Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

Lol. I hate leather furniture. But don*t mind leather seats in vehicles. Ymmv

Yep, everyone is different.

Supose they get the styling figured out by the time I want to replace my Gen-1, I'd probably look at a Sport for my preferred feature set. Too bad turbo is only on upper cost trims.

I've owned numerous boosted cars over the years ... including 2 MazdaSpeed Miatas (poor turbo implementation) and an early '16 CX-9 (excellent turbo implementation).
I don't know about being addicted to boost, but I AM addicted to power with a smooth delivery. (drive2)
Technically you are correct. Boost doesn't mean anything unless it being used to produce more horsepower/torque. So yes you are right, it is the power/torque that makes us feel good when we step on the gas.

So Mazda dealers in Austin are getting 19 CX-5 turbos way earlier than Mazda dealers in Dallas? I stopped by Town North Mazda on Tuesday, and they said its going to be at least another week to get CX-5 turbos as theres a delay for shipment due to an adjustment is needed on front suspension.

I lived in Plano for a number of years and used Town North for both sales and service.
The turbos are just trickling in ... few available in north or central Texas for the near future.
I think it depends on the dealer and not the city. This is why Hiley Mazda in Arlington, TX always wants me to do their surveys. The better they do on the survey, the better they stand with Mazda. Which means Mazda will favor them with regards to allocating more units and the availability of said units.

What difference does real vs. fake make...it's a style either way.

Big difference to me. Fake is fake. I like the tiger maple in my Infiniti.

I dont like piano black trim. Scratches and gets smudgy too easily.

Plus Ive had some awesome looking exotic wood grain on some of my banjos.

Last edited:
I didn't understand this comment, but yes, the wood used is real wood. In the CX-9 they use santos rosewood trim around the shifter and the door switch panels, and in the Mazda 6 they use "sen wood-trimmed dash panels and door panels". Mazda USA's site says that there is "Genuine Layered wood trim" in the Signature, but no mention of it in the GT Reserve.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think Mazda uses "fake" wood while their real wood doesn't look tacky/dated.

When I test drove the Sig. I really didn't pay that much attention to the wood trim. It was subtle/classy and didn't stand out like fake wood. My focus was more directed to the wonderful performance.

Artemis Leader is within a few hours of mooring at the port of Tacoma with about 6000 new Mazda's straight from Hiroshima. I hope my Silver Sig is one of them.

Last edited:
The power folding mirrors serve what purpose besides being adjustable? Go out of the way for parking garages in big cities where your car gets dented anyway? Hardly useful in my world? I really dislike the power mirrors on BMW as they turn down to the ground when in reverse thus you cannot see a child or whatever thats up & above the ground! Stupid gimmicks as you can see a curbing or parking stripe in any normal mirror to begin with-not counting that it's something else to cease working.

Keep the comments coming they help us know what to ask or which way to direct our interest, THANKS!

I never understood the love for folding mirrors either. However, the feature you describe on BMWs can be turned off - just move the mirror adjustment switch to the other position.

I never understood the love for folding mirrors either. However, the feature you describe on BMWs can be turned off - just move the mirror adjustment switch to the other position.

Depends on your parking situation. (Tight parking downtown type garages ect. vs open wide parking spaces).

FYI, the Sigs and GTRs have arrived at the port in Jacksonville and some are currently on the lots in the area.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think Mazda uses "fake" wood while their real wood doesn't look tacky/dated.

Ah I think I understand. Mazda's "real wood" doesn't look like the "real wood" seen in other, older cars (high gloss finish).

I've never had folding mirrors but think I'd like them as my garage is tight.

The power folding mirrors serve what purpose besides being adjustable? Go out of the way for parking garages in big cities where your car gets dented anyway? Hardly useful in my world? I really dislike the power mirrors on BMW as they turn down to the ground when in reverse thus you cannot see a child or whatever thats up & above the ground! Stupid gimmicks as you can see a curbing or parking stripe in any normal mirror to begin with-not counting that it's something else to cease working.

