Mazda CX5 GT 2016 rolled back on incline with EPB enabled

sambaran

:
Mazda, CX 5, GT
Guys,

My wife faced this horrible situation where our 2016 Mazda CX5 Grand Touring rolled backwards on an incline. The car was on Drive gear and the Electronic hand brake was enabled. She switched the car off on stepped out of the car to help her friend and the vehicle rolled backwards after 10 seconds. Any suggestions on why this happened even with the EPB enabled?

Possibly because the EPB disengages itself automatically when the vehicle starts rolling in gear, I don't know if it matters if the vehicle is on or not to make this happen, never experimented with it in that way. Why would you leave the car in drive and not in park when shutting down?

Possibly because the EPB disengages itself automatically when the vehicle starts rolling in gear, I don't know if it matters if the vehicle is on or not to make this happen, never experimented with it in that way. Why would you leave the car in drive and not in park when shutting down?

These are the reasons all this annoying electronic aids are becoming prevalent lol.

As much as I like the concept of the EPB... guess I am glad I have the old school version in all of my vehicles.

This is the key because the automatic release seems to depend NOT on the use of the accelerator, but rather on the engine forcing the EPB to release by applying torque to the wheels, making them apply rolling pressure against the EPB, causing it to release. So if gravity makes the car want to roll, it has the same effect.

Just another reason to dislike the EPB.

But please, OP, convince your wife to always put it in park before she gets out, EPB or not.

Back