Thread: CorkSport Intake CX-9 2016+

Registered Member

2018 CX-9 Signature

CorkSport Intake CX-9 2016+

CorkSport recently released an intake for the Mazda 6 2.5T which also works for the CX-9 2016+. Looking at their website, the intake was dynoed to produce 8 to 12 more HP and with the added surprise of the turbo and bypass valve sound. Here's the their video of the product in action: https://youtu.be/aUtW1PsZA28
    I went ahead and placed an order about 2 days ago and it quickly arrived today. I have to say this is not your typical unknown brand intake from Ebay. The material and build quality is quite impressive from the T-Bolt clamps all the way to the billet MAF housing. You really do get what you paid for. It came with a detailed install instruction which helped me complete the swap in about 30 mins. After that is where the fun started. I went for a quick test drive and honestly expecting nothing more than maybe a slight increase in intake noise but what I got instead was a very audible whirl of the turbo and whoooosh of the bypass valve every time I let off the gas. With the window up, I can easily hear it in the cabin if the radio is not turned up high. With the window down, you can definitely hear it regardless. I'm hoping over time, the sound doesn't get annoying enough where I want to put the original airbox back. As for the increase in HP, I can't tell yet since my only test drive consisted of driving around the neighborhood at a moderate speed. I'll have a better butt dyno feel once I get a chance to take it onto freeway and bring the RPM up. Overall so far this intake already surpassed my expectation.

Last edited by Cx-9 Guy; 12-01-2018 at 05:09 AM.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Nice! Can't wait to get mine.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that we have the exact same oil catch can mounted to the exact same location in the engine bay. Lol!

Off-topic, but how long have you had the catch can installed? Have you actually captured any blow-by in the can yet? I've put about 3k miles on the car since installing mine and it's still dry to the touch inside.

Registered Member

2018 CX-9 Signature

Guess where I got the catch can install instruction from? Thanks to your post!
    I only put about 1k of driving since the install. The last I checked was around 800 miles and it was also dry inside. Maybe the oils catcher that already exist is more than adequate? I don't mind having an additional layer of protection. The only thing bothering me is the catch can weight is bending the fusing box lid. Need to find a more solid mounting point or somehow reinforce the lid itself.

Registered Member

Mazda, 2016 CX-9 Signature

I have had my intake on for over a week and I find the noise is slight. I know everyone is different when it comes to what is noisy and what isn't. I have a 2016 and yours is a 2018. I just wonder since it's a electronically controlled valve if Mazda made adjustments between the years on how it operates. As you know on other threads I have the Corksport exhaust on and wasn't happy about how loud it was so I just used the axel back and was very pleased with the tone. I would ask Corksport if they would sell you just the axel back. I think you will be pleased with the tone. I also noticed the oil catch can and would love to know how you routed the lines. I thought my speed3 was a maze but the CX-9 is much worse. It would be nice if Corksport would do one for the CX-9 just because their instructions are so precise.

Registered Member

2018 CX-9 Signature

I'm also interested in their exhaust too. I was hesitant to spend 1200 until I hear more first hand experiences. When you said you just used the axel back portion, are you mounting it to the oem mid pipe? And it mounts with out any modification to the flange that connects the two? If so, I would ask CorkSport if they're willing to sell me just the axel back.

Registered Member

Mazda, 2016 CX-9 Signature

Yes the axel back bolts to the OEM mid pipe. I think it is the best way to go. It took me about 30-40 minutes to replace. No modifications needed.

Registered Member

2016 cx-9 signature

The turbo noise still not getting old yet. Now im waiting forthem to come out with the intercooler and boost pipe!

But im wondering if it might need a tune with the intercooler and boost pipe with all the added flow in addition to to the SRI and exhaust