Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

Just drove a GTR

The first Grand Touring Reserve just arrived at my dealership.
My salesperson called me with the news and an offer of a test drive.

I drove up in my '17 GT with premium package and was soon behind the wheel of the '19

My first impressions and a disclaimer: the vehicle had only 17 miles on the odometer due to a previous test drive.
I didn't push too hard on the fresh engine since it'll be purchased by someone else.

• I like the new wheels compared to the "pizza" wheels on my '17.
  • I also like the revised instrument cluster ... more information in a quickly-readable format.
  • The ventillated seats are effective and work quietly.
  • The power folding mirrors are a nice touch.
  • Power comes on at a very low RPM and builds quickly and smoothly ... minimal turbo lag, if any.
  • In addition to being quicker off the line, passing power in the 40 - 70 mph range is ample and very much apprecaited.
  • NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) are on a par with my '17 ... i.e. very good when compared to the direct competition.
In essence, the GTR includes everything I like about my '17 with extra features and a lively power train.
Back in my '17 for the drive home left me feeling "underwhelmed" by the power I previously consided adeaquate.
I'll look at the first Signature that arrives, but won't drive it. Mine should be here before Christmas. (drive)

I drove up in my '17 GT with premium package and was soon behind the wheel of the '19

My first impressions and a disclaimer: the vehicle had only 17 miles on the odometer due to a previous test drive.
I didn't push too hard on the fresh engine since it'll be purchased by someone else.

• I also like the revised instrument cluster ... more information in a quickly-readable format.
  • Power comes on at a very low RPM and builds quickly and smoothly ... minimal turbo lag, if any.
  • In addition to being quicker off the line, passing power in the 40 - 70 mph range is ample and very much apprecaited.
  • NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) are on a par with my '17 ... i.e. very good when compared to the direct competition.
In essence, the GTR includes everything I like about my '17 with extra features and a lively power train.
Back in my '17 for the drive home left me feeling "underwhelmed" by the power I previously consided adeaquate.
I'll look at the first Signature that arrives, but won't drive it. Mine should be here before Christmas. (drive)

Congratulations! I am jealous!

ps. great write up.

Two signatures on the lot here, so they should be just about everywhere...

I may go act like I wanna trade mine and see if they*ll let me try it in the next couple of days. Curious to see the ridiculous trade they offer for mine anyways...

Colorado and 7, they happen to be black ones too! Haha

Don't fall in love and join the dark side.

Already there, kinda. All my cars have been black or really dark blue...

I couldn*t buy the signature because of the brown leather and wood grain, so I*m safe this go round, lol, but I am anxious to see it as a whole...

Drove a 2019 GT Reserve this morning (Brown*s Mazda Fairfax, Va.) and enjoyed it. Volvo X-60 is at top of my list, but if a Signature interior comes anywhere close, I*m buying Mazda. Today, I drove the Mazda over the same streets I drove the Volvo and the CX-5 drive equaled the Volvo. The X-60 is an impressive car, and if the new Mazda fell far short, I wouldn*t consider it; however, today*s test drive left me grinning as big as after my X-60 drive, and if I buy the Mazda, it is ~$20,000 less (bargain!). Follow-up test drive this weekend with the wife; if all goes well, hope to buy 2019 Sig soon. Peace!

Drove a 2019 GT Reserve this morning (Brown*s Mazda Fairfax, Va.) and enjoyed it. Volvo X-60 is at top of my list, but if a Signature interior comes anywhere close, I*m buying Mazda. Today, I drove the Mazda over the same streets I drove the Volvo and the CX-5 drive equaled the Volvo. The X-60 is an impressive car, and if the new Mazda fell far short, I wouldn*t consider it; however, today*s test drive left me grinning as big as after my X-60 drive, and if I buy the Mazda, it is ~$20,000 less (bargain!). Follow-up test drive this weekend with the wife; if all goes well, hope to buy 2019 Sig soon. Peace!

When I was shopping in Sept, Volvo dealers didn't want to offer competitive deals on XC60's. I ended up buying a X3. I would have bought a Tesla Model 3 but my wife is not into electric cars and she is the primary driver of the X3...

GTR test drive

Test drove a Grand Touring Reserve yesterday at a Puget Sound area dealership. My first time driving a CX-5. I was very impressed with the ride quality and handling. I very much like the overall look of the car and build quality; NVH seems well tamed. Didnt get an opportunity to really test the engine as it was rush hour on the highway. Power did seem more than adequate. Had the most bizarre experience with the salesman. He was very vocal about the Signature trim not being worth the cost. Also actively discouraged me from purchasing right away. Said I should wait a few months to buy as there arent many incentives available. Ive never encountered a salesman not wanting to upsell or make a sale right away.

Last edited:

You just got addicted to boost. It is usually a bad idea to test drive a turbo model if you own the NA version with less horsepower. I'm pretty sure my wife will feel the same way if she drives a CX-5 turbo. Thankfully she doesn't like doing test drives that much.

Mine should be here before Christmas. (drive)
So Mazda dealers in Austin are getting 19 CX-5 turbos way earlier than Mazda dealers in Dallas? I stopped by Town North Mazda on Tuesday, and they said its going to be at least another week to get CX-5 turbos as theres a delay for shipment due to an adjustment is needed on front suspension.

