Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

There is a guy in the Charleston area that has one. Looks very much pimped out. Kinda ugly actually.

It*s not ugly, but I*m not totally impressed... Hell, I could buy a fully loaded Macan Turbo w/perf pkg ($90k), and 1-2 more rental houses for what it cost. Now that would be pretty...(lol)

I doubt the guy is worried, though, as he also has a decked out Panamera Turbo (another house), and lives in a $4.5M mansion with guest quarters for a live in maid and gardener. Guess I*m not doing too bad considering it comes into my hood, but I feel poor when it*s parked outside...lol

Whoa....has he let you ride in it at least? I will probably never see one of those in person.

The interior is so nice it*s actually overdone for my taste. I felt out of place and uncomfortable, although it definitely wasn*t. I can*t wven fathom dropping that type of coin on an SUV (I would say car, but I can think of a few I*d own if I could)...

The price you paid for a mid trim CX5 2015 ~ USD 21K is what a BMW dealer here is asking for a CPO X1 with 20K on the odo. So I am not sure what your point is. You are going a size smaller and smaller is lighter. Now your comment boils down to
This has similar features (It does not btw, it has far fewer)
This is a size smaller (so lighter)
But its faster 5.8 - so automatic argument winner.

This is going to be true for a CX5 in Sport / Touring / GT / GT-R / Signature trim. I wonder why you did not do that instead of buying a CPO CX5? You did not even buy a new CX5, you bought a CPO one. With less features, slower a lot slower than an X1 which was a CPO as well. *******

****** Oh wait a minute, its almost as if after the entry - there are costs to keep the GLA running. An air filter is suddenly $85 and a an oil change is $175 and premium fuel is 20% more.

I didn't even bother with a CPO CX5. The whole thing it boiled down to, is that dealer offered me $5K more than any other dealer for my Jeep, so I damn well FOUND a car on their lot that met my needs and wasn't a domestic.

Without premium fuel, the CX5T is a lot less potent, why buy it to run 87?

Here is a new MAHL GLA250 air filter for $30, free shipping: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
Others are available for $20ish.

I am not going to call the MB dealer and ask, but online estimates average around $100-140 for an oil change, likely depending on synthetic vs. not, unless they just presume synthetic? Oil changes in my CX5 typically run $70 using synthetic, dealer doing the work, me buying the oil, them supplying the filter.

2015 X1's are currently going for @$20K. I bought my 2015 CX5 in 2015. Show me a 2018 X1 X-drive (any trim level) for $21K with <30K miles on it and no wrecks in the carfax.

That's the point. A lot of us Gen 1 folks are a completely different market than what Gen 2 appeals to. It's not whining, I like what Nelson said...it's a critique. I understand many like the direction Mazda is going, but there are plenty of us who don't.

I love my Gen 1 CX-5 and I have very rarely had anything negative to say about it. I hope everyday that nothing ever happens to it until it's time, because I don't love the Gen 2.

You cannot fault someone who is absolutely in love with their car for specific reasons to be completely disappointed in a new direction for the same product that either destroys what they like about it, or otherwise makes something worse in order to appeal to a new market.

I can't speak for Uno or others, I for one would never buy a Mercedes product. But I am speaking simply for me. Keep calling it generic whining if you want, but I am simply voicing my displeasure....

As plenty of people on YOUR side did leading up to the Gen 2 with things like sound deadening, etc. I won't disparage you or anyone else for liking what they like, just please don't disparage me or others who have had our CX-5s for years, and like other things and are otherwise displeased with the change.

I used to would not, but all of my friends who have newer MB products love them, and I've never heard of an issue even in higher mileage cases. Repairs are pretty affordable, too. One of our techs at work has a 2011 CL550 with 83K on it, and just got her brakes done. Cost her about $800ish IIRC. Car doing great, no issues.

You are dead wrong.

A segment of people complained about the noise of the Gen 1 CX-5 on this board for years. What happens? Gen 2, suddenly the noise is one of the biggest things they improved.

