removing the lower side skirt mouldings

:
'02 Mazda Protege5
Is there an easy way to remove the side skirt moldings? I want to clean up and inspect the metal underneath for rust. they're held on by clips but i already broke one trying to pull it off. do they have to come off a certain way? and once i get it off how would I get it back on? seems like the clips are covered by the side skirt itself so you can't get a tool in between there without the risk of breaking something.

I remember taking mine off,... It was kinda tricky but the diagram helped.

I kinda think the clips hooked in and needed to slide forward or back to unhook,.. But it was along time ago.

Before you do it, go to the dealer and buy new clips. The car is 15 years old, which means the plastic clips have been in the weather and elements for 15 years. You will undoubtedly break at least half of them even if you are careful. I would just order all new clips, and not worry about it. Break them all if you want and reinstall with new ones.

Even the ones you don't break probably won't seat as tightly as it does now just due to deformation during removal. So you'll end up with loose fitting, gaps, etc.

I may has a bag of those laying around since road debris slapped one of mine and had to reattach......a long time ago so that might turn into a search mission in garage at this point. ^^^^^^ what he said above tho..................

Before you do it, go to the dealer and buy new clips. The car is 15 years old, which means the plastic clips have been in the weather and elements for 15 years. You will undoubtedly break at least half of them even if you are careful. I would just order all new clips, and not worry about it. Break them all if you want and reinstall with new ones.

Even the ones you don't break probably won't seat as tightly as it does now just due to deformation during removal. So you'll end up with loose fitting, gaps, etc.

thanks. is there a part number or do I just say I need clips for the side skirts?

Back