charging battery with trickle charger

ashdale

:
cx5
I hope this is the correct forum for electrical questions!

When I collected my four yearl old CX5 from the dealer after a safety recall, I mentioned that my Istop system ceased working a few weeks ago. The guy said the battery was probably a bit low, take the car on a long journey to charge it up again. Now I won't be going on any "long" journey in the near future, just short ones. So can I just clip on the leads of my trickle charger and leave it overnight?

I ask because I know the stop/start batteries are not conventional lead-acid ones and need a different charging cycle. Would my trickle charger harm this new sort of battery?

Is there any warning light on the dash?
Q85 battery is needed for i-Eloop as well as i-Stop system.
These batteries are expensive (>$350 USD).
In addition, re-programming is needed (at least in case of i-Eloop).
In my case, I had "Battery Management System Malfunction" on the dash.
It shows up every week for one day.
(guess the voltage got too low)
I could still start engine fine. No issue.

I wired my CX-5 with a connector for a CTEK (56-864) MUS4.3 12 Volt Fully Automatic 8 Step Battery Charger.

I charge every 15 days or so. I don't drive the car much.

The charger has a recondition mode that balances the individual cells. I use this about twice a year.

Yes you can put a "Trickle" battery charger on overnight or a better solution would be to use a charger with an automatic charger reducing system. Ed

Trickle charger are typically only a 1 to 2 amp charge and can be left on for 20 hours or more if the battery needs charging.

I have a 1 amp maintainer/charger on my Corvette and it works fine. The C5 vet apparently has a relative high dead current which will run my big battery down in 2-3 weeks.

well, I'm not using it on the cx5 , just was wondering if that battery tender is compatible
with the battery on the cx5..........

well, I'm not using it on the cx5 , just was wondering if that battery tender is compatible
with the battery on the cx5..........

Sorry, I should have said I don't see why not. But I haven't tried it myself.

Back