Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

Nah, the MS version should be a stand-alone package like the Sport backage was on my 370Z. You could get it at any trim level. It's suspension and brakes and rims and tires and diffs and the like. Should be independent of what's in the interior.

That..make mine an ms sport w/cloth heated seats on lightweight 188s, paddles, bose. Don't think I'd miss much else. Call it cx5 ms ultimate sport value super budget edition for all i give a crap @32 Im sold.

Correct. And if all we are adding is things like rims, suspension components, and dress up parts, it would work that way, however, I would want to have some power adders, which would only be fair to do in upper trim levels.

Thing is, already got the power adder. So I guess that forces the issue somewhat given where it is trimwise.

That..make mine an ms sport w/cloth heated seats on lightweight 188s, paddles, bose. Don't think I'd miss much else. Call it cx5 ms ultimate sport value super budget edition for all i give a crap @32 Im sold.

Yep. Nissan did this with the 370, and GM with the Camaro 1LE. Its a very successful forumula.

If it's anything like the 2.5NA version, yeah, it needs lots of love. My CX5 does okay, pretty well, really. Very balanced. But if it made another 70hp or so, I'd be appalled if they didn't improve the handling and brakes substantially.

Your CX5 does...pretty well? Who are you and what did you do with unob?

Bought a Black Signature for my wife last Friday. Although black is a pain to keep clean the CX5 sure looks sexy in this color. The ergonomics of CX5 fits her well which was not true for some other cars she test drove. Last year she test drove the NA and was not happy with the lack of power. She also test drove the Forester 2XT last year and liked it but couldn't see herself in a station wagon. The turbo on the CX5 suits her style of driving and the 6 speed auto is nicer than any CVT. Her only disappointment is there's no manual but the turbo and amenities won her over. Fit and finish is excellent and the cabin has a high end feel. I think she will be happy with it for years to come. I drove it today and put it through some esses at a good clip and stretched its legs. The chassis is communitive and although the suspension is soft it really handled well. It was much better than I was expecting. Now I just need to sneak in a strut bar, stiffer sway bars, better tires to tighten it up a little when shes not looking...LOL

Thing is, already got the power adder. So I guess that forces the issue somewhat given where it is trimwise.

I*m talking more power on top of whatever it has already, like a Ford Edge ST. That 330hp sounds about right, buying a Ford, not so much...

I*m talking more power on top of whatever it has already, like a Ford Edge ST. That 330hp sounds about right, buying a Ford, not so much...

Boom!
Right where I am thinking. That and a little bit of brake and suspension upgrade would make me think that looking at Euro models is ridiculous. When I look at something like a Macan I am not necessarily looking at the top trim that has over 400 hp, air suspension and oversized brakes. The base model Macan and Stelvio have just that right amount as a daily driver that would make me happy and the new CX5 T is just a tad bit short. So I am in the middle of the two classes looking down to the CX5 and looking up at the Macan, Audi SQ5, Stelvio class. There are those like the Edge ST and I think kudos to them for wanting to add this level of performance, but at $43K I just soon have something else.

I see no reason that Mazda couldn't do the same thing. If Kia can add a lot of performance to the Stinger and keep the cost under 40K than it is not that difficult to make a performance level that is refined and has attractive features. Mazda could easily do this if they wanted. I am sitting on the fence between an apple and orange comparison. It wouldn't take much to keep me enticed. Are there others like me? I believe there are several on this board and potentially a lot more mature aged men and women that would like a touch more performance.

Boom! Exactly my thinking, Felt Rider. Trust me, we*re not alone, and it*s a larger margin than some think...

I see no reason that Mazda couldn't do the same thing. If Kia can add a lot of performance to the Stinger and keep the cost under 40K than it is not that difficult to make a performance level that is refined and has attractive features. Mazda could easily do this if they wanted.

They just did!! It's called the GTR and Sig.

Gee, the cars haven't been on US soil for a month and guys are whining that they want more. (most of whom haven't even driven a 2.5T CX-5 yet.)

Yes, I'd love to see Mazda do something like what Audi did with the SQ5 but there's only so much a small/resource limited company like Mazda can do. I think Mazda will want to see how the CX-5 2.5T's do in the market before they go much further. Given the very limited production of the CX-5 2.5T's, I think they are proceeding with great caution.

Last edited:
They just did!! It's called the GTR and Sig.

Gee, the cars haven't been on US soil for a month and guys are whining that they want more. (most of whom haven't even driven a 2.5T CX-5 yet.)

