2013 Mazda 6 check engine codes P2243 and P0134

dclovell

:
2013 MaZDA 6
Hi,

Two Fridays ago we had a very rainy and raw day here in New York. On my way back to work from lunch, my check engine light came on. When I got back to work, I took the gas cap off and put it back on. Four hours later when I went to work, the light was off. About a week later, we had another rainy day and after driving through a puddle the light came on again. I took it to AutoZone to be scanned. They gave me codes P2243 and P0134. They cleared the codes and the light came on again on a wet day.

AutoZone said the codes mean both O2 sensors need replacing. Is this true, or should just the upper one be changed?

Please advise...I an 99% sure I can change the upper one as it's right on the top of the engine. I'm not so sure about the one by the catalytic converter though.

Thank you in advance.

Dave

Yes it sounds like the O2 sensor is dead. You just need to change the pre-cat one and I suspect you're over 100,000 miles by now on a 2013? Average O2 sensor makes 120-150k miles max. Any O2 sensor after the cat is only to determine there is a cat converter present and can be ignored.

Back