Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

I was also at the dealer today and drove a GTR (in Canada they aren't calling it a GTR far as I can tell), sat in a Signature and drove a regular GT back to back with the GTR. The regular GT is laughably slow compared to the GTR - it's fine as a daily driver but any enthusiast or anyone who likes gusto will want to the turbo. It was my first time driving the 2G CX-5 and it's an impressively quiet car and the interior is very nice - definitely in the realm of a luxury car. The Signature trim is nice but not actually significantly nicer than the GTR - in Canada it's $1,500 more and it's really just the nicer leather and more LED lights and I think I'd get the GTR instead.

OTOH I then went over to the Acura dealer and gave an RDX the gears. That thing is definitely a better car than the CX-5 - the A-Spec trim is about $10K more after taxes than a Signature and I'd say people who have the money should spring for it. Great backseat, great motor - the motor is a class ahead of the GTR.

The RDX has an estimated 0-60 of 6s and easily felt like it while I'd say the CX-5 is a mid/high 6 car.

All that said, can't go wrong with either car at their respective price points. I think Mazda will sell these at a good clip.

https://youtu.be/kUWUhrjA0VI
You can embed it here as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Decent review. Not much to say really. We already knew what to expect. I wish they'd have gone with LED turn signals and some other exterior options in the top trims.

I was hoping to see some #'s. 0-60, quarter mile, etc.

This car is a "sleeper" IMHO.

Last edited:
I was hoping to see some #'s. 0-60, quarter mile, etc.

This car is a "sleeper" IMHO.

He did not say much, just the typical things such as "oh yeah" and "Oh" and other mono syllables. The engine sounds were very appealing.

I wonder what tuners will be able to RELIABLY get out of the turbo engine?

I would be curious to see real 1/4 mile times for the CX5 turbo.

I wonder what tuners will be able to RELIABLY get out of the turbo engine?

I would be curious to see real 1/4 mile times for the CX5 turbo.

Shpuld at least pull another 20 to 30whp on 93 without trying.

Yep. 20 to 30 without even flinching. A slight lean out will gain this, along with another 20 to 30 by running the boost a couple pounds more and all the way to redline. Then, the dialing in really begins. All in all, I think I can safely get 75-100, and that would turn this thing into a true "sleeper"...

Damn you Mazda, why couldn't you do this to a 16.5 like I asked, because I damn sure ain't buying a new one...lol

Yep. 20 to 30 without even flinching. A slight lean out will gain this, along with another 20 to 30 by running the boost a couple pounds more and all the way to redline. Then, the dialing in really begins. All in all, I think I can safely get 75-100, and that would turn this thing into a true "sleeper"...

Damn you Mazda, why couldn't you do this to a 16.5 like I asked, because I damn sure ain't buying a new one...lol

75-100? Unless I miss my guess, the turbo is a bit small for that, and we dunno how the ring lands and other things are in this engine yet, etc.

75-100? Unless I miss my guess, the turbo is a bit small for that, and we dunno how the ring lands and other things are in this engine yet, etc.

Okay fine, 60 it is then, and I'll bet the pink slip to my 16.5 on that...

How do we not know about this engine? It was dropped right in from two other models and has been used for a couple years now...

Okay fine, 60 it is then, and I'll bet the pink slip to my 16.5 on that...

How do we not know about this engine? It was dropped right in from two other models and has been used for a couple years now...

Has anyone gotten 75whp more out of a CX9? Have they pushed boost high enough for that, long term, and verified that the internals are G2G?

Has anyone gotten 75whp more out of a CX9? Have they pushed boost high enough for that, long term, and verified that the internals are G2G?

Idk, haven*t kept up with Mazda tuning, but I feel the internals would be fine, no worries at all. The boost only needs to be turned up about 3lbs to achieve my number bc the rest will come from leaning out etc. I think it would be quite easy, but who knows, I couldn*t stop there, I*d have to have a cam as well. I*d sure hope this thing will hold 300awhp with stock internals...I built a 4G63 that*s had 400-550hp on stock internals for 50k+ Miles. Not quite bulletproof like a 2JZ is, but not bad...

Problem with a tune is that you have to say "bye bye" to your factory powertrain warranty. If Mazda is like Ford/GM, any significant powertrain failure will get tech support involved and they have the ability to detect the past presence of a tune even after it's been removed. Even if a dealership/tech. is "tune friendly", the manufacturer is not and they're the ones that have to authorize any major powertrain warranty repairs. Tuners simply dial down the guardband that protects the powertrain.

