Page 29 of 44 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 AWD GT Premium

I think it's funny that these cars are readily available at dealers now, I took our car in for an oil change and was able to drive a GTR...yet there have been no official write-ups in the mainstream automotive press and there are only a few videos on YouTube. I figured given that most cars in this compact crossover class are pretty underpowered and Mazda is the enthusiast darling that there would be a lot of attention paid to this new engine. Guess not.

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

ACURA RDX and the BMW X3 have had the 2019 turbo version out for many months and either produce more HP or better acceleration times. Our CX5 T is a late comer, so let's hope it can over shadow the others with something special besides price. I also await a genuine road test from Car & Driver or other US magazine. Ed

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by turtl631 View Post
    I think it's funny that these cars are readily available at dealers now, I took our car in for an oil change and was able to drive a GTR...yet there have been no official write-ups in the mainstream automotive press and there are only a few videos on YouTube. I figured given that most cars in this compact crossover class are pretty underpowered and Mazda is the enthusiast darling that there would be a lot of attention paid to this new engine. Guess not.
    Yeah, I think Mazda does a terrible job of advertising. They should be screaming about the high reliability rankings and high crash test scores. They released the Mazda 6 and CX5 with the 2.5T and there is no press about it at all. Zero.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by dougal View Post
    Yeah, I think Mazda does a terrible job of advertising. They should be screaming about the high reliability rankings and high crash test scores. They released the Mazda 6 and CX5 with the 2.5T and there is no press about it at all. Zero.
    What CUV in their price bracket are they more reliable than? Source?

Registered Member

ss

Quote Originally Posted by erhayes View Post
    ACURA RDX and the BMW X3 have had the 2019 turbo version out for many months and either produce more HP or better acceleration times. Our CX5 T is a late comer, so let's hope it can over shadow the others with something special besides price. I also await a genuine road test from Car & Driver or other US magazine. Ed
    I can't comment on the X3, but the RDX and CX-5 2.5T perform very differently:

- The RDX has a dead pedal affect (turbo lag). You press the gas and there's a very noticeable delay before it finally takes off. However once it does, it really moves.

- The CX-5 2.5T is like a V-8. Power delivery is seamless. There is no noticeable turbo lag.

I have no idea which one will ultimately produce better 0-60 numbers. Although the Mazda feels faster, I think RDX might be the 0-60 winner if you do a launch. I'd gladly sacrifice a little 0-60 time in order to get seamless acceleration without the dead pedal affect. The Mazda also sounds so much better. The RDX was on my short list until I actually drove it.

I'm also anxiously awaiting expert CX-5 2.5T track reviews.

P.S. I have yet to drive the CX-5 with premium fuel. That test will be soon.
    Last edited by davefr; 12-06-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Registered Member

'14 liquid CX-5 AWD GT tech

Quote Originally Posted by dougal View Post
    Agreed w/terrible- but I did hear a cx-5 ad other day- now w/signature trim and turbo..
    247 community defender of: gen1 steering, styling, seats and gated shifter, compression ignition, rwd, Asian twins, winter tires, manual: tailgates, transmissions, ebrakes, also liquid silver and Lawson's Liquids FTFW!

My automotive lineage:
    1983 Toyota Celica GTS 5MT- aka rustback
    1984 Toyota Supra 5MT- change averse much?
    1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 5MT- good times- newfound respect for term mid-engined oversteer!
    2002 MB C230 Coupe 6MT- 1st new car(chosen over GTI) and a good one until gremlins came
    +good house/bad driveway
    2006 Acura TL 6MT (shortest ownership by far 1year of tq steer&driveway fails>enough)
    2007 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L -not much to say boring excellence?
    2009 BMW 128i 6MT - End of the old-school bimmers probably should have kept.. wanted 4drs
    2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT - what can I say not so boring excellence? I continue to be impressed.
    2015 BMW X1 RWD Msport - Liked it, fast enough and still did donuts, e-steering wouldn't let me love it
    and then..?

