Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

Exactly. Any reason why not? Except Mazda won't being selling one to you anytime soon. But a junkyard will before too long.

Because it's a whole heap of work to get stomped on by a stock Camry. Why not put a real motor in it like an LSX series or a 2JZ or something if you're going to go that far?

We've had this discussion before. It's pretty low on most of ours. Except his.
Not to even mention Mazdas resale has only been getting better.

This is true, if you are going to pay cash for a vehicle (bad idea with interest rates so low), or keep it for the full pay-off time, then I agree, it shouldn't matter, but if you MIGHT want to trade out of it...being upside down blows.

GTFO. Resale isn't that bad that you can't get our of your loan completely.

actually i think it depends on the color
SCR = $38,480
Machine Grey = $38,185

Yes, you need to add the $995 destination fee to MSRP.

There's also an upcharge of $300 for certain colors and for some reason Mazda adds $400 roof rails to almost every Signature upon arrival at the port.

Ah, the destination fee and the roof rails. That makes sense, thank you.

Because it's a whole heap of work to get stomped on by a stock Camry. Why not put a real motor in it like an LSX series or a 2JZ or something if you're going to go that far?

Not a fair comparison. It would be way more impressive to fit one of those engines into the CX-5, but its also much harder and way more expensive to do it (especially if you want to keep AWD). 2.5 Skyactiv-G to 2.5 Skyactiv-G Turbo would be a hell of a lot easier, and you'd basically end up with the exact same car you have, just faster.

Not a fair comparison. It would be way more impressive to fit one of those engines into the CX-5, but its also much harder and way more expensive to do it (especially if you want to keep AWD). 2.5 Skyactiv-G to 2.5 Skyactiv-G Turbo would be a hell of a lot easier, and you'd basically end up with the exact same car you have, just faster.

I understand that, but it's just not worth it in any way I can see. You're still doing the 1/4 mile in the 14's at best. I mean, it would be a fun project just to pitter around with if you own a shop and already have the capability to do it without buying any tools or paying anyone, but otherwise, it seems like a terrible idea from the cost/benefit standpoint. With the LSX, or 2JZ, you'd at least have a vehicle that would surprise the hell out of people and be truly fast (for a CUV).

I understand that, but it's just not worth it in any way I can see. You're still doing the 1/4 mile in the 14's at best. I mean, it would be a fun project just to pitter around with if you own a shop and already have the capability to do it without buying any tools or paying anyone, but otherwise, it seems like a terrible idea from the cost/benefit standpoint. With the LSX, or 2JZ, you'd at least have a vehicle that would surprise the hell out of people and be truly fast (for a CUV).

Isn't that the whole point of this discussion? Nobody's expressed any interest in turning their CUV into a race car, we're just talking about adding some pep to the G1 CX-5's step.

Cost/benefit is subjective to a degree, and also can't be determined without having the final cost of parts and labour and performance numbers post install/tune. For example, if you buy the 2.5T brand new from Mazda somehow, its going to cost way more than salvaging a used engine from a wrecked G2 CX-9, G3 6GT+, or G2 CX-5 GTR+. WRT shop costs, totally depends on whether the person doing the project is willing to pay someone else to do the labour. Some people are not mechanically inclined, and those who are might not have the time. For some, it's just not worth their time.

Let's say you were interested in adding some power to you CX-5. What would you pay to get an increase of 65hp and 125tq with almost no turbo lag? For some people, $3k is fair. For others, it's unfathomable. For others still, it's cheap. It all depends on whoever's funding the project and what they want to achieve.

I can't wait for someone to add intake, downpipe, and tune to the new 2.5T and see if they can get 325 HP out of it on 93. With better wheels/tires you would have a cuv that would surprise most Q5, X3, GLC300 and Fpace owners. And all for $20K less. Of course there are still SQ5, X3M, GLC AMG, and Fpace SC that would be faster, but at much higher cost.

I can't wait for someone to add intake, downpipe, and tune to the new 2.5T and see if they can get 325 HP out of it on 93. With better wheels/tires you would have a cuv that would surprise most Q5, X3, GLC300 and Fpace owners. And all for $20K less. Of course there are still SQ5, X3M, GLC AMG, and Fpace SC that would be faster, but at much higher cost.

We don't seem to be too far away. We already have the CS intake, exhaust, and some tuning options, and I believe CS also has an upgraded FMIC kit for the 6 in the works. Downpipe would be next I think.

Off to the dealer. Will report back later. :)
Well that was a bust. Their Signatures are still wrapped in plastic and they said they aren't going to have a regular inventory for the turbo models until Jan/Feb and that would be a better time to try to test drive.

Why are all these reviews in snowy conditions? I assume to focus not on absolute street performance?

Why are all these reviews in snowy conditions? I assume to focus not on absolute street performance?

Because it's not for performance. It's for daily driving, and Mazda doesn't care if it's fast or not.---Seems to be the official answer, here on this forum.

Back