New (2018) CX-9. Body side moldings?

Zuman

:
2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Hello All.
Just took delivery of a 2018 Sonic Silver CX-9 Signature.
I've always had body side moldings as a dealer-installed accessory on my vehicles, but Mazda doesn't offer them. And those long, smooth flanks look like an open invitation to somebody to mutilate my new baby with a carelessly-opened door in a parking lot somewhere.
Has this been a problem, or am I worrying needlessly?
Does anyone have an aftermarket solution they're happy with (and any photos)?
Thanks!

It's fair to worry about that kind of thing, for sure. No way to predict who you park beside to ensure that their door doesn't meet yours.

I have one very tiny paint chip on one of my doors. I can only tell its there when I'm drying my car after washing it.

There are aftermarket body side moldings that come paint-matched all over eBay. No idea how good those are though.

Get the Ding Shield coverage by SmartShield. Some up front cost and an additional clear coat added but it covers pretty much any exterior damage save chips from the highway (as that falls under "normal wear and tear"). You'll be covered for any scratches, dings, dents, sun fade, damage from trees & birds and so on for the life of the vehicle.

I got Mazda factory side moulding strips installed by the dealer on my 2017 6GT.
It was always available. It has Mazda 6 imprinted in the moulding as well. Colour matched to boot. Looks really good.
I don't see why this would not be available for the 9.

I don't understand how a thin piece of molding is going to save a vehicle from getting door dings from other cars. Vehicles sit at different heights and door edges are curved differently. As a result, different vehicles' doors are going to hit your car at different heights. How can you position a strip of molding to save yourself from all these dings or even the majority of them?

I don't understand how a thin piece of molding is going to save a vehicle from getting door dings from other cars. Vehicles sit at different heights and door edges are curved differently. As a result, different vehicles' doors are going to hit your car at different heights. How can you position a strip of molding to save yourself from all these dings or even the majority of them?

It's better than nothing, isn't it?

I suppose, if you don't mind the looks of the molding. I think that being careful about where and how you park is more effective (and cost effective).

I suppose, if you don't mind the looks of the molding. I think that being careful about where and how you park is more effective (and cost effective).

I agree, but you can't control who chooses to park next to you regardless of how or where you choose to park. Sometimes you have to park in a tight spot (movie theater, grocery store, holiday shopping, etc.). Other times, even if you park 50 ft from the closest car, you'll come out to see that someone chose to park in the spot right next to you for no real reason.

Truth be told, if you use your car for anything other than car shows and keep it garaged, the doors will get dinged and scratches will happen no matter what you do. (shrug)

Fortunately the paintless dent repair guys typically do a good job and are affordable.

My ding prevention is my 95 accord as my daily commuter and parking in isolated spots or find parallel parking. So far i have only one minor chip over 2 years.

I agree, but you can't control who chooses to park next to you regardless of how or where you choose to park. Sometimes you have to park in a tight spot (movie theater, grocery store, holiday shopping, etc.). Other times, even if you park 50 ft from the closest car, you'll come out to see that someone chose to park in the spot right next to you for no real reason.

Truth be told, if you use your car for anything other than car shows and keep it garaged, the doors will get dinged and scratches will happen no matter what you do. (shrug)
I know right...those people are dicks. That is why i choose the car to park next to if i have to go to go to busy parking lots. I typically park in where it looks like employee areas where cars dont tend to move as much and parking next to the necer cars or cars that dont have chips on the edges which tells you if they hit things with their door. If you find a car with those rubber edge guards that is a plus.

If the parking spaces are slanted, i angle the car more perpendicular to the curb than the cars next to me so that it gives a lot of room for any potential opening doors or the angle of the swing would just miss your car entirely.

Back