2019 Mazda 3 will have i-Activ AWD system with torque vectoring

:
2019 Mazda CX-9 Signature, Machine Grey Metallic
Per Road and Track's article 2019 Mazda3 Has Mazda's Compression-Ignition Gasoline Engine of the Future:

And for the first time, the Mazda 3 will offer all-wheel drive. The i-Activ AWD system will have front-rear torque vectoring and brake-based yaw control, and Mazda says the new AWD setup reduces mechanical losses by up to 60 percent compared to previous designs, improving fuel economy. We suspect that, for the North American market, all-wheel drive will be paired with the 2.5-liter engine. At this time, it's unclear whether all-wheel drive will be available with the manual transmission.

Does this mean a hardware change to the i-Activ AWD system or would this be just a software update that can be retrofitted to current vehicles with i-Activ, like the CX-9?

I assume there was no news on the Sky-X engine today. Honestly, that worries me. I don't think the Mazda 3 will sell well with the standard 2.5 NA.

I assume there was no news on the Sky-X engine today. Honestly, that worries me. I don't think the Mazda 3 will sell well with the standard 2.5 NA.

Actually, the 3 will be getting the Skyactiv-X engine. Not sure yet if North America will be getting it. The announced the 3 will be getting 5 engines including a diesel (yeah, like they did with the Mazda 6). However, there were no specifications provided on the Skyactiv-X. So, whatever numbers were previously reported about the engine still stands, until Mazda releases official figures.

With the skyactiv 2.5T, will this be a STI/EVO competitor? hmmmmmmmm....

Not likely. People who might be cross-shopping the STI/EVO wouldn't likely consider an automatic front-biased AWD car with a rear torsion bar suspension system.

To complete, it would need (at a minimum) a manual option with LSD on the AWD trim. Even then it would be a hard sell.

Imagine though, the hatch with a retuned 2.5T mated to a manual 6-speed and LSD, rear-biased AWD, and multi-link rear suspension. The Speed3 would be reborn! But it would be too expensive for Mazda to produce.

They need to make a 4 doors Miata with 2.5T

It would be a challenge to keep the 50/50 F/R weight distribution.
Maybe they can find a way to smack a turbo on that 2.0 engine and tuned for high revs instead of the low RPM torque of the 2.5T.

I do really wish the "mazdaspeed" badge makes a comeback (spark ignition if it produces enough horses or maybe the 2.5T, AWD, g/torque-vectoring...all the goodies you want for a hot hatch)

It would be a challenge to keep the 50/50 F/R weight distribution.
Maybe they can find a way to smack a turbo on that 2.0 engine and tuned for high revs instead of the low RPM torque of the 2.5T.

I do really wish the "mazdaspeed" badge makes a comeback (spark ignition if it produces enough horses or maybe the 2.5T, AWD, g/torque-vectoring...all the goodies you want for a hot hatch)

And bigger/better brakes! Forgot to mention that in my wishlist haha

Back