Its nice to get yourself a big Christmas gift! And BTW appreciate your review!

You just got addicted to boost. It is usually a bad idea to test drive a turbo model if you own the NA version with less horsepower. I'm pretty sure my wife will feel the same way if she drives a CX-5 turbo. Thankfully she doesn't like doing test drives that much.

I've owned numerous boosted cars over the years ... including 2 MazdaSpeed Miatas (poor turbo implementation) and an early '16 CX-9 (excellent turbo implementation).
I don't know about being addicted to boost, but I AM addicted to power with a smooth delivery. (drive2)

So Mazda dealers in Austin are getting *19 CX-5 turbo*s way earlier than Mazda dealers in Dallas? I stopped by Town North Mazda on Tuesday, and they said it*s going to be at least another week to get CX-5 turbo*s as there*s a delay for shipment due to an adjustment is needed on front suspension.

It*s nice to get yourself a big Christmas gift! And BTW appreciate your review!

I lived in Plano for a number of years and used Town North for both sales and service.
The turbos are just trickling in ... few available in north or central Texas for the near future.

I wasn't aware of the front suspension issue; only a potential exhaust system misalignment.
Hopefully it'll be addressed quickly ... I'm getting impatient in my old age. (burnout)

I tried to test the new Volvo and the guy said they never have any that are available to drive as they sell beforehand, so either waiting on the new owner or not there. Honestly I'd never buy any vehicle w/o a test drive of the same model. The Volvo price point is far higher plus they are a premium fuel only engine. Fit & finish is good on Volvo & mazda so I'm sticking to the Mazda for now. Is the "wood grain" in the GTR fake vs. real in the SUG cars? They both have some sort of door trim stuff? Even as a lifetime wood worker, most car wood is not to my liking anyway. maybe in a Bently, etc...
The power folding mirrors serve what purpose besides being adjustable? Go out of the way for parking garages in big cities where your car gets dented anyway? Hardly useful in my world? I really dislike the power mirrors on BMW as they turn down to the ground when in reverse thus you cannot see a child or whatever thats up & above the ground! Stupid gimmicks as you can see a curbing or parking stripe in any normal mirror to begin with-not counting that it's something else to cease working.

Keep the comments coming they help us know what to ask or which way to direct our interest, THANKS!

Last edited:
I tried to test the new Volvo and the guy said they never have any that are available to drive as they sell beforehand, so either waiting on the new owner or not there. Honestly I'd never buy any vehicle w/o a test drive of the same model. The Volvo price point is far higher plus they are a premium fuel only engine. Fit & finish is good on Volvo & mazda so I'm sticking to the Mazda for now. Is the "wood grain" in the GTR fake vs. real in the SUG cars? They both have some sort of door trim stuff? Even as a lifetime wood worker, most car wood is not to my liking anyway. maybe in a Bently, etc...
The power folding mirrors serve what purpose besides being adjustable? Go out of the way for parking garages in big cities where your car gets dented anyway? Hardly useful in my world? I really dislike the power mirrors on BMW as they turn down to the ground when in reverse thus you cannot see a child or whatever thats up & above the ground! Stupid gimmicks as you can see a curbing or parking stripe in any normal mirror to begin with-not counting that it's something else to cease working.

Keep the comments coming they help us know what to ask or which way to direct our interest, THANKS!

My understanding is Mazda uses real wood which does not look like wood...but really is....for when they do use real wood. If that helps :)

I was considering a Volvo S80 to replace my Camry - resale was very comparable - this is the 2016 non AWD model with 240 / 240 performance numbers. I thought that since the T5 is in all volvos it has to be reliable as its their bread n butter. Nope! it sucks after spending some time. Not so easy to find superb value in used car markets like the Kizashi / Escape + Tribute Hybrids.

So forgetting my dislike of the Gen 2 styling for a minute...My problem is that if I tried and liked a turbo CX-5, I'd want it with a lower end trim. I'd settle for Touring seats, but I'd really prefer cloth seats.

I just don't like leather seats in a car. A couch, sure. A car? Nope.

My understanding is Mazda uses real wood which does not look like wood...but really is....for when they do use real wood. If that helps :)

I didn't understand this comment, but yes, the wood used is real wood. In the CX-9 they use santos rosewood trim around the shifter and the door switch panels, and in the Mazda 6 they use "sen wood-trimmed dash panels and door panels". Mazda USA's site says that there is "Genuine Layered wood trim" in the Signature, but no mention of it in the GT Reserve.

So forgetting my dislike of the Gen 2 styling for a minute...My problem is that if I tried and liked a turbo CX-5, I'd want it with a lower end trim. I'd settle for Touring seats, but I'd really prefer cloth seats.

I just don't like leather seats in a car. A couch, sure. A car? Nope.

Lol. I hate leather furniture. But dont mind leather seats in vehicles. Ymmv

Wood trim again?

Mazdas247 in 2017: Wood trim look tacky as **** (absolutely correct).
Mazdas247 in 2018: Oh yeah Mazda uses real wood. It's..Real. Wood.

Back