Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

Before I bought my GTR, I emailed every Mazda dealership from Everett to Vancouver, Wa. The ones closest to me wouldn't budge on price because they said it just came out but one was able to give me $2500 below MSRP. There's always one that'll give you a good deal before the end of the month to meet their quotas.
The scarcity of inventory could be one reason, but this salesman appeared to have no interest whatsoever in selling the test car. He even discouraged me from considering a lease. He clearly felt the CX-5 turbo models were overpriced. Maybe I should thank him for convincing me to wait? I dont think hell be making his quota this month.

Maybe he wants the car there for test drives? maybe he's sharing his true opinion and not into the lot lizard small talk? I am sort of agreeing with him until I see a SIG up close feature wise-$2,020 buys a lots of other stuff? and they do mostly look alike in nearly every way possible...
I thought that might be one reason, but his complete disinterest in even nudging me toward purchasing was weird. Even talked me out of considering a lease. He was fixated on the high price of both turbo models.

What makes you think anyone would think that? OF COURSE they should upgrade the suspension and brakes. But they didn't. Get over it. It's NOT a "performance SUV".

Mazda has different priorities than you. They're trying to figure out how to sell the most cars, period.
Wait just a goddam minute here.

Yes Mazda now has different priorities, but it's hilarious how much the general tune of this forum has changed right along with it. Couple years ago, heck probably even last year the tone was completely different on these boards. " Mazda is a niche brand" "they aren't trying to be the same boring big box brand" etc.

What's the world coming to when I am agreeing with Uno more and more. (rofl)

And if it's not a performance suv, then why are they releasing the turbo at all for CX-5? Oh what...because its "upmarket"? Yes apparently. Which is funny. People have been asking for turbos on this board for YEARS because they wanted a performance CX-5. Period. But I guess Mazda is changing and the leather a real wood enthusiasts are right there along with it.

Last edited:
I hope I see the day Mazda drops a CVT in it and everyone talks about how much of an improvement a transmission that keeps the engine in its powerband better is.

What makes you think anyone would think that? OF COURSE they should upgrade the suspension and brakes. But they didn't. Get over it. It's NOT a "performance SUV".

Mazda has different priorities than you. They're trying to figure out how to sell the most cars, period.

There are people that will complain about Mazda no matter what they do. The complained about the lack of 2.5T, the lack of sound proofing, newer style and now that those have been addressed, they are complaining about other things. Suspension, which no one says is a problem, and price.

Responding respectfully, I guess this is where I am struggling to stay with Mazda and why we (my wife and I) have already started moving away last year by getting a different brand than being the loyal Mazda owner that we once were. In terms of reliability we sure have appreciated not having to make repeat visits to the mechanic, but in terms of bang for the buck we chose to get something else for her last year and now I am starting to look at the market. My priorities are changing and I am not sure I will stick with Mazda the next time around.

Certainly the new CX5 turbo should be better than my 187hp version, but for the money there are other options that are just as appealing with legit performance in mind. I got the Mazda email and it said, "Your copy of Zoom Zoom" and my first thought was bullsh..... My first thought when I got that initial press release pictures of the new 3 was, "Man that looks like crap."

I am trying to hang with Mazda, but I realize I am drifting away from what Mazda thinks is appealing to the masses. I have another couple of years so I am not ready to walk away from Mazda yet.
I keep hoping that Zoom Zoom will return one day.

CX-5 turbo is as much a performance SUV as lexus ES350 is a performance sedan. It might be the fastest Mazda now, but its not a performance SUV. The car can handle extra bit of power.

Felt_rider: you lost me on value for money. I can understand you may not like the direction mazda is headed, but unless you step down the ladder: toyonda, kia Hyundai, Mitsubishi - I do not see where you get better value. Now of course a CPO 3 series will come out ahead but what brand make model you thought was better value???
In 2021 due to MSRP going north, mazda might be less appealing but right now it's peak for value for money.

CX-5 turbo is as much a performance SUV as lexus ES350 is a performance sedan. It might be the fastest Mazda now, but its not a performance SUV. The car can handle extra bit of power.

