Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

How is machine gray color? Scratches shown easily? I have had a silverstone S2000 a while back. I like the snow flakes but my current ND is a ceramic metallic white. Trying to go with another color to spice things up.
Ceramic NDs are damn sexy! (thumb)

I guess agree to disagree. Mazda is a niche brand with a sporty flair, making it an ideal candidate to convincingly transition to an upscale brand.

Also, a big difference between Mazdas path and the examples you cite is that Mazda will be fully committed to premium. Its name wont be dragged down by selling econo car crap like the Fiesta or Yaris opposite its premium offerings. That identity crisis is where other brands have failed.
Is it a real luxury brand though? How are we defining luxury? The fit and finish? The materials? The technology features? All the above?

Some thread recently, someone was definitely calling the materials and fit and finish in his gen 2 "faux luxury" CX-5, cheapo crap. Same complaints I hear with some folks on the gen 1.

Mazda, either be a full on luxury brand or don't.

At this point, a $40k CX-5 is nothing more than something for me to scoff at considering aside from material (which some folks still complain about), styling, and soundproofing, its otherwise the same freaking CX-5 as mine.

But when I see threads with Gen 2 owners complaining about material quality or fit and finish with dash gaps, etc. Sounds like the same old to me! Not a $40k luxury car.

Last edited:
How is machine gray color? Scratches shown easily? I have had a silverstone S2000 a while back. I like the snow flakes but my current ND is a ceramic metallic white. Trying to go with another color to spice things up.

On the CX-9, it is absolutely gorgeous. Very elegant looking.

Is it a real luxury brand though? How are we defining luxury? The fit and finish? The materials? The technology features? All the above?

Some thread recently, someone was definitely calling the materials and fit and finish in his gen 2 "faux luxury" CX-5, cheapo crap. Same complaints I hear with some folks on the gen 1.

At this point, a $40k CX-5 is nothing more than something for me to scoff at considering aside from material (which some folks still complain about), styling, and soundproofing, its otherwise the same freaking CX-5 as mine.

But when I see threads with Gen 2 owners complaining about material quality or fit and finish with dash gaps, etc. Sounds like the same old to me! Not a $40k luxury car.

Ugh, like Ive said a million times before, theyre in transition. I dont understand why you people keep arguing against Mazdas plans to go luxury based on todays products. Its not like they just woke up and declared themselves a luxury brand - itll take years.

No offense, but an equivalent 2019 CX5 to yours costs about $28K and I think you would be surprised at the quality you get at that price point.

It's not an all or nothing thing. My comment more had to do with the customer attitude of "it drives itself" being an odd thing to hear for a brand like Mazda. But it makes sense, given their current direction. And with context, it makes sense in NYC. So I get that.

(scratch)

Humans are funny creatures in wanting to get a little from Column A and a little from Column B.

It also makes you wonder why they buy brands like Audi, BMW, and Mercedes when a Bentley is far more luxurious. Or why people buy Vipers, Corvettes, and RC-Fs when a Ferrari, Lamborghini, or McLaren is far more performance-oriented. It's almost as if there's something holding them back from buying full-on whatever, so brands/cars that offer some of what they're after end up in their garages.

Hint: Its called money and circumstance/situation.

Last edited:

Love it on my CX-9. It looks especially good in less than ideal conditions, i.e. overcast or cloudy weather. Most grays/silvers that I've seen tend to get washed out in these conditions, but the machine grey still manages to stand out a bit. I have one scratch on a front fender that will require paint correction, but a light polish and some wax is hiding it very well for now.

EDIT: I also had to have the rear quarter panels repainted due to two hit and run incidents, and I was worried about the body shop being able to match the paint properly. They ended up doing a fantastic job. Ease of paint matching might be something to consider as I've seen complaints from others on different car forums complaining about paint not matching from the body shop.

Last edited:

That's BS. Not all CX-5's are created equal. What Mazda's thrown at the CX-5 Sig. trim can go toe to toe with the upper trims of Q5, RDX, X3, etc. Materials, features, driver aids, performance, handling, etc, etc. The only thing lacking is the $10k higher price tag and the brand perception.

I see no reason why Mazda can't use trim level to differentiate "luxury" from the rest of the pack. Ideally they'd create a new brand like Infinity, Acura, etc but they're way too small.

It remains to be seen if consumers will perceive the Sig trim as luxury/performance at excellent value relative to the competition or an overpriced CX-5.

This thread has run its course. Needs to be binned before Unob's CX-5s resale drops so low - he can sell it for Bolivars instead of dollars.