So if you just want a forum full of Mazda bootlickers where they can do no wrong at all, fine, but don't act like having some negative feelings towards features, an issue, or a direction for the brand doesn't matter.

This isn't a circlejerk. This is a board for enthusiasts, and everyone has their own definition for what that means. I for one couldn't give 2 s**** about the road noise, and much prefer the fact that my Gen 1 is lighter and quicker than a Gen 2 with the same engine.

Exactly! What we are mad about is that with the noise improvement, we got a slow vehicle that handles similarly but lost 1" of ground clearance. I say slow, because everyone dogged on CRV and RAV4 as slow...and now t he Gen 2 turns the same times 0-60 as those CUV's did, roughly, back in 2015 when they were "slow".

So now Mazda has (maybe) fixed the "slow", but they did it at a price point that makes people like me say "wtf, Mazda? Subaru did it for $5K less than you..."

So now, I am sitting back saying "Maybe I'd spring for a lower mile 2 year old CX5T. maybe". Which is fine, but just...why Can't Mazda get it ALL right, at the same time? Like they did with the new Miata. Now THAT they did right. Everything is good about it. Sure there may be a quirk here and there, but it's priced right, optioned right, now has power and handling togather, and man...they just NAILED that. Why does the CX5 have to be a slide-rule deal where "Weellll...we gave you thissss, so we had to make it bad in thattt area...."

My last several cars were bought within a certain price range and bought with cash. Financial advisers like Dave Ramsey or Clark Howard say don't buy new, but like you I like to start with near zero miles. To me that means that no car payment for 10 years or more if the car is solid in reliability like the Mazda or a Toyota. For me personally this has worked out financially in a very good way. (Oh and we chose not to have kids. Oh crap they cost a fortune when I listen to friends talking about kids and college)

I am with you on buying new and being the first owner. I really do like that aspect.

My thoughts exactly. I buy new, cash, when every adviser says not to.
There's something about driving away in a new car that has 1 KM on the odometer that really appeals to me, (and no payments.)
You struck a nerve with the no kids thing too.
If I knew then what I know now, and I had a chance to do it all again, I'd honestly think twice about having kids.
I'm in my sixties, and I'm still forking out money for my kids. It never ends.

why Can't Mazda get it ALL right, at the same time? Like they did with the new Miata. Now THAT they did right. Everything is good about it. Sure there may be a quirk here and there, but it's priced right, optioned right, now has power and handling togather, and man...they just NAILED that. Why does the CX5 have to be a slide-rule deal where "Weellll...we gave you thissss, so we had to make it bad in thattt area...."

Simple. It's a lot easier to get everything "right" on a vehicle that's designed for a very specific purpose and limited demographic.

The CX-5 is a CUV [Compromise Utility Vehicle] that's supposed to be all things to all people. Obviously can't be done.

This isn't a circlejerk. This is a board for enthusiasts, and everyone has their own definition for what that means.

Top subforum comment 2018

ou9BwrW.jpg

Simple. It's a lot easier to get everything "right" on a vehicle that's designed for a very specific purpose and limited demographic.

The CX-5 is a CUV [Compromise Utility Vehicle] that's supposed to be all things to all people. Obviously can't be done.

But back in 2015, it was an enthusiasts vehicle meant for a narrow niche, and Mazda wasn't trying to sell cars so much as create an image and pander to a narrow demographic---This Forum, 2015.

My thoughts exactly. I buy new, cash, when every adviser says not to.
There's something about driving away in a new car that has 1 KM on the odometer that really appeals to me, (and no payments.)
You struck a nerve with the no kids thing too.
If I knew then what I know now, and I had a chance to do it all again, I'd honestly think twice about having kids.
I'm in my sixties, and I'm still forking out money for my kids. It never ends.

I finance my vehicles. It makes more sense to me to do it that way. Also, yeah, not one for having kids, myself.