Felt_rider: you lost me on value for money. I can understand you may not like the direction mazda is headed, but unless you step down the ladder: toyonda, kia Hyundai, Mitsubishi - I do not see where you get better value. Now of course a CPO 3 series will come out ahead but what brand make model you thought was better value???
In 2021 due to MSRP going north, mazda might be less appealing but right now it's peak for value for money.

Respectfully, value is an opinion of the person. Stepping down is not always the path of the buyer or what is considered value. Mazda has stepped up with the CX5 and raised the price to get the turbo. That model comes closer to some other CUV's that I would consider a better value in the things that check my boxes of pros and cons. Yes, a CPO MB, Porsche, Audi, BMW etc seems like a good value for where I am currently in life and financially. There again CX5 is not totally off my list. I am not here to troll my opinion. I am here to get a variety of opinions like yours and others. By this it may keep the CX5 on the list of consideration.

I am interested to see what the German engineers from BMW performance will introduce to a future Kia / Hyundai CUV. I believe the Stinger and i30 N are just the start.

There are people that will complain about Mazda no matter what they do. The complained about the lack of 2.5T, the lack of sound proofing, newer style and now that those have been addressed, they are complaining about other things. Suspension, which no one says is a problem, and price.

No ones complaining, just pointing out the obvious bootlicking...

Unob, Colorado, and Felt Rider are nailing this s***...

Respectfully, value is an opinion of the person. Stepping down is not always the path of the buyer or what is considered value. Mazda has stepped up with the CX5 and raised the price to get the turbo. That model comes closer to some other CUV's that I would consider a better value in the things that check my boxes of pros and cons. Yes, a CPO MB, Porsche, Audi, BMW etc seems like a good value for where I am currently in life and financially. There again CX5 is not totally off my list. I am not here to troll my opinion. I am here to get a variety of opinions like yours and others. By this it may keep the CX5 on the list of consideration.

I am interested to see what the German engineers from BMW performance will introduce to a future Kia / Hyundai CUV. I believe the Stinger and i30 N are just the start.

Reading both your comments, it seems that:
You are not liking the styling direction of Mazda
You feel CPO Audis etc can now be had for similar entry point. Cheapest CPO Porsche i see around DFW is 40K and has 15 months warranty left (7 year warranty for 2013 model) So Porsche is going to be mid 40s where Signature CX5 OTD can be about 34,000 or so if you are patient.
Both your reasons are valid.

But this still leaves me mighty confused. On one had you are saying Mazda's are getting expensive, on the other hand you are ok to try out CPO options which if you consider a 7 year ownership will easily add $7000 to maintenance / premium fuel / consumables like brakes / tires are going to be expensive. So a CPO X3 or Q5 which was 36K now is $44,000. A Porsche would hit 50-52 grand.

If I hazard a guess - You would rather get a Sport 2.5T or Touring 2.5T where you can select the bells and whistles you want ; more importantly you dont pay for fancy fluff you dont want. If this assumption is good what would be your ideal CX5 - what would it look like in terms of price / features.

Responding respectfully, I guess this is where I am struggling to stay with Mazda and why we (my wife and I) have already started moving away last year by getting a different brand than being the loyal Mazda owner that we once were. In terms of reliability we sure have appreciated not having to make repeat visits to the mechanic, but in terms of bang for the buck we chose to get something else for her last year and now I am starting to look at the market. My priorities are changing and I am not sure I will stick with Mazda the next time around.

Certainly the new CX5 turbo should be better than my 187hp version, but for the money there are other options that are just as appealing with legit performance in mind. I got the Mazda email and it said, "Your copy of Zoom Zoom" and my first thought was bullsh..... My first thought when I got that initial press release pictures of the new 3 was, "Man that looks like crap."

I am trying to hang with Mazda, but I realize I am drifting away from what Mazda thinks is appealing to the masses. I have another couple of years so I am not ready to walk away from Mazda yet.
I keep hoping that Zoom Zoom will return one day.

I have zero loyalty to Mazda. If/when something better meets my needs, I'll go that route when its time. Mazda will have to retain me with quality (slipping bad, according to many reports: Worse than Average for 2018: https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/jd-power-2018-us-vehicle-dependability-study ), and performance (Now they are "just one of" instead of leading the segment). Hopefully SA-X comes out and is awesome and they re-vamp a few things and so on in the intervening years.