You got to "pay to play" and it's probably not worth the risk. At least until the warranty has expired.

The "Forrest's review" of the Texas dealers blue car linked above is the best actual look inside of a 2019 I have seen on the web. Lots of outside gallery style pics online but this one allows seeing the interior up close & personal style. Nice is good buy not my measuring stick. It's all about price and proximity for delivery for me.
At this point I don't see the $2,020 price as being what I'd pay for the features added.
When you live on a private gravel road any darker colors gets messed up real fast thus lighter, brighter colors (also safer) work best for us. Red will dust up fast and said to be a color that hides itself at dusk during the most unsafe time to drive.
I don't like the bright silver wheels as much as the 2018 wheels or downgrade wheels. Also, I'd rather the car had a larger 18" tire-say 245/65R18 and a dark, shaded background than the 19" silver shiny which isn't in style anyway? Last years wheels are very similar to my F-150's OE XLT Sport wheels and a popular choice too. The wheel casting design/style is OK for me but finish not so much on the GTR? Maybe a bit dated?
Both GTR & Sig have the cameras but the GTR is not 360 degrees?
I can go either way on a cars turn signal bulbs-both are about the same lumens and easy to change over anyway.
Definitely not a car choice item for me.
I have to like the power train, body fit and finish and interior design and finishes. I don't have an opinion on LED HL's yet. I know I much prefer zenon HL's over halogens though and paid extra just to get them on my X3.
I would think the acceleration specs for this 2.5 turbo would be very close to my 2013 BMW X3 ?- they have very close HP & Torque figures, gross weight, so on.
The regular 2.5 is just ok in the zoom department but nothing that makes it a fun gas pedal to push.
While I do like the general trim level packaging that Mazda offers I do wish they did more with wheel choices-size & style. One dealer near me sells and installs their own leather on down level Mazdas thus you can get away from the plastic or fabric w/o buying other stuff you don't value. That doesn't help us buy a turbo though given they both have leather.

The "Forrest's review" of the Texas dealers blue car linked above is the best actual look inside of a 2019 I have seen on the web. Lots of outside gallery style pics online but this one allows seeing the interior up close & personal style. Nice is good buy not my measuring stick. It's all about price and proximity for delivery for me.
At this point I don't see the $2,020 price as being what I'd pay for the features added.
When you live on a private gravel road any darker colors gets messed up real fast thus lighter, brighter colors (also safer) work best for us. Red will dust up fast and said to be a color that hides itself at dusk during the most unsafe time to drive.
I don't like the bright silver wheels as much as the 2018 wheels or downgrade wheels. Also, I'd rather the car had a larger 18" tire-say 245/65R18 and a dark, shaded background than the 19" silver shiny which isn't in style anyway? Last years wheels are very similar to my F-150's OE XLT Sport wheels and a popular choice too. The wheel casting design/style is OK for me but finish not so much on the GTR? Maybe a bit dated?
I can go either way on a cars turn signal bulbs-both are about the same lumens and easy to change over anyway.
I have to like the power train, body fit and finish and interior design and finishes. I don't have an opinion on LED HL's yet. I know I much prefer zenon HL's over halogens though and paid extra just to get them on my X3.
I would think the acceleration specs for this 2.5 turbo would be very close to my 2013 BMW X3 ?- they have very close HP & Torque figures, gross weight, so on.
The regular 2.5 is just ok in the zoom department but nothing that makes it a fun gas pedal to push.
While I do like the general trim level packaging that Mazda offers I do wish they did more with wheel choices-size & style. One dealer near me sells and installs their own leather on down level Mazdas thus you can get away from the plastic or fabric w/o buying other stuff you don't value. That doesn't help us buy a turbo though given they both have leather.

I like the turbo but might not swing for it since it can hurt my wallet :). I might go for a 2018 touring awd to save a few bucks. It will be good enough vehicle for towing my jetski and trailer 1200lbs and a compliment to my MX5 ND. Eventually the car will be my son when he starts to drive in 4 years.

The difference in the X3 will be the 8 speed transmission. Personally think Mazda should go this route as well, at least on the turbo powered cars...

Back