Also, could care less what's on the odo when I buy it (within reason, to me, <30K miles). All that means is someone else took the first 5K hit for me on depreciation. This is a purchase of necessity, not because I actually WANT to drive a CUV.

Last edited:
I finance my vehicles. It makes more sense to me to do it that way. Also, yeah, not one for having kids, myself.

Also, could care less what's on the odo when I buy it (within reason, to me, <30K miles). All that means is someone else took the first 5K hit for me on depreciation. This is a purchase of necessity, not because I actually WANT to drive a CUV.

Wait but before you drove a big full size suv Jeep... I mean you could just be driving a $5000 Mitsubishi Mirage with <30k that already took a $5k hit if all you need is transportation. So really you could have bought another large vehicle no?

Wait but before you drove a big full size suv Jeep... I mean you could just be driving a $5000 Mitsubishi Mirage with <30k that already took a $5k hit if all you need is transportation. So really you could have bought another large vehicle no?

This is true, but I don't trust Mitsu.

Brings back a memory
When I first got married my wife had a Mirage. We got her a decent car and I used the Mirage as a daily commuter instead of my gas guzzling truck until the head gasket blew. I will never forget how lucky I was driving home from work and just as I approached the drive it went leaving a trail of oil down the street and I had just enough momentum to throw it in neutral and let it coast into the yard. I called a charity for addiction that picked up cars and got something ridiculous tax break for like $4K. I probably wouldn't have got 50 dollars for the car if it had been running and I tried to sell it.

I do love nice cars, but it is nice to have a beater in a metro area that you don't have to worry about what happens. My wife worries about her new car. Her office is not too far off from a sketchy part of Atlanta with homeless roaming like zombies. Sometimes I am not sure it is worth buying something nice where we live (or workplace) if it causes too much stress. That is one of the benefits of buying in the cheaper class for a simple point A to point B vehicle. Plus if you had something like a barely running Mirage who in the world, except for a schizophrenic, would carjack you? :) The police wouldn't even have to bother with a pit maneuver. They can just wait for it to break down. It's a real thing in Atlanta. :)

Honestly, the Miata forums are full of people complaining about the price and the lack of a 300 hp version.

Honestly, the Miata forums are full of people complaining about the price and the lack of a 300 hp version.

I think the Miata is way overpriced. I mean the nice ones are approaching $40k now...

Was really surprised to hear Unob say they were *priced right*...

I think they*re cool little cars, but no way am I ever a buyer at their current prices, and I still think they*re underpowered as well...

Da fuq did you just say? Lol, not even close...

I think the Miata is way overpriced. I mean the nice ones are approaching $40k now...

Was really surprised to hear Unob say they were *priced right*...

I think they*re cool little cars, but no way am I ever a buyer at their current prices, and I still think they*re underpowered as well...
They have more power starting in the 2019 model year.

But I entirely agree on pricing. They are just as much if not more than the CX-5 now. The whole point of a Miata was supposed to be an affordable, everyman's sportscar.

They have more power starting in the 2019 model year.

But I entirely agree on pricing. They are just as much if not more than the CX-5 now. The whole point of a Miata was supposed to be an affordable, everyman's sportscar.

The more power was 21 hp that basically did next to nothing (I already included it in my underpowered statement). It shaved off .1 tenth on 0-60, 1/4 mile, and 5-60mph roll numbers. That*s nothing to right home about. Sure, it revs way higher to 7600 and is more driveable, but that about it.

The car needs 225-250 hp imo. It weighs 2300ish lbs, so it would be great imo to see a 10 to 1 hp to weight ratio, so we will say 235hp. They handle great, are rwd, but they get blown away elsewhere in the sports car categories. They hang in the corners, and get ass raped by 20-30 car lengths down the straightaways. Waste of my gas to even mess with them...

There is another joy to driving than just a 0 to 60 sprint or 1/4 mile time. A smooth running engine and a great shifting manual transmission with a suspension that allows some cornering approaching 1g. Ed

Back