To be fair, I only started complaining Gen 2 onward.

You feel CPO Audis etc can now be had for similar entry point. Cheapest CPO Porsche i see around DFW is 40K and has 15 months warranty left (7 year warranty for 2013 model) So Porsche is going to be mid 40s where Signature CX5 OTD can be about 34,000 or so if you are patient.

But this still leaves me mighty confused. On one had you are saying Mazda's are getting expensive, on the other hand you are ok to try out CPO options which if you consider a 7 year ownership will easily add $7000 to maintenance / premium fuel / consumables like brakes / tires are going to be expensive. So a CPO X3 or Q5 which was 36K now is $44,000. A Porsche would hit 50-52 grand.

If I hazard a guess - You would rather get a Sport 2.5T or Touring 2.5T where you can select the bells and whistles you want ; more importantly you dont pay for fancy fluff you dont want. If this assumption is good what would be your ideal CX5 - what would it look like in terms of price / features.

My point is, if I were going to spend $35K, it wouldn't be on some tarted up CX5, it would be on something like this (in this segment): https://www.mbofnwa.com/certified/M...ville-ar-a4ab962f0a0e0aea5a71343d385a7967.htm

I can hear the first thing now...but it only has 208hp! Yeah, well that didn't stop it from running 0-60 in 5.8 seconds.

I mean, really. Sell me a CX5T when the GLA250 4MATIC exists used 1 year old with a couple thousand miles on it for the same cost, with identical and/or better options.

Last edited:

For me it's that I bought my CX-5 AWD Touring for $25.5k. If I want to spend the same amount, for the same trim, it's at least $2k more now last I checked. But because I prefer cloth seats to leather and fake leather, I would move down to the Sport. Either way, at both of these trims, it's the same engine I have now. Only thing I am getting are a style change I don't care for, a more "upscale" interior I don't care to pay for or want. The only thing compelling was a turbo engine, but now it's in the trims that are $10k more than I payed for my CX-5.

All in all, not interested in another CX-5 at this stage. It costs way more for new features I may want due to locking into the high trims (turbo engine), it costs a bit more for interior and exterior stylistic changes I don't like or want. And at the trim/cost level I would be looking at, since it has the same engine mine has, it has actually gotten worse on the performance front than mine which makes it completely undesirable to me. Plain and simple.

My point is, if I were going to spend $35K, it wouldn't be on some tarted up CX5, it would be on something like this (in this segment): https://www.mbofnwa.com/certified/M...ville-ar-a4ab962f0a0e0aea5a71343d385a7967.htm

I can hear the first thing now...but it only has 208hp! Yeah, well that didn't stop it from running 0-60 in 5.8 seconds.

I mean, really. Sell me a CX5T when the GLA250 4MATIC exists used 1 year old with a couple thousand miles on it for the same cost, with identical and/or better options.

The price you paid for a mid trim CX5 2015 ~ USD 21K is what a BMW dealer here is asking for a CPO X1 with 20K on the odo. So I am not sure what your point is. You are going a size smaller and smaller is lighter. Now your comment boils down to
This has similar features (It does not btw, it has far fewer)
This is a size smaller (so lighter)
But its faster 5.8 - so automatic argument winner.

This is going to be true for a CX5 in Sport / Touring / GT / GT-R / Signature trim. I wonder why you did not do that instead of buying a CPO CX5? You did not even buy a new CX5, you bought a CPO one. With less features, slower a lot slower than an X1 which was a CPO as well. *******

****** Oh wait a minute, its almost as if after the entry - there are costs to keep the GLA running. An air filter is suddenly $85 and a an oil change is $175 and premium fuel is 20% more.

Last edited:

No, you are very far off in my perspective. I am not looking for cheaper at all.
Is Motel 6 a better value to a Hilton? It may be cheaper, but to me it is not a better value. If that makes sense?
When I used the word value it has a different meaning to me and not necessarily a monetary amount.

lollol ill take the new cx5 non turbo or turbo over that POS looking thing any day. specially if its a pre owned pos.

Back