It's better than coming back to your car and there is no mirror left? The power folding mirrors are quite handy to me.

As for the BMW, it's a good solution if you don't want to scrape your rims before the cameras became popular, if you don't like it just switch the mirror select button to the other position.

It's better than coming back to your car and there is no mirror left? The power folding mirrors are quite handy to me.

As for the BMW, it's a good solution if you don't want to scrape your rims before the cameras became popular, if you don't like it just switch the mirror select button to the other position.
Agreed. The passenger side mirror got knocked broken twice by a car overnight when I parked my 1998 Honda CR-V on the street for many years. Power folding mirrors do serve a good purpose to avoid such unexpected damage, not to mention they can help the driver parking at a very tight space or garage.

The only thing worries me is the known issues been reported on Mazdas power folding mirrors and they seem to be not very reliable.

I know I've said before that I really wanted power folding mirrors, but after thinking about it, it's really not that important (to me). I'd really only find it useful to prevent other cars from knocking my mirror off if I park on the street. Wouldn't really help me with parking in tight spots, because if I need to fold my mirrors in to park in a specific spot, chances are I won't even be able to open my doors wide enough to get out of my car (unless I go through the liftgate, lol).

Test drove a Grand Touring Reserve yesterday at a Puget Sound area dealership. My first time driving a CX-5. I was very impressed with the ride quality and handling. I very much like the overall look of the car and build quality; NVH seems well tamed. Didnt get an opportunity to really test the engine as it was rush hour on the highway. Power did seem more than adequate. Had the most bizarre experience with the salesman. He was very vocal about the Signature trim not being worth the cost. Also actively discouraged me from purchasing right away. Said I should wait a few months to buy as there arent many incentives available. Ive never encountered a salesman not wanting to upsell or make a sale right away.

Maybe he wants the car there for test drives? maybe he's sharing his true opinion and not into the lot lizard small talk? I am sort of agreeing with him until I see a SIG up close feature wise-$2,020 buys a lots of other stuff? and they do mostly look alike in nearly every way possible...

Lol. I hate leather furniture. But dont mind leather seats in vehicles. Ymmv

Do as you wish. Leather home furniture makes more sense than in a vehicle if you don't have rug rats. There are vast differences is leather quality in home furniture while in vehicles you mostly see three levels-crappy, OK (most) and superior in cars we don't buy in this forum much... meaning very high end cars. Leather is durable while at the same time has many limitations such as moisture, stains and heat. Most car leather is a quality grade similar to a bargain piece of furniture and has a "painted" type of overcoated finish. Unlikely you'll see oil tanned or aniline dyed in a car as an e.g..
My Ford F-150 is the one model (XLT Sport) that has a very hard finished nylon, cloth seat cover that will outlast any leather ever put in any car.
leather asks to be maintained or it will fail sooner. It dislike fat people getting in and out of urban, short trip cars. In a convertible/sports car it's possible to ruin the interior forever with one rainstorm.

My current car has the power folding mirrors, but they have to me put up manually (instead of at shutodwn/locking) and I think the idea is great, but I always forget to use them. I usually only thing about it when I'm parking at long term parking at the airport, and by the time I park I already forget. It's definitely not the feature that sold me on wanting to GT-R.

I test drove a new 2019 Signature today - have to say, it didn't knock my socks off like I thought it would. Yes, the car had plenty of power and definitely more spirited than my 2016 GT, but the total driving experience wasn't enough to make me want to trade up for the 2019. The leather seats were more comfortable, and the ventilated seats were the bomb! I read somewhere that the 2019 was about 1/2 inch lower than the previous gen, but I felt like I was sitting up higher (seat was in lowest position). It definitely had all the bells and whistles, but I think I'll keep my 2016 GT for now. PS - this car was just off the truck, so new that nothing had been programmed, and the covers were still on the wheels, plastic wrap on car, lol

Back