Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

Maybe someone fluent in Japanese can come up with something relevant but not too hard to annunciate or too much of a word salad.

Mazda ZZ - for Zoom Zoom? Although I*d probably think of the band ZZ Top and their monstrous beards.

It would have been great if they purchased the MG name and became Mazda Garages (MG).

I love the idea of a cool Japanese name.

Well, In this thread alone there are several people considering/buying CX-5 who also shopped BMW, Audi, etc. Obviously they have more work to do, but Mazdas reputation is already fastly rising.

It doesnt require a rename. Audi was a niche European brand like Saab before targeting BMW and Mercedes about a decade ago. Now look at them. No new name. Ten years from now, I highly suspect Mazda will share a similar story.

Again, I cant say emphasize enough that Mazda is in transition, which takes time. Wait 4-5 years before judging.

Plot Twist...Audi used to under the same umbrella as Mercedes. So it's not much of a shock.

Yea, he has a solid point. Also the said Audi he mentions is basically a VW. Hell a lot of them are built on the same platform, and the VW version could actually be the better car in some cases. Like my old Passat, I*d never own another one, but it fits the bill...

Don't forget where the Porsche came from...

But he has a point. Many people don't realize that Lexus is Toyota and their Infinity EX35 is basically a Nissan Rogue. People pay for luxury.

Mazda once was going to create the Amanti brand - but that was a stupid name. I don't think (currently) that Mazda has the size to spin off a different brand, but hopefully it will some day.

But anybody have a name?

How ironic that Kia in the mid/early 2000's decided to name their direct jab at the C-class "Amanti".
2007-Kia-Amanti.jpg

Many people don't realize that Lexus is Toyota and their Infinity EX35 is basically a Nissan Rogue. People pay for luxury.

Not really, half of Lexus line is based on rwd platform, so does Infiniti. I'd love to see Mazda develop something based off the miata/rx though, a sedan or a crossover with a 2.0t based off the 2019 miata engine and the 10 speed from Toyota.

Lexus had to do the same when they tried to compete with the Germans, problem is Mazda is too small.

I think it's funny that these cars are readily available at dealers now, I took our car in for an oil change and was able to drive a GTR...yet there have been no official write-ups in the mainstream automotive press and there are only a few videos on YouTube. I figured given that most cars in this compact crossover class are pretty underpowered and Mazda is the enthusiast darling that there would be a lot of attention paid to this new engine. Guess not.

ACURA RDX and the BMW X3 have had the 2019 turbo version out for many months and either produce more HP or better acceleration times. Our CX5 T is a late comer, so let's hope it can over shadow the others with something special besides price. I also await a genuine road test from Car & Driver or other US magazine. Ed

I think it's funny that these cars are readily available at dealers now, I took our car in for an oil change and was able to drive a GTR...yet there have been no official write-ups in the mainstream automotive press and there are only a few videos on YouTube. I figured given that most cars in this compact crossover class are pretty underpowered and Mazda is the enthusiast darling that there would be a lot of attention paid to this new engine. Guess not.

Yeah, I think Mazda does a terrible job of advertising. They should be screaming about the high reliability rankings and high crash test scores. They released the Mazda 6 and CX5 with the 2.5T and there is no press about it at all. Zero.

Yeah, I think Mazda does a terrible job of advertising. They should be screaming about the high reliability rankings and high crash test scores. They released the Mazda 6 and CX5 with the 2.5T and there is no press about it at all. Zero.

What CUV in their price bracket are they more reliable than? Source?

ACURA RDX and the BMW X3 have had the 2019 turbo version out for many months and either produce more HP or better acceleration times. Our CX5 T is a late comer, so let's hope it can over shadow the others with something special besides price. I also await a genuine road test from Car & Driver or other US magazine. Ed

I can't comment on the X3, but the RDX and CX-5 2.5T perform very differently:

- The RDX has a dead pedal affect (turbo lag). You press the gas and there's a very noticeable delay before it finally takes off. However once it does, it really moves.

- The CX-5 2.5T is like a V-8. Power delivery is seamless. There is no noticeable turbo lag.

I have no idea which one will ultimately produce better 0-60 numbers. Although the Mazda feels faster, I think RDX might be the 0-60 winner if you do a launch. I'd gladly sacrifice a little 0-60 time in order to get seamless acceleration without the dead pedal affect. The Mazda also sounds so much better. The RDX was on my short list until I actually drove it.

I'm also anxiously awaiting expert CX-5 2.5T track reviews.

P.S. I have yet to drive the CX-5 with premium fuel. That test will be soon.

Last edited:

Agreed w/terrible- but I did hear a cx-5 ad other day- now w/signature trim and turbo..

Back