Yes, I'd love to see Mazda do something like what Audi did with the SQ5 but there's only so much a small/resource limited company like Mazda can do. I think Mazda will want to see how the CX-5 2.5T's do in the market before they go much further. Given the very limited production of the CX-5 2.5T's, I think they are proceeding with great caution.

Uhh, no they didn't! They did absolutely nothing to it but slap the 2.5T in it when it comes to "performance". Sure, you get some added interior features on the Siggy, but nothing performance oriented (no suspension upgrades, wheels, bars, etc, zilch)...

Gee, we're just talking here, you know, getting a feel. I'm the first to admit that IF, and that's a huge IF, something like some of us are wanting ever comes to fruition, it will be several years down the road...

Enjoy your new 2.5T, it is nice no doubt, especially for the money, and I hope it treats you well, and the model sells well as a whole, but there is aboslutely nothing performance about it, it's just trying to keep up with the masses at this point. The 2.5T was needed for that, and now it probably is the best overall in it's class. Job well done...

Last edited:
"While I'm a big fan of all the current models and I really like the latest gen Miata...It's unfortunate Mazda does not currently offer a high-powered sports car or even a high-powered coupe!" -Antoine (owner of this site)

I totally agree, and since the SUV/CUV market is the hot ticket right now, bring it there instead to start. Wishful thinking for some, panty buncher for others...

Enjoy your new 2.5T, it is nice no doubt, especially for the money, and I hope it treats you well, and the model sells well as a whole, but there is aboslutely nothing performance about it, it's just trying to keep up with the masses at this point. The 2.5T was needed for that...

Thanks. It puts a smile on my face whenever I drive it. Yes, I hope these 2.5T trims are a resounding success for Mazda to signal that the performance oriented segment is alive and well and "keep them coming".

Thanks. It puts a smile on my face whenever I drive it. Yes, I hope these 2.5T trims are a resounding success for Mazda to signal that the performance oriented segment is alive and well and "keep them coming".

Yes, please, please do! I hope it sparks a rebranding of sorts. We don't need Mazdaspeed, you don't even have to call it anything, just bring it! Haha

Yes, please, please do! I hope it sparks a rebranding of sorts. We don't need Mazdaspeed, you don't even have to call it anything, just bring it! Haha

Especially with those of us that want this little bit of spice are mostly likely to debadge any way so that it has no identifier. We don't need no stinkin badge :)

Bought a Black Signature for my wife last Friday. Although black is a pain to keep clean the CX5 sure looks sexy in this color. The ergonomics of CX5 fits her well which was not true for some other cars she test drove. Last year she test drove the NA and was not happy with the lack of power. She also test drove the Forester 2XT last year and liked it but couldn't see herself in a station wagon. The turbo on the CX5 suits her style of driving and the 6 speed auto is nicer than any CVT. Her only disappointment is there's no manual but the turbo and amenities won her over. Fit and finish is excellent and the cabin has a high end feel. I think she will be happy with it for years to come. I drove it today and put it through some esses at a good clip and stretched its legs. The chassis is communitive and although the suspension is soft it really handled well. It was much better than I was expecting. Now I just need to sneak in a strut bar, stiffer sway bars, better tires to tighten it up a little when shes not looking...LOL

Congrats!

I like your thinking! Lol

Congrats, and enjoy the new whip...

Uhh, no they didn't! They did absolutely nothing to it but slap the 2.5T in it when it comes to "performance". Sure, you get some added interior features on the Siggy, but nothing performance oriented (no suspension upgrades, wheels, bars, etc, zilch)...

Gee, we're just talking here, you know, getting a feel. I'm the first to admit that IF, and that's a huge IF, something like some of us are wanting ever comes to fruition, it will be several years down the road...

Enjoy your new 2.5T, it is nice no doubt, especially for the money, and I hope it treats you well, and the model sells well as a whole, but there is aboslutely nothing performance about it, it's just trying to keep up with the masses at this point. The 2.5T was needed for that, and now it probably is the best overall in it's class. Job well done...

not to attack you but I don't think mazda wants to go the "performance" way. I think they just slap the 2.5T to satisfied the costumers who have own a cx5 and spoke out loudly that a 2.5T engine would make them stay with mazda. Mazdaspeed is officially dead, RX-ANY is dead. they're not going that way anymore and I doubt we will get any performace trim/ add ons or anything from mazda any time zoom or at all. they most likely want to go against luxury brands interior wise, materials used and everything else except performance. im sure the 2.5T will go to the mazda3 next. they're testing waters carefully. theyre too much of a small company to throw everything at us in one shot. I mean ofcourse we would all love a performace trim or atleast add ons but unfortunately I don't think that will be the case anytime soon.

Latest posts

Back