CorkSport Intake CX-9 2016+

:
2018 CX-9 Signature
CorkSport recently released an intake for the Mazda 6 2.5T which also works for the CX-9 2016+. Looking at their website, the intake was dynoed to produce 8 to 12 more HP and with the added surprise of the turbo and bypass valve sound. Here's the their video of the product in action: https://youtu.be/aUtW1PsZA28
I went ahead and placed an order about 2 days ago and it quickly arrived today. I have to say this is not your typical unknown brand intake from Ebay. The material and build quality is quite impressive from the T-Bolt clamps all the way to the billet MAF housing. You really do get what you paid for. It came with a detailed install instruction which helped me complete the swap in about 30 mins. After that is where the fun started. I went for a quick test drive and honestly expecting nothing more than maybe a slight increase in intake noise but what I got instead was a very audible whirl of the turbo and whoooosh of the bypass valve every time I let off the gas. With the window up, I can easily hear it in the cabin if the radio is not turned up high. With the window down, you can definitely hear it regardless. I'm hoping over time, the sound doesn't get annoying enough where I want to put the original airbox back. As for the increase in HP, I can't tell yet since my only test drive consisted of driving around the neighborhood at a moderate speed. I'll have a better butt dyno feel once I get a chance to take it onto freeway and bring the RPM up. Overall so far this intake already surpassed my expectation.

2ut2tfa.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Can't wait to get mine.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that we have the exact same oil catch can mounted to the exact same location in the engine bay. Lol!

attachment.php

Off-topic, but how long have you had the catch can installed? Have you actually captured any blow-by in the can yet? I've put about 3k miles on the car since installing mine and it's still dry to the touch inside.

Guess where I got the catch can install instruction from? Thanks to your post! (cryhard)
I only put about 1k of driving since the install. The last I checked was around 800 miles and it was also dry inside. Maybe the oils catcher that already exist is more than adequate? I don't mind having an additional layer of protection. The only thing bothering me is the catch can weight is bending the fusing box lid. Need to find a more solid mounting point or somehow reinforce the lid itself.

I have had my intake on for over a week and I find the noise is slight. I know everyone is different when it comes to what is noisy and what isn't. I have a 2016 and yours is a 2018. I just wonder since it's a electronically controlled valve if Mazda made adjustments between the years on how it operates. As you know on other threads I have the Corksport exhaust on and wasn't happy about how loud it was so I just used the axel back and was very pleased with the tone. I would ask Corksport if they would sell you just the axel back. I think you will be pleased with the tone. I also noticed the oil catch can and would love to know how you routed the lines. I thought my speed3 was a maze but the CX-9 is much worse. It would be nice if Corksport would do one for the CX-9 just because their instructions are so precise.

I'm also interested in their exhaust too. I was hesitant to spend 1200 until I hear more first hand experiences. When you said you just used the axel back portion, are you mounting it to the oem mid pipe? And it mounts with out any modification to the flange that connects the two? If so, I would ask CorkSport if they're willing to sell me just the axel back.

Yes the axel back bolts to the OEM mid pipe. I think it is the best way to go. It took me about 30-40 minutes to replace. No modifications needed.

The turbo noise still not getting old yet. Now im waiting forthem to come out with the intercooler and boost pipe!

But im wondering if it might need a tune with the intercooler and boost pipe with all the added flow in addition to to the SRI and exhaust

Just placed my order. This should be interesting! Hopefully I get it just before Christmas. Ho Ho Oh Hell Yeah! :D

Just got an update that there's about a 4 week wait on these. Bummer! I was really looking forward to putting it on this weekend.

Just got an update that there's about a 4 week wait on these. Bummer! I was really looking forward to putting it on this weekend.
Did you ask if it is just because of the clamp color? I was told when i bought mine that if i wanted black i would have to wait but the chrome one was readily available. So i went with chrome. Not a big difference imo.

Did you ask if it is just because of the clamp color? I was told when i bought mine that if i wanted black i would have to wait but the chrome one was readily available. So i went with chrome. Not a big difference imo.

This was their communication:

Thank you so much for your order.

Wanting to let you know we are currently in production of more intakes for the new turbo'd Mazda6.

We are targeting having them back in stock and ready to ship in about 4 weeks.

I will update you if this changes.

Sounds like they're short on the actual intakes. But thanks for the heads up, I'll ask if it's just the clamp color.

This was their communication:

Thank you so much for your order.

Wanting to let you know we are currently in production of more intakes for the new turbo'd Mazda6.

We are targeting having them back in stock and ready to ship in about 4 weeks.

I will update you if this changes.

Sounds like they're short on the actual intakes. But thanks for the heads up, I'll ask if it's just the clamp color.
That is what they saw initially for me too bc i initially picked black but they double checked and it was just the clamps... but of course i got mine a few weeks ago so it might be something else now.

Yup, not just the clamps this time.

We are out of stock on a couple different items for the intake, not the clamps this time.

Just an update on tuning. Since I have the Cork Sport Intake and only used the axel back of their exhaust I was going to get the car tuned. Orange Virus tuning is only doing Toyota Trucks now. I was never a real big fan of them just for the fact they don't give out their phone number. Since Cork Sport is working on a new intercooler and plumbing I may hold off but I will be talking to DR Tuning about doing my CX-9. They have experience with the sky active motors but not with the new 2.5T. Will keep everyone informed with updates.

Just an update on tuning. Since I have the Cork Sport Intake and only used the axel back of their exhaust I was going to get the car tuned. Orange Virus tuning is only doing Toyota Trucks now. I was never a real big fan of them just for the fact they don't give out their phone number. Since Cork Sport is working on a new intercooler and plumbing I may hold off but I will be talking to DR Tuning about doing my CX-9. They have experience with the sky active motors but not with the new 2.5T. Will keep everyone informed with updates.
Sweet! Yah im waiting for the intercooler to come out as well. I wonder what kind of numbers we can get...

Nice! Can't wait to get mine.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that we have the exact same oil catch can mounted to the exact same location in the engine bay. Lol!

attachment.php

Off-topic, but how long have you had the catch can installed? Have you actually captured any blow-by in the can yet? I've put about 3k miles on the car since installing mine and it's still dry to the touch inside.

That can be a result of where the can is installed and what lines are tapped, as well as the quality of the can itself. On my NA 2.5g my can is mounted LOW (near exhaust header) and it catches a lot of blowby.

That can be a result of where the can is installed and what lines are tapped, as well as the quality of the can itself. On my NA 2.5g my can is mounted LOW (near exhaust header) and it catches a lot of blowby.

Would you happen to have any pics of your setup? Specifically how it's plumbed. I'm pretty sure I plumbed my can correctly but it doesn't hurt to check to make sure I labeled everything properly.

Here's a link to my install, and a pic of how I plumbed the can:
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...n-CX-9-Aftermarket-oil-catch-can-installation

attachment.php

Here's a couple of pics of the can's internals:

attachment.php

attachment.php

And here's an excerpt from the PDF I referenced. This is part of the reason I mounted the can where I did.

"When mounting catch cans, you should follow the instructions that come with whatever can(s) you purchase. In general, it*s better to have them mounted relatively high in the engine compartment so that air exiting the engine does not flow down into the catch can. The reason is that if the catch can is mounted lower than the air outlet on the engine, any large oil droplets that get through the PCV valve will tend to drain down into the catch can rather than back into the engine. In most cases this isn*t a big deal, but it can be significant under certain engine and driving conditions."

This PDF also advocates getting rid of the OEM PCV valve and running two catch cans instead, like this:

attachment.php

dualccsystem.JPG

Chris, your feedback on all of these points would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Any updates from those of you using the intake? Any one have longer videos of acceleration runs and normal driving? I'm considering getting one but I'm paranoid about causing any damage to the engine by adding an intake without a tune.

Any updates from those of you using the intake? Any one have longer videos of acceleration runs and normal driving? I'm considering getting one but I'm paranoid about causing any damage to the engine by adding an intake without a tune.

Just saw this. My only performance/engine mod is the intake. I have a dashcam, so I'll record the drive home without the music on and the windows down you can get an idea of what it sounds like. Hopefully the cam can catch the sound.

Also, just fyi, I've had the intake installed for a couple of weeks now and put almost two full tank's worth of driving on it (one tank on a weekend road trip with the family). Absolutely no issues or hiccups to report.

So if I had seen this thread last week I'd have been "Oooo I could use some more ponies!"
But in light of the fact that today's oil change and tire rotation became "engine replacement under warranty due to coolant leak" I'm skeptical of how much these engines can take.

Back