Called it *accident*

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
What have I said a few times the past few months? Gotta stop talking about how I haven't been in an accident and I'm doomed now.
Yeah...it happened: in my Volvo.
Not my fault though.
Sitting at a stoplight and got rear ended. My 8 year old in the back.
First things first we are both fine.
Cars not. Had to be towed.
He claims he slid on ice. Except there was none. Looking at his phone, I bet.
First day loaner was a Dodge Ram 1500. I hated that so much. I can't believe people who don't need these for a job buy them. I don't see the draw. Takes up the entire damn lane. Feels like driving a boat. Interior is so ******* huge I feel like I can get up and walk over to the passenger seat. Not a good thing imo. Does a center console need to be that big? Never hated a car so much. That includes you rental Mitsubishi back in 2006 which was my worst until today
IfI took it back today and got a Hyundai Tucson. Only drive it once so far but surprised how this base model accelerates. Not bad at all. Love the DRLs.
I'll report more as I spend time with it.
Hope my Volvo doesn't get totalled. I know it looks ok in the picture, but it's got some damage. Rear end looks slightly askew. Damn near irreplaceable car. Ours is a 13 with 44,000 miles. Nationwide search on Auto trader showed me one with less miles. One.
75a3a534b79758395ac2726bd472f281.jpg
249dc014595c83589ce638140157a9e1.jpg
7f854716f2d04113069aa84bf7da793c.jpg

Same thing happened to my wife a few years ago at a stop light. Guy drove into her, and pushed her into the guy in front.
Car was damaged both front and back, but was repairable. Guy that hit her was "distracted". Right. Cell phone for sure.
Speaking of rentals, over the years I've been surprised, both ways, with some of the rentals I've had.
Some of the badder cars were a Dodge Caliber, and a Chevy HHR. Goodness they were awful.

Eh it was an ugly car anyway..jk(Christmas Vacation reference) that sucks dude- wow Ram 1500 loaner that's fkg bizarre- sorry it is pita esp when it clearly was the fault of a dumbass on their phone..but at least you and your boy are ok. Mine turns 8 next week- can't friggin believe it.

Sorry to hear it, 7. That sucks. Glad you're both ok.

Nothing is more infuriating then getting rear ended! I am sorry 7eregrine and happy to hear everyone is OK. With any luck it should be repairable. In my limited experience with accidents back end damage is repairable. Fingers crossed for you!

What have I said a few times the past few months? Gotta stop talking about how I haven't been in an accident and I'm doomed now.
Yeah...it happened: in my Volvo.
Not my fault though.
Sitting at a stoplight and got rear ended. My 8 year old in the back.
First things first we are both fine.
Cars not. Had to be towed.
Glad you and your 8 year old are okay!

Now I really appreciate the full-sized alloy spare tire hanging on the rear door of my 1998 Honda CR-V. It provides the 5th wheel either for tire rotation, or a spare alloy wheel in case any one road wheels gets damaged. But to my surprise it also provides excellent protection during the rear-end collision. In 20+ years of reliable service it got rear ended 3 times. Every time my CR-V escaped any damage other than some scratches on the spare tire plastic cover. One time a Chevy Corsica hit me and the whole front end of it crushed with the hood bent like a 𠆢!

Glad you and your 8 year old are okay!

Now I really appreciate the full-sized alloy spare tire hanging on the rear door of my 1998 Honda CR-V. It provides the 5th wheel either for tire rotation, or a spare alloy wheel in case any one road wheels gets damaged. But to my surprise it also provides excellent protection during the rear-end collision. In 20+ years of reliable service it got rear ended 3 times. Every time my CR-V escaped any damage other than some scratches on the spare tire plastic cover. One time a Chevy Corsica hit me and the whole front end of it crushed with the hood bent like a ****!

Hood is designed to easily and rapidly bend as such, as well as front end crushing. Crumple zones and protection for the driver via blocking the windshield (had the wreck "progressed" in severity, the hood would have deflected items from puncturing windshield).
http://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/f...6_10154923756195849_8917044329032253002_o.jpg
-Deer hit at 114mph by officer, note hood protecting windscreen.

Cars are cool.

Hood is designed to easily and rapidly bend as such, as well as front end crushing. Crumple zones and protection for the driver via blocking the windshield (had the wreck "progressed" in severity, the hood would have deflected items from puncturing windshield).
http://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/f...6_10154923756195849_8917044329032253002_o.jpg
-Deer hit at 114mph by officer, note hood protecting windscreen.

