Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

If C/D test drives a Signature, he might not know what to do with ALL the Luxury and how to handle it,
it's like going out with a mediocore chick all your life, and all of a sudden you have a date with a hot model!
just make sure you clean up after yourself..haha

anyways hope you enjoy your test drive, curious to see your comments on this.

I would test drive a GT-R with the turbo if they had those in stock instead, but alas, did not see any.

As for the luxury, I can attest that that won't be my reaction at all. I'm really testing it for the turbo, not the myriad of crap I don't want, though obviously I'll be able to get an impression of that too.

Anyway, I know they are in transition, I just don't understand how materials, styling, and as Chris_Top_Her called them "gimmicky features" alone warrant an almost $40k MSRP for a Sig when the big things are otherwise the same as my $25k CX-5. So it has brown leather, and some technology. Is it really $15k more?

Anyway, today is the day I go test out one of these new Turbo CX-5s.

I think you will be impressed with the test drive!

By the way, a loaded signature trim is $38K MSRP and here are some of the things to look for that make it more expensive (5 years later) than your $25K CX5. I'm sure there are others I forgot.
250 HP 2.5 Turbo
Notably Quieter Interior
Acoustic Glass
Apple Carplay
LED Adaptive Front Lighting System
LED Taillights
8 Way Power Driver's Seat With 2 Position Memory
6 Way Power Passenger Seat
Ventilated Front Seats
Heated Rear Seats
Radar Adaptive Cruise to Stop
Sunroof
Improved Throttle Response
Reclining Rear Seats
Power Liftgate
Auto Windshield Wipers
Windshield Wiper Deicer
Power Folding Side Mirrors
12V Front Cubby and Center Console
2 USB Front, 2 USB Rear
Soft Touch Materials Instead of Hard Plastic
Bigger Wheels/Tires
Dual Zone Climate Control
Rear A/C Vents
LED Lighting in Glove Box
Overhead Console LED Down Light
Nappa Leather Seats
Leather Wrapped Heated Steering Wheel
Bose 10 Speaker Audio
Heads Up Display
360 Degree View Monitor
Smart City Brake Support with Pedestrian Detection
Lane Departure Warning and Lane Keep Assist

We shall see. Lot off those features you listed are on Gen 1 packages/trims too you know. The ones that aren't were what I listed...soundproofing, materials, some of the driving nannies.

Forgot about HUD and ventilated seats though. Those are nice.

We shall see. Lot off those features you listed are on Gen 1 packages/trims too you know. The ones that aren't were what I listed...soundproofing, materials, some of the driving nannies.

Forgot about HUD and ventilated seats though. Those are nice.

True, I thought you were questioning why the 2019 Signature costs $15K (actually $13K) more than your 2014 Touring. I was just listing the differences between those 2 cars to somewhat justify the price difference, although it is a lot.

Actually not really true. I think the only things on that list of features even available on a gen 1 was sunroof, bigger wheels/tires (than on the touring), dual zone climate and auto wipers. So a lot of those features were not available.

Last edited:
Under the hood, its the same engine (now they do have the turbo though), same transmission, which by the way, I have no complaints about either. The guts of the vehicle are otherwise largely the same. Only difference like I said is styling, materials, tech features.

Anyway, I know they are in transition, I just don't understand how materials, styling, and as Chris_Top_Her called them "gimmicky features" alone warrant an almost $40k MSRP for a Sig when the big things are otherwise the same as my $25k CX-5. So it has brown leather, and some technology. Is it really $15k more? GT has leather. It's in that low $30k range. What's the big difference between that and Sig? Ok, Sig has a turbo. Is that several thousands?

I just am saying I don't understand the current pricing if they are not yet actual luxury brand. I guess they are still cheaper than luxury brands. I'm just thinking out loud at this point.

Anyway, today is the day I go test out one of these new Turbo CX-5s.

Are you even considering a GT Reserve or a Signature? I mean, the only reason you'd spend the $35k MSRP (2019 GT Reserve AWD) is for the turbo, and you'd be getting all of the "extras" you could care less about. So the question is, is the turbo worth $9k to you? I think you may already have your mind made up.

If anything, you should probably just compare your 2014 Touring AWD to the 2019 Sport AWD (MSRP $25.7k). The Sport's MSRP is actually $250 cheaper than the Touring's MSRP back in 2014, and I don't think that even accounts for inflation. The only differences here are styling, GVC+, sound deadening, and ground clearance.

Breaking the "luxury" down..

Comparing the GT Reserve AWD ($34.8k MSRP) to the Signature AWD ($36.9k MSRP):
Different 19" wheels, Signature badge (though I'm not sure this even exists..), frameless auto-dimming rear view mirror with Homelink, LED interior accent lighting, different overhead console, nappa leather-trimmed seats, genuine wood trim, leather wrapped steering wheel with unique stitching, black headliner, 360-degree cam, and front and rear parking sensors. A $2.1k difference.

Comparing the GT AWD ($31.5k MSRP) to the GT Reserve AWD ($34.8k MSRP):
Engine, auto-folding power side mirrors, windshield wiper de-icer, HUD, heated and vented front seats, heated rear seats, and heated steering wheel. A $3.3k difference.

