Mazda radar disabled in cold weather?

anderson930

:
2019 CX-9 GT AWD
With a few days in the single digits and 20's recently, I've experienced a few short bouts of the Mazda radar cruise control disablement in my 2019 CX-9 GT. I'm not too concerned as it's self-limiting but just curious if anyone has experienced this and maybe an explanation for why this happens. Weather conditions have been clear, and it's occurred when the car is clean (cameras inspected to ensure clean lenses).

Thanks

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 8.58.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 8.58.00 PM.png
    307.4 KB · Views: 2,177
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 8.57.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 8.57.51 PM.png
    211.3 KB · Views: 2,771
Last edited:
Hmmm, I only get it in snowy/mixed conditions...Need a third wiper, but then again Im not ready to trust autonomous in bad weather...

Hmmm, I only get it in snowy/mixed conditions...Need a third wiper, but then again I*m not ready to trust autonomous in bad weather...

It makes sense in that weather but makes me a bit more concerned that my experience may be due to faulty equipment. Thank you for the input. And, no, I wouldn't trust Mazda to do the breaking for me in snowy/mixed conditions either.

It makes sense in that weather but makes me a bit more concerned that my experience may be due to faulty equipment. Thank you for the input. And, no, I wouldn't trust Mazda to do the breaking for me in snowy/mixed conditions either.

Check the windshield area where the cameras are mounted cause sometimes if there is dirt or there is moisture the warning message pops up...

With a few days in the single digits and 20's recently, I've experienced a few short bouts of the Mazda radar cruise control disablement in my 2019 CX-9 GT. I'm not too concerned as it's self-limiting but just curious if anyone has experienced this and maybe an explanation for why this happens. Weather conditions have been clear, and it's occurred when the car is clean (cameras inspected to ensure clean lenses).

Thanks

attachment.php

attachment.php

The other part of the RADAR system is installed in behind the front MAZDA badge. So be certain that is clear as well.

Thanks

attachment.php

attachment.php

Had same thing this week in 15 degree weather. Cleaned windshield where camera is(wipers dont reach it), and the camera and mazda badge on front of car which had a lot of salt/dirt and message dissapeared. Also keep in mind the parking sensors and rear traffic alert can also be affected by dirt on the sensors.

The other part of the RADAR system is installed in behind the front MAZDA badge. So be certain that is clear as well.

Good to know, I'll check that. Thanks!

Had same thing this week in 15 degree weather. Cleaned windshield where camera is(wipers dont reach it), and the camera and mazda badge on front of car which had a lot of salt/dirt and message dissapeared. Also keep in mind the parking sensors and rear traffic alert can also be affected by dirt on the sensors.

That's reassuring, thank you. I'll be sure to check and clean all areas.

I get that when there's some fogging on the inside of the windshield, usually when we get in with wet coats. A blast of front defrost air fixes it. When the inside of the car dries the problem doesn't reoccur.

Broken Radar?

I get that when there's some fogging on the inside of the windshield, usually when we get in with wet coats. A blast of front defrost air fixes it. When the inside of the car dries the problem doesn't reoccur.

What if my radar wouldnt have any messages displayed but it wont detect the car right in front of me? It would just accelerate like if nothing was there. Very scary stuff.

https://m.imgur.com/a/4AZX4LZ
Mazda6 Signature 2018

Quote: "What if my radar wouldn*t have any messages displayed but it won*t detect the car right in front of me? It would just accelerate like if nothing was there. Very scary stuff."

Are you sure the cruise control is on radar cruise? Three pushes on the "Mode On" button on the steering wheel goes from "off" to "Mazda Radar Cruise Control" to "standard (non radar) cruise control". At least it does on my 2016 model CX-9.

The speedometer/car symbol just to the right of the gear indicator in your instrument panel will be green if the radar cruise is activated, white if not. In your photo it is white, indicating that the non-radar cruise control is activated, and the car will continue to drive at the cruise speed setting until you touch the brake (or run into the car ahead)(eek2) But the speed that the cruise control is set at should display just to the right of the speedometer/car symbol, and it is blank (---) in your photo, so I guess the cruise is not actually on, and my explanation is wrong.(huh)

Last edited:
First post here folks.
Picked up my CX-9 GT a couple of weeks ago.
I did get that warning this morning. It was just below freezing but when the message popped up the sun was right in my face. Once I was out of direct sun the warning went away. Radar maybe should have worked but I don't see how anything optical could have "seen" through all that bright sunlight.

Yes, its a cold weather problem.

Yes, I have the same problem. My car is a 2018 CX5 GT. Until I saw your post last winter, I hadn't made the cold weather connection. Before that, I had been in to the mazda dealer, and of course it wasn't acting up on that particular day. I asked the dealer if I could bring it in next time I got the message, and they said yes. But I didn't have the chance to do that during the winter. I have not seen the problem since it warmed up. I am expecting to see the message again when winter arrives, and I will post results.

And, we need to be clear about the separate functions of the cameras behind the rear view mirror at the top of the windshield and the radar antenna behind the Mazda symbol on the grille.

I think the adaptive cruise control uses only the radar antenna on the grille. Right or wrong? The windshield cameras are used for lane warning, maybe emergency braking, (anything else?), or?

A coat of wax (polymer sealant, spray detailer, etc.) on the Mazda emblem is a bit of a help to keep the antenna clear in winter. It'll still get caked with snow and stop working in certain conditions. The windshield will still get fogged when it's cold and we're wearing wet clothing that steams with the car's warmth.

The adaptive cruise control issue is definitely related to the Mazda grill plate icing over. It seems to me that Mazda should have realized this during testing. There should have been a defrosting element installed to alleviate this issue.

Back