Registered Member

ss

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    What CUV in their price bracket are they more reliable than? Source?
    It was either CR or JD Powers.

I believe it was Infinity #1, Toyota #2 and Mazda #3.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Sig

Quote Originally Posted by davefr View Post
    I can't comment on the X3, but the RDX and CX-5 2.5T perform very differently:

- The RDX has a dead pedal affect (turbo lag). You press the gas and there's a very noticeable delay before it finally takes off. However once it does, it really moves.

- The CX-5 2.5T is like a V-8. Power delivery is seamless. There is no noticeable turbo lag.

I have no idea which one will ultimately produce better 0-60 numbers. Although the Mazda feels faster, I think RDX might be the 0-60 winner if you do a launch. I'd gladly sacrifice a little 0-60 time in order to get seamless acceleration without the dead pedal affect. The Mazda also sounds so much better. The RDX was on my short list until I actually drove it.

I'm also anxiously awaiting expert CX-5 2.5T track reviews.

P.S. I have yet to drive the CX-5 with premium fuel. That test will be soon.
    I liked everything about the RDX except the funky joystick transmission shifter. Completely turned me off the car.

Registered Member

'14 liquid CX-5 AWD GT tech

Quote Originally Posted by cleverusername View Post
    I liked everything about the RDX except the funky joystick transmission shifter. Completely turned me off the car.
    I thought the brakes sucked too, cargo space lacked but it is pretty nice effort overall.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT; 2017 Mazda MX-5 RF/GT/LE

Quote Originally Posted by mrspud View Post
    Going to pick up a Machine Gray Signature this weekend. Any reason the 2018 WeatherTech floor and cargo mats wouldn't fit on the 2019?
    Also responded in the other threat where you asked the same question ... they should fit perfectly.
    I'm planning to transfer the same mats from my '17 to the '19 once it arrives.
    Inbound: 2019 Soul Red Crystal Metallic CX-5 Signature
    2017 Soul Red Crystal Metallic CX-5 GT/Premium

2017 Machine Gray Metallic MX-5-RF GT/MT, Launch Edition
    24 Mazdas since 1974

Registered Member

ss

Quote Originally Posted by cleverusername View Post
    ^^I agree.

The entire instrument panel/interior in the RDX is way over cluttered/over complicated. Acura's approach seems to be to maximize gadgets/settings/modes/displays/options etc. Mazda's approach is more toward providing the important features yet make them as uncluttered/simple/intuitive as possible.

I find beauty in simplicity but maybe the millennials prefer the Acura approach.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Mazda's approach is more toward providing the important features yet make them as uncluttered/simple/intuitive as possible.
    I'm not sure I wholly agree here. While Mazda definitely takes the simpler, intuitive approach, some of the menu options are buried so far that it can get annoying sometimes. I guess that is one area where a touchscreen has a big advantage. It can be easier to touch a small button on the display vs. navigating menus with the HMI Commander switch. For example, there are some who don't like the HUD. Because the HUD always turns on with the car, those people have to go into the menu and disable the ADD every single time they start the car. However, if the ADD could be toggled with a button on the touchscreen, that makes turning it off every time much less of a hassle. Of course, ideally they would just make it so that the ADD would remain ON or OFF, instead of having it default to ON every time the car is turned on.

Can't have it all, I guess.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

^^I agree.

The entire instrument panel/interior in the RDX is way over cluttered/over complicated. Acura's approach seems to be to maximize gadgets/settings/modes/displays/options etc. Mazda's approach is more toward providing the important features yet make them as uncluttered/simple/intuitive as possible.

I find beauty in simplicity but maybe the millennials prefer the Acura approach.
    How can you not like this:

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member banjos-n-beer's Avatar

2014 QX70 AWD

Lol. At least 35 buttons on the center stack... that looks like it has a shoe dead center.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by banjos-n-beer View Post
    Lol. At least 35 buttons on the center stack... that looks like it has a shoe dead center.
    At least they don't have the stupid two screen set up of the older model MDX's.

Page 29 of 44 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast