Who plans to retrofit Apple Carplay or Android Auto into your 6?

2016 Mazda 6 and was just quoted $200 for the Apple carplay iphone mirroring kit and the service install fee $250.

The part was on sale for $140 last night. Keep searching for it.
MSRP $199.
Labor is 1.5 hrs for US (suggested). That means $200 range.
So, dealers are likely to quote you around $400.
Negotiate the cost with that in mind.

There is a guy on youtube who showed the entire process very clearly.
Search for "Mazda android auto install", and you will see it. His name is Greg. Young Asian dude.
If you dare to DIY. $150 total is possible.
Firmware v70 is required.

part-I:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOETm9Az2yw
part-II:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op6A5_e3ncU

Last edited:
The part was on sale for $140 last night. Keep searching for it.
MSRP $199.
Labor is 1.5 hrs for US (suggested). That means $200 range.
So, dealers are likely to quote you around $400.
Negotiate the cost with that in mind.

There is a guy on youtube who showed the entire process very clearly.
Search for "Mazda android auto install", and you will see it. His name is Greg. Young Asian dude.
If you dare to DIY. $150 total is possible.
Firmware v70 is required.

part-I:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOETm9Az2yw
part-II:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op6A5_e3ncU

Hmmmm. I could probably install all that myself but if I could get it done for $150 labor I think I would just pay them to do it.

If you frequent the dealership and drive a hard bargain, you might get it done for $350 or lower.
I plan to try at next oil change to see if I can get it done for $300 or less.
One of my co-worker is planning to do it himself. He got the part for $140 online.
Firmware needs to be updated to v70 first. Then, talk about installing the hardware.

Thats not bad. The dealership I go to quoted me $340 out the door, can't really beat that since the Mazda Connect and navigation chip install would cost me $400 easy.

My '18 came with AA and CP already installed and honestly, I'm barely using it. I really thought I'd be more into it but I still just use Mazda Connect because I just listen to XM and occasionally music through Bluetooth from my phone which works just fine with Mazda's interface. The main benefit for me was being able to use Google maps but that is only occasionally that I need navigation. My '18 CX-9 doesn't have it and I'm seeing no reason to upgrade.

Sounds like overall the upgrade isn't worth the expense.

Honestly, I don't know why people complain about Mazda Connect concerning most of the everyday things you really need. I'm sure there's some people who do heavy phone related things that would really appreciate AA/AC. Particularly with voice command accuracy. My biggest gripe with OEM navigation is the inputting part of the task. With Google maps you just speak the address and it almost never fails. Not the case with Mazda's nav or many other OEM's. If I want the ease of Google maps, ultimately I can just mount my phone.

$400? I wouldn't do it after using both setups. I just get it my car and listen to XM. Sometimes I'll stream off my Google Play library in which AA doesn't really add any value. It's still on the display through Mazda Connect.

Honestly, I don't know why people complain about Mazda Connect concerning most of the everyday things you really need. I'm sure there's some people who do heavy phone related things that would really appreciate AA/AC. Particularly with voice command accuracy. My biggest gripe with OEM navigation is the inputting part of the task. With Google maps you just speak the address and it almost never fails. Not the case with Mazda's nav or many other OEM's. If I want the ease of Google maps, ultimately I can just mount my phone.

$400? I wouldn't do it after using both setups. I just get it my car and listen to XM. Sometimes I'll stream off my Google Play library in which AA doesn't really add any value. It's still on the display through Mazda Connect.

Makes sense. My main gripe is the Mazda nav system really sucks in my opinion. I've updated it every year but still takes stupid routes to places I know when I "test" it. I subscribe to Sirius and if AA worked well I was thinking of ditching Sirius and use music apps through AA as an alternative. Those are the only two reasons I was/am considering it. On a long trip I pull the Garmin out of my MX5 and will typically use that but I shouldn't have to. The nav in the 6 should be better. Much better.

Latest posts

Back