VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Live 2019 Mazda 3 Reveal

Registered Member

Suzuki SX4

Registered Member

Sonata

The US is only getting 2 of the 5 engines.

First off, of the five engines announced for the Mazda3, just two of them are slated for the United States. At launch, the Mazda3 will be offered only with a naturally aspirated 2.5-liter four-cylinder...

The Skyactiv-X engine will become available later in 2019. It will be rolled out in Europe first, with America coming after. When it does come here, it will be offered in states with stricter emissions regulations before coming to other states.

While we're on the topic of engines, we also probed a bit about the possibility of the turbocharged 2.5-liter engine coming to the Mazda3. We did get the typical response of not being able to comment on future product. However, they did confirm that the turbocharged engine does in fact fit in the new Mazda3...

Now as for drivetrains, the company is still deciding which trims and which combinations of engines will be offered. Naturally, a manual has been announced, and with the 2.5-liter engine being the standard engine, that will be a combination for sure. The manual does indeed couple with the all-wheel-drive system, so that's a possibility, too. And manual and automatic transmissions work with the Skyactiv-X engine. So all combinations are possible, but Mazda is determining exactly which combinations will be offered.
    -kp

2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by kpluck View Post
    Thanks for the link. The info on how the AWD system works in tandem with G-vectoring control is interesting. I am actually interested in test driving one now to see how it feels when taking a fast corner.

I hope that the 2.5T is offered on the Mazda3 with AWD and a manual, especially if the SkyActiv-X engine won't have 200 or more horsepower. The perfect daily driver for me would be an AWD hatchback with really good passing power and compliant suspension. I would prefer it to come with a manual transmission. That is the kind of car that I can see myself driving for more than 10 years. At the moment, the only car that seems to fit that criteria is the Golf R. If you're listening Mazda, I want an alternative to that Golf R.

Registered Member

2014 Mazda 3 sGT. 2019 cx-3 awd touring

i like big butts and i cannot lie! =P haha

Quote Originally Posted by finch204 View Post
    If Honda can get away with the current Civic styling and still sell cars, Mazda with their better looking Mazda3 should be fine. The rear only really looks weird at certain angles, other than that, the hatchback looks really good imo.

Registered Member

Suzuki SX4

Quote Originally Posted by finch204 View Post
    Thanks for the link. The info on how the AWD system works in tandem with G-vectoring control is interesting. I am actually interested in test driving one now to see how it feels when taking a fast corner.

I hope that the 2.5T is offered on the Mazda3 with AWD and a manual, especially if the SkyActiv-X engine won't have 200 or more horsepower. The perfect daily driver for me would be an AWD hatchback with really good passing power and compliant suspension. I would prefer it to come with a manual transmission. That is the kind of car that I can see myself driving for more than 10 years. At the moment, the only car that seems to fit that criteria is the Golf R. If you're listening Mazda, I want an alternative to that Golf R.
    Even better IMO would be a 2.5L (or 2.2 etc) version of the X motor eventually. More power + better efficiency vs the 2.5 G motor.

Registered Member

Sonata

Registered Member

Suzuki SX4

Meh.

Mirrors, backup cameras, blind spot monitors... IMO too much being made of it.

Registered Member

2018 Mazda 3 GT Hatch

Mazda has said there will NOT be a Mazdaspeed version of the new 3. But they have also said the 2.5 turbo motor will fit. Time will tell.
    https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/03/...mps-hot-hatch/

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

Quote Originally Posted by JimH46 View Post
    Mazda has said there will NOT be a Mazdaspeed version of the new 3. But they have also said the 2.5 turbo motor will fit. Time will tell.
    https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/03/...mps-hot-hatch/
    2.5T will fit narrative has been there for last 4 years or so.

Official Defender of Zamdatm

Registered Member

The hatchback looks unusual because of smooth curves and lack of creases that so many new cars are ruined with. Therefore I find the design to be utterly futuristic and breathtaking. The sedan is almost boring in comparison.

The hatch volume and access are compromised for the sake of form, and I could live with that if I do not buy this as a family car. I am not bothered by the blind spot. It is only slightly worse than the current model.

The dashboard is unusual too so I would reserve the judgement until I see it in real life. The seats appear to be much improved. The paint looks as bad as the current model - you can clearly see swirl marks - on the show car!

The rear suspension setup worries me. We will have to wait for the actual driving feedback. It will probably not be much worse than the current model though. Both are no match for the old Protege in terms of agility.

New Skyactive engine with AWD, manual and GT trim for me, please.

2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed

To me, the sedan looks more expensive than the hatch. From a distance, it looks like it could be the latest BMW, whereas the hatch will never be mistaken for a luxury class vehicle. When I compared my sedan to the hatch version, I could see that the sedan trunk with fold down seats is plenty large enough for anything I'd have to throw in it. But as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder......
    2014 3S GT, Deep Crystal Blue, Eibach Pro-Kit, Enkei PF01s, Koni Sports, Pirelli P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS tires, 225/45/18
    2008 MX-5 Touring (Mazdaspeed CAI, HIDs, Progress/Koni Sports/Racing Beat sways, SST Magnaflow muffler and tips)

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by concept View Post
    To me, the sedan looks more expensive than the hatch. From a distance, it looks like it could be the latest BMW, whereas the hatch will never be mistaken for a luxury class vehicle. When I compared my sedan to the hatch version, I could see that the sedan trunk with fold down seats is plenty large enough for anything I'd have to throw in it. But as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder......
    I agree, I think I'd rather have the sedan over the hatch. The rear end still hasn't grown on me.

I'd like to see how the design philosophy influences the next 6 and the CX models.

Registered Member

I guess I have been driving conservatively shaped sedans for too long (18 years in fact) so I am ready for something with a more playful design.

'16 CPO Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

personally, I wish they would have complimented the new Mazda3 with the Mazda6 Wagon that the rest of the world gets.

don't get me wrong, I like the new '3 hatch and it's on my short list, but so is the golf sport wagen/alltrack, '6 sport w/manual, and now the Subaru BRZ Premium [such a fun car to drive even though it isn't blazing fast]

if the US market is going to be flooded with puffed up wagons, aka CUVs, why not just bring actual wagons.

I would be happy if the '6 wagon was a limited run car of 5k-7k units.

The biggest foul up at Mazda dealers is the total lack of color because the color palette has not changed in 7+ years...
    #savethemanuals _ #savethewagons _ #savethemanualwagons
    _
    MazdaUSA - Please bring the '6wagon to the US (with a manual option)
    _
    Go Frogs!!!

Registered Member Danny Linguini's Avatar

2017 CX-5 GT

This news is glorious. I'm one year into a 3-year lease on a CX-5, which I only moved up to because I couldn't get AWD in a 3. I traded in a 3 GT hatch for this one, a I kinda miss the more compact package. I heard about the 2.5 turbo being available in the CX-5 and thought for sure that would be my next vehicle, until I just saw AWD coming in the 3. Pics of the hatchback have pretty much sealed it -- this car is my short list.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast