Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

i mean i doubt it..perhaps $1,000 in real costs? (just throwing out a number)
but maybe they need to move the current 2.5 engines somehow.
and if it does cost and additional $1000 for a 2.5T engine i doubt that's the price they would have to mark it up by,

I mean...is there that big of a price difference between turbo and none turbo 2.5L? Didn't think there was but don't remember.

It sets it apart, if you know what to look for.

If the cost savings to leave it off was substantial, I agree and could have done without it.

However, like I said before, I like it though as its different and sets it apart from the other trims.

a $2k added cost on a touring model is probably going to lose a lot of customers. They would probably go to the GT trim at that price point.

Seems like about $2k [for other brands as well]. Bet it doesn't cost them anywhere near that much to build it!

Sure... I mean faster is faster. But I can't get it in a Gen 1 package so there is less chance of me feeling less satisfied.

I've never driven a turbo before so am genuinely curious.

You won't be tempted to buy cause you hate the styling, there's too much "lux" and leather, and the cost!

But you won't feel like your car is as quick as you used to. It's like one of those things you can't "unsee" after you've seen it.

You might want to wait on the test drive until you're ready to replace your car. That's my strategy, anyway. I love my car, but I would love it less if I knew what it's like with an almost identical car but with a turbo. Since I drove a fairly hot turbo for 8 years, I know how much more fun they are.

a $2k added cost on a touring model is probably going to lose a lot of customers. They would probably go to the GT trim at that price point.

Not if they want the turbo without the bells and whistles on the GT. Touring with turbo option will still be cheaper than GT with turbo no matter how you slice it.
Cost vs features. The perpetual struggle.

i mean i doubt it..perhaps $1,000 in real costs? (just throwing out a number)

I'd guess $700 going by the rule of thirds.
If something costs x to make, the general rule is, you charge 3 times x.

I would love to see the turbo come down to the Touring. That's more my feeling on a price for a CX-5.

I mean, I paid $25k for mine. $35-36k still not very appealing.

Yeah, but I think you are being unrealistic at this moment. If you really liked the car but could not pony up for new, wait 2 years and I am sure you will find a nice CX-5 reserve for 25-28K.

Sure... I mean faster is faster. But I can't get it in a Gen 1 package so there is less chance of me feeling less satisfied.

I've never driven a turbo before so am genuinely curious.

Bear in mind that the 2.5T doesn't feel like it behaves like most other turbocharged cars. If you watch dyno-tuning videos or have seen movies like F&F, you'll notice that the turbos in those cars have a lag or wind-up before the car really gets going. It's probably going to feel just like your CX-5, but it'll get up to speed a little bit faster. They didn't tune it to get the most power out of it, they tuned it to behave just like an N/A vehicle with a little more pep.

If you can, when you test it out, really try to push it a little around turns and when merging on/off of the highway. I think you'd feel more of an improvement in the handling with the suspension tweaks and GVC+.

EDIT: Do all Mazda dealerships have a "suggested route" for test driving? In the three dealerships I've been in (two in Winnipeg, MB and one in Leduc, AB), there's always been a poster on the showroom wall that maps out a course and points out where you would experience or test the specific attributes of the car i.e. freeway section, S-curves, on/off ramps, etc.. Just curious if this is a Mazda thing. And before someone says something, the only dealerships I've been in are Toyota, Lexus, Honda, and Mazda. I assume they do something similar at higher-end "driver-focused" dealerships like Audi or Jaguar.

Last edited:
yup absolutely agree!

Not if they want the turbo without the bells and whistles on the GT. Touring with turbo option will still be cheaper than GT with turbo no matter how you slice it.
Cost vs features. The perpetual struggle.

Yeah, but I think you are being unrealistic at this moment. If you really liked the car but could not pony up for new, wait 2 years and I am sure you will find a nice CX-5 reserve for 25-28K.

Yeah but I don't like leather seats, and feature wise, Touring is more my style. So turbo really only marketed to the crowd that wants it all I guess.

Bear in mind that the 2.5T doesn't feel like it behaves like most other turbocharged cars. If you watch dyno-tuning videos or have seen movies like F&F, you'll notice that the turbos in those cars have a lag or wind-up before the car really gets going. It's probably going to feel just like your CX-5, but it'll get up to speed a little bit faster. They didn't tune it to get the most power out of it, they tuned it to behave just like an N/A vehicle with a little more pep.

If you can, when you test it out, really try to push it a little around turns and when merging on/off of the highway. I think you'd feel more of an improvement in the handling with the suspension tweaks and GVC+.

EDIT: Do all Mazda dealerships have a "suggested route" for test driving? In the three dealerships I've been in (two in Winnipeg, MB and one in Leduc, AB), there's always been a poster on the showroom wall that maps out a course and points out where you would experience or test the specific attributes of the car i.e. freeway section, S-curves, on/off ramps, etc.. Just curious if this is a Mazda thing. And before someone says something, the only dealerships I've been in are Toyota, Lexus, Honda, and Mazda. I assume they do something similar at higher-end "driver-focused" dealerships like Audi or Jaguar.
I only went to one Mazda dealer to test drive. They let me take it where I wanted which included going up I-70 a bit into the mountains. I pushed it.

You won't be tempted to buy cause you hate the styling, there's too much "lux" and leather, and the cost!

But you won't feel like your car is as quick as you used to. It's like one of those things you can't "unsee" after you've seen it.

You might want to wait on the test drive until you're ready to replace your car. That's my strategy, anyway. I love my car, but I would love it less if I knew what it's like with an almost identical car but with a turbo. Since I drove a fairly hot turbo for 8 years, I know how much more fun they are.

. I used go drive a 505hp z06 for a funcar and a 150ish hp G20 for a daily. After a week or so of not driving the z06 because of bad weather, the g20 felt like it always had. Humans are super adaptable creatures.

Those customers are going to be left in the dust by Mazda anyway as they go premium. For anyone who wants a sub-$30k CX-5, this is probably the last generation that will cater to that price point.

Yeah but I don't like leather seats, and feature wise, Touring is more my style. So turbo really only marketed to the crowd that wants it all I guess.

Yeah, you may not have many options from any brand actually. However, there is a car for you and it is the VW GTI. Fast performance, cloth seats, very spacious and wholly unreliable.

Yeah, you may not have many options from any brand actually. However, there is a car for you and it is the VW GTI. Fast performance, cloth seats, very spacious and wholly unreliable.
I'll stick with what I got then and see what Gen 3 brings in a few years. ;)

Back