Service for Engine

:
2014 cx5 2.2 d sport nav 5d 148 bhp (64 Reg)
Hi Everyone,

I've got 56,000.00 on the clocks of my 2.2 Diesel 150BHP. when is the best time to change the timing belt kit. which brand of engine oil, coolant and spark plugs do you use or recommend.

this is my first time using a diesel car and its all new to me so I don't want to mess it up. I noticed the CX5 has no service record book. I've got a trusted mechanic who have sorted my cars out for over 15 years and not prepared to pay to Mazda for it. However, do you guys take it to Mazda for digital service recording and get a print out or do you not bother?

Well, the CX5 diesel has a timing chain, not a belt, so no replacement involved there.

Mazda specifies the coolant type that must be used, FL22, so only use it. The owners manual includes details.

A diesel engine does not have spark plugs so there are none to replace.

These diesel engines require a specific high grade low sulphur fully synthetic engine oil, and failure to use the correct spec oil WILL cause engine and or DPF failures that will cost MEGA $ to fix. Again, check your owners manual for the specs of the oil. The specs will differ from Country to Country due to weather conditions, here in Aus we are specified a 5W 30 meeting JASO DL-1 or ACEA C-3 standards for Mazda DPF engines. Dont expect it to be cheap because it is not. But again, check your owners manual for specs required in your country. I use an Australian made oil from Penrite, but Valvoline also makes a suitable spec oil as do other major manufacturers.

Also, at each oil change you must reset the oil data in the engine BCM, this can be done by the dealer with the engine hooked up to the diagnostic computer, or by following the procedure set out in the owners manual.

So make sure that your trusted mechanic is fully aware of these requirements before letting him or her loose on your Mazda diesel.

An advantage of Mazda dealer servicing is that any software updates will be done automatically and on time, there have been a few, so it may be worth at least getting the first service done at a dealer and asking them to ensure that all software updates and any required recall/service advisory items have been done.

Also, there was a recent announcement out of Mazda Japan that a large number of CX5 diesels were to be recalled for valve spring replacements, this has not yet flowed thru to dealers in other countries but I expect within the next couple of months we will hear about it from Mazda locally and it will then be happening in all affected countries.

Last edited:
Well, the CX5 diesel has a timing chain, not a belt, so no replacement involved there.

Mazda specifies the coolant type that must be used, FL22, so only use it. The owners manual includes details.

A diesel engine does not have spark plugs so there are none to replace.

These diesel engines require a specific high grade low sulphur fully synthetic engine oil, and failure to use the correct spec oil WILL cause engine and or DPF failures that will cost MEGA $ to fix. Again, check your owners manual for the specs of the oil. The specs will differ from Country to Country due to weather conditions, here in Aus we are specified a 5W 30 meeting JASO DL-1 or ACEA C-3 standards for Mazda DPF engines. Dont expect it to be cheap because it is not. But again, check your owners manual for specs required in your country. I use an Australian made oil from Penrite, but Valvoline also makes a suitable spec oil as do other major manufacturers.

Also, at each oil change you must reset the oil data in the engine BCM, this can be done by the dealer with the engine hooked up to the diagnostic computer, or by following the procedure set out in the owners manual.

So make sure that your trusted mechanic is fully aware of these requirements before letting him or her loose on your Mazda diesel.

An advantage of Mazda dealer servicing is that any software updates will be done automatically and on time, there have been a few, so it may be worth at least getting the first service done at a dealer and asking them to ensure that all software updates and any required recall/service advisory items have been done.

Also, there was a recent announcement out of Mazda Japan that a large number of CX5 diesels were to be recalled for valve spring replacements, this has not yet flowed thru to dealers in other countries but I expect within the next couple of months we will hear about it from Mazda locally and it will then be happening in all affected countries.

thanks so much..... I owe u a Fosters ;)

LOL no-one that I know drinks that stuff! Its a Melbourne thing, like VB!

Anyway happy to help out.

Note that this forum is predominantly inhabited by US owners, and so far, no Mazda CX5/Mazda 6 diesels available in the States, so bear that in mind.

There are nevertheless a few Brits, Au and Eu participants around though who have actual first hand experience with diesel models. Model specs and designations vary quite markedly between different countries which does tend to confuse things a bit. A notable example is that diesels are not available in manual transmission outside the UK/EU.

Cheers!

Last edited:
LOL no-one that I know drinks that stuff! Its a Melbourne thing, like VB!

Anyway happy to help out.

Note that this forum is predominantly inhabited by US owners, and so far, no Mazda CX5/Mazda 6 diesels available in the States, so bear that in mind.

There are nevertheless a few Brits, Au and Eu participants around though who have actual first hand experience with diesel models. Model specs and designations vary quite markedly between different countries which does tend to confuse things a bit. A notable example is that diesels are not available in manual transmission outside the UK/EU.

Cheers!

yeah I'm aware of that thank you so much.

do u have the coming and leaving home lights activated on your cx5? mine in not activated. one of the most annoying things in this car is the lack of visual TPMS. I think they could have done better and these cars ain't cheap plus lower end cars have this option anyway. I accept I have a 1st generation but Mazda needs to change their calendar from 1987.

Mine is a 2015 MY that was the first major update, the first version that has the electronic park brake. And has the MZD connect system with larger screen and doesnt use the TomTom mapping. New one is Mazda but Garmin maps underneath.

Mine is the top of the model range as well. Called Akera here. Like a GT with tech pack plus some extras.

So may well be different features from yours.

It has the TPMS system that works off the ABS system, and it doesnt show the individual tyre pressures on the dash. It has the tpms set button on the dash to the right of the wheel. So set the tyre pressures, then hold the button until it beeps and its set. If one tyre pressure drops it will alarm. Pretty sure this is same on the 2012-14 models. I also had a 2013 GT diesel.

The current models have the more comprehensive system with TP monitors in each wheel.

I have the leaving lighting set but not the coming home - just personal preference. In settings, vehicle. You have to have the engine turned on to activate those options.

Last edited:
Mine is a 2015 MY that was the first major update, the first version that has the electronic park brake. And has the MZD connect system with larger screen and doesnt use the TomTom mapping. New one is Mazda but Garmin maps underneath.

Mine is the top of the model range as well. Called Akera here. Like a GT with tech pack plus some extras.

So may well be different features from yours.

The current models have the more comprehensive system with TP monitors in each wheel..

I have the leaving lighting set but not the coming home - just personal preference. In settings, vehicle. You have to have the engine turned on to activate those options.
of I'll try it on mine

It has the TPMS system that works off the ABS system, and it doesn't show the individual tyre pressures on the dash. It has the tpms set button on the dash to the right of the wheel. So set the tyre pressures, then hold the button until it beeps and its set. If one tyre pressure drops it will alarm. Pretty sure this is same on the 2012-14 models. I also had a 2013 GT diesel.
yeah mine too. I'm grateful Moonlighter

Back