Comparing the Sport AWD ($25.7k MSRP) to the GT Reserve AWD ($34.8k MSRP):
Engine, auto-folding power side mirrors, windshield wiper de-icer, HUD, heated/vented front seats, heated steering wheel, 19" wheels/tires, heated side mirrors, LED fog lights, LED tail lights, LED adaptive front-lighting system with auto-leveling, power moonroof, power liftgate, leather-trimmed seats, 8-way power driver's seat with 2-position memory, 6-way power passenger seat, auto-dimming rearview mirror with Homelink, Bose 10-speaker system, navigation, Sirius trials, rain-sensing wipers, and AA/ACP. A $9.1k difference.

Also, I found it misleading when you rounded $36.9k up for the Signature to $40k.

Hope that helps with deciding for yourself whether certain trims are worth what Mazda's asking for them.

Last edited:
i do not believe he is in the market for a GT-R or Signature.
He is however test driving it to see how the turbo is so "IF" it trickles down to the Sport and Touring models, he'll probably consider it, assuming it is good for him.

Are you even considering a GT Reserve or a Signature?

Thanks for the clarification. The reason I questioned it is because the Signature badge is/was also mentioned for the CX-9 and it was nowhere to be found.

True, I thought you were questioning why the 2019 Signature costs $15K (actually $13K) more than your 2014 Touring. I was just listing the differences between those 2 cars to somewhat justify the price difference, although it is a lot.

Ah, makes sense.

Actually not really true. I think the only things on that list of features even available on a gen 1 was sunroof, bigger wheels/tires (than on the touring), dual zone climate and auto wipers. So a lot of those features were not available.

I re-read through your list, you're right. My mistake.

Are you even considering a GT Reserve or a Signature? I mean, the only reason you'd spend the $35k MSRP (2019 GT Reserve AWD) is for the turbo, and you'd be getting all of the "extras" you could care less about. So the question is, is the turbo worth $9k to you? I think you may already have your mind made up.

If anything, you should probably just compare your 2014 Touring AWD to the 2019 Sport AWD (MSRP $25.7k). The Sport's MSRP is actually $250 cheaper than the Touring's MSRP back in 2014, and I don't think that even accounts for inflation. The only differences here are styling, GVC+, sound deadening, and ground clearance.

No, Touring has usually been my sweet spot. But I am interested in the Turbo and if it trickles down to lesser trims, would be compelling to me in the future. That said, my Gen 1 would have to be deader than a doornail.

Also, I found it misleading when you rounded $36.9k up for the Signature to $40k.

How so? Maybe $40k was a "rounding up, but the Signatures I found at the dealer by my office were all MSRP of $38,484 - $39,079. I don't think that was unreasonable to round up to $40k. I can say $39k from now on if that's better. I did not find any GT-R's to try. All they had were Signatures.

i do not believe he is in the market for a GT-R or Signature.
He is however test driving it to see how the turbo is so "IF" it trickles down to the Sport and Touring models, he'll probably consider it, assuming it is good for him.

Turbo interests me, so yes I am more wondering if the turbo will trickle down to a regular GT or a Touring by the time a Gen 3 or so comes out. I'm also genuinely curious on if anyone is going to try putting one of these turbos in their Gen 1 (if they can make it fit). I don't know anything about that kind of stuff though, it's just a thought that popped up in my head.

Last edited:
How so? Maybe $40k was a "rounding up, but the Signatures I found at the dealer by my office were all MSRP of $38,484 - $39,079. I don't think that was unreasonable to round up to $40k. I can say $39k from now on if that's better. I did not find any GT-R's to try. All they had were Signatures.

On the Mazda USA website, a 2019 Signature has an MSRP of $37k. Sounds like your dealer is charging a premium or possibly including the destination fee of $1k to the MSRP. Even still, that doesn't explain the additional $500-1000 your dealer lists.

actually i think it depends on the color
SCR = $38,480
Machine Grey = $38,185

On the Mazda USA website, a 2019 Signature has an MSRP of $37k. Sounds like your dealer is charging a premium or possibly including the destination fee of $1k to the MSRP. Even still, that doesn't explain the additional $500-1000 your dealer lists.

Yes, you need to add the $995 destination fee to MSRP.

There's also an upcharge of $300 for certain colors and for some reason Mazda adds $400 roof rails to almost every Signature upon arrival at the port.

. I'm also genuinely curious on if anyone is going to try putting one of these turbos in their Gen 1 (if they can make it fit). I don't know anything about that kind of stuff though, it's just a thought that popped up in my head.

You're on to something there! Why not? Same drivetrain except for the turbo. Is the KE hood lower than KF?
The perfect solution for you.

But when I see threads with Gen 2 owners complaining about material quality or fit and finish with dash gaps, etc. Sounds like the same old to me! Not a $40k luxury car.

To be fair, they are the vast minority. True of some examples of any product.

Yes, you need to add the $995 destination fee to MSRP.

There's also an upcharge of $300 for certain colors and for some reason Mazda adds $400 roof rails to almost every Signature upon arrival at the port.

So glad mine is stock with no add-ons, especially the roof rails.

Call me foolish but resale value is pretty low on my list when considering a vehicle purchase
We've had this discussion before. It's pretty low on most of ours. Except his.
Not to even mention Mazdas resale has only been getting better.

Latest posts

Back