Have you driven a 2016/2016.5 after the Major refresh?

Have you driven a next generation 2017 and UP yet?

the only thing Mazda needs to do, and they are working on it, is to make their dealerships a bit more upscale.
One of the reasons i went with Luxury manufactures (BMW and MB) is that the dealership and service experience was sooo nice.
As of now, I love my current dealership, one of the best ones around and is the reason i travel a few miles to get my car serviced.

I have also owned Hyundais and Nissans and would not get one again because of the service experiences i've had, they all suck, which is a pity.

Under the hood, its the same engine (now they do have the turbo though), same transmission, which by the way, I have no complaints about either. The guts of the vehicle are otherwise largely the same. Only difference like I said is styling, materials, tech features.

Anyway, I know they are in transition, I just don't understand how materials, styling, and as Chris_Top_Her called them "gimmicky features" alone warrant an almost $40k MSRP for a Sig when the big things are otherwise the same as my $25k CX-5. So it has brown leather, and some technology. Is it really $15k more? GT has leather. It's in that low $30k range. What's the big difference between that and Sig? Ok, Sig has a turbo. Is that several thousands?

I just am saying I don't understand the current pricing if they are not yet actual luxury brand. I guess they are still cheaper than luxury brands. I'm just thinking out loud at this point.

Anyway, today is the day I go test out one of these new Turbo CX-5s. EDIT: Actually decided to work from home today, so will be tomorrow as there is a Mazda dealer 2 minutes from the office.

Last edited:
Hey C/D- scoff all you want but 38k msrp(that of cx5 sig) doesn't get you anything more than an entry level zero option (hope you don't like metallic paint) awd X1 w/pleather these days- just sayin- Q5? Add 5- and that's just for starters...so sig cx-5 cheap? No- finding a niche in between "true luxury brand" and mainstream- I say why not and lower trims are still there at a great value (we just won't name them as such:))

(scratch)

Humans are funny creatures in wanting to get a little from Column A and a little from Column B.

You took my bolded quote out if context from what I was quoting in relation to bringing it down here. (Uhm)

But I otherwise appreciate your sentiment.

Hey C/D- scoff all you want but 38k msrp(that of cx5 sig) doesn't get you anything more than an entry level zero option (hope you don't like metallic paint) awd X1 w/pleather these days- just sayin- Q5? Add 5- and that's just for starters...so sig cx-5 cheap? No- finding a niche in between "true luxury brand" and mainstream- I say why not and lower trims are still there at a great value (we just won't name them as such:))
Fair enough. But the guts are still the same as my $25k gen 1.

But maybe I just don't understand "luxury brands".

Anyway, I'll shut my trap, I'm obviously riling people up calling for " close the thread". I'm headed to the dealer by work tomorrow to try out this turbo. I'll report back on my driving impressions.

I hear what you're saying but I think "luxury brands" are largely over-rated, over-priced over-image conscious machines to separate you from more of your money because ya know luxury wink wink. I'm curious to know your findings (I've not yet sampled a '19) but I'd also be curious to know your findings of what 38k gets you in a compact CUV lux nameplate. I think you're looking at +10k to get into something with a close to comparable feature set- nicer when all said and done- yeah I guess, dlr experience- probably better..few free services- is that worth 10k?

If C/D test drives a Signature, he might not know what to do with ALL the Luxury and how to handle it,
it's like going out with a mediocore chick all your life, and all of a sudden you have a date with a hot model!
just make sure you clean up after yourself..haha

anyways hope you enjoy your test drive, curious to see your comments on this.

I hear what you're saying but I think "luxury brands" are largely over-rated, over-priced over-image conscious machines to separate you from more of your money because ya know luxury wink wink. I'm curious to know your findings (I've not yet sampled a '19) but I'd also be curious to know your findings of what 38k gets you in a compact CUV lux nameplate. I think you're looking at +10k to get into something with a close to comparable feature set- nicer when all said and done- yeah I guess, dlr experience- probably better..few free services- is that worth 10k?

the only thing Mazda needs to do, and they are working on it, is to make their dealerships a bit more upscale.
One of the reasons i went with Luxury manufactures (BMW and MB) is that the dealership and service experience was sooo nice.
As of now, I love my current dealership, one of the best ones around and is the reason i travel a few miles to get my car serviced.

I have also owned Hyundais and Nissans and would not get one again because of the service experiences i've had, they all suck, which is a pity.

Same for me with Subaru. Great Mazda service experience was a HUGE reason why I bought a new CX 5 after 12 years with my Tribute.

Latest posts

Back