Cars are cool.
Yes I understand the front crumple zone design on modern vehicles. But that Corsica rear-ended my CR-V, or actually hit the hanging spare tire, suffered more severe damage than the one rear-ended 7eregrine's Volvo. And my CR-V suffered no damage other than scratches on spare tire cover, but 7eregrine's Volvo had to be towed! I credited it to the hanging spare tire as an excellent cushion during the collision.

⋯ Cars not. Had to be towed.
75a3a534b79758395ac2726bd472f281.jpg

I honestly dont understand the appeal of driving a truck when you dont need too either but its rampant around here.

Ouch...really glad you and the kiddo are ok 7.

Happened to me in my CX-5 sitting at a light too. It was raining and some jackass kid in a pickup truck had completely bald tires and couldn't stop. Get this...he gets out of the truck after ramming into me and says "oh man, that's the second time this has happened". Sigh.

Good to hear, that you are all OK.
It happened to me too, something very similar, I was rear ended in my 88' 760T Volvo, by a Dodge pickup truck, at the stop light. Old guy was drinking his coke and forget to stop. It was downhill as well. I had my pregnant wife next to mee. We have also lost that baby, course we can't prove that the accident caused it or not. The whole trunk bent down. I had a rebuild engine just put in(by me), a month prior the accident. I loved that car. It was in perfect shape(not even a scratch on the paint, after 14 years, not like my spoiler on the CX5).

Got rear ended a few times. One guy even admitted he was changing songs on his phone! He produced a valid insurance card at the time of the accident, but I later found out it was expired at the time and my insurance company couldn't find him. I hate people who phone and drive.

Thanks everyone! <3 you guys. :p

Good news. The Volvo has no frame damage and is being repaired. Should have it back next Friday. $4,500 in repairs.

Speaking of rentals, over the years I've been surprised, both ways, with some of the rentals I've had.
Some of the badder cars were a Dodge Caliber, and a Chevy HHR. Goodness they were awful.

I had a rental HHR once and didn't love but didn't hate it either. Kind of liked the interior.

Moneterra said:
Eh it was an ugly car anyway..jk(Christmas Vacation reference) that sucks dude- wow Ram 1500 loaner that's fkg bizarre-

LOL! Love that film. Just watched it AGAIN a few days ago.
The Enterprise lot is one of those suburban lots, not like an airport one. So they have whatever was returned that day. They had minivans and pickup trucks only on Weds, yesterday they had all sedans and cuvs too.

Unobtanium said:
Glad you and yours are okay!
What's so special about the Volvo?

2013 was the last model year of Volvo's 5 cylinder turbo hardtop convertible. And they didn't sell that many. Because of this they are almost... almost not quite...kind of collectors items. Add to the fact that they didn't sell many and they are kind of rare. Dealer calls us twice a year: you ready to trade that in yet? Wife rplies: you got a hardtop convertible to replace it with?
Talk to you in 6 months....
So it's not possible to get a brand new one which is why we intend to keep it as long as we can. Apparently convertible sales have also been tanking for the last 5-8 years across the board in addition to 'normal' cars.

jthj said:
I honestly dont understand the appeal of driving a truck when you dont need too either but its rampant around here.

My buddy has one that he doesn't 'need' and I always cut him some slack because I love him but after driving this behemoth? He's getting an earful. I do NOT get the appeal. I'd MUCH rather drive a Grand Cherokee or a CX-9 or whatever Honda's big one is. Pilot? Now my office manager has one but he tows a big ass camper to different state parks all summer. Yea...i get that.
Climbing up INTO the thing... I'm 6 foot and think it's just to high. Damn near FELL out of it the first time I ... dismounted.

As for the Tuscon... gotta say so far: color me impressed.
It has better brakes then the CX5 and feels almost peppier. Can you believe that? I need more time to really confirm but it's not as 'driving a busy' as the Cherokee is.
Yea, so far feels a smidge quicker then the CX5... except for one thing.... it feels like it is NOT meant to be punched. When I get on the freeway by my house I almost always punch it. The freeway is near empty at this point so I hit the floor and scoot over to the high speed lane pretty quickly. The Mazda is PLANTED when I do this. It feels like it was designed for that. PLANTED is the only word I can think of after doing that with the Tuscon today. Contrary to the CX5 it feels squirrely. Like it's sort of losing grip on one tire or another. Like it needs a split second to compose itself before taking off. Like it might lose, or does lose, traction a bit as it takes off.
This could be the difference between AWD and FWD though. The Tuscon is FWD.

That's nothing these days..wifes hl took over 6k when a few tree limbs graced the front end this spring. Oh well-guess that modern classic won't be out of its misery just yet..too soon?

Jk man- had to squeeze one more in there- but glad all is ok and the wife's car will be fixed- hopefully soon.

Last edited:
Back