Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

I don't see 2.5T making it as a 27k USD sport trim. Too expensive due to fuel economy measures and no profit for Mazda. GT might get it as optional. Also this puts the 2.5T in luxury class so can't see more than 30k units annually. This is really extreme end of the estimate.
Unless someone allowed OP to drive the brand new signature 100 miles without buying it his mpg #s have no significance. I would love to know that dealers name.
In 27000 miles my CX-5 filled 12 gallons twice. Mostly its 11.XX gallons after fuel warning. So NA range for FWD is 300 not even 330. AWD might be 325. So the turbo would be 275 on higher side.

This morning I test drove a '19 Acura RDX and here are my impressions compared to the CX-5 Signature:

- I could live with the RDX styling but it's a bit cluttered especially with that oddball chrome cladding on the lower door panels.
- I was really underwhelmed with the performance. It seemed to have significant turbo lag/"dead pedal affect". The Mazda 2.5T had seamless acceleration based on my test drive. The Acura might have better 0-60 performance on paper but you'd never perceive it based on a test drive.
- The RDX was not as quiet as I thought it would be and the engine sounds terrible.
- The RDX seems to have more technology then the Mazda but I'm not sure how much of it is really useful. It seems very cluttered with all the various modes, options, buttons.
- Mazda's Signature level interior quality is just as good if not better then RDX.

There's no way I'd pay a $10k premium for the RDX. It's off my short list.

I'd like to test drive an Audi Q5 next.

This morning I test drove a '19 Acura RDX and here are my impressions compared to the CX-5 Signature:

- I could live with the RDX styling but it's a bit cluttered especially with that oddball chrome cladding on the lower door panels.
- I was really underwhelmed with the performance. It seemed to have significant turbo lag/"dead pedal affect". The Mazda 2.5T had seamless acceleration based on my test drive. The Acura might have better 0-60 performance on paper but you'd never perceive it based on a test drive.
- The RDX was not as quiet as I thought it would be and the engine sounds terrible.
- The RDX seems to have more technology then the Mazda but I'm not sure how much of it is really useful. It seems very cluttered with all the various modes, options, buttons.
- Mazda's Signature level interior quality is just as good if not better then RDX.

There's no way I'd pay a $10k premium for the RDX. It's off my short list.

I'd like to test drive an Audi Q5 next.

Interesting to say the least. Mazda with a more refined feel than an Acura!

I'm curious if there's less turbo lag because the Mazda has a higher displacement engine to begin with? (2.5 vs 2.0)

I wonder what the torque numbers for the RDX look like compared to the 2.5T. The Mazda's goal is lots of torque at low RPMs, not sure what the RDX is designed to do. The 2.0T in the Accord feels really nice.

I wonder what the torque numbers for the RDX look like compared to the 2.5T. The Mazda's goal is lots of torque at low RPMs, not sure what the RDX is designed to do. The 2.0T in the Accord feels really nice.
I dunno, when I test drove the accord the turbo lag is significant and the transmission in manual mode is very jerky in downshift.

I dunno, when I test drove the accord the turbo lag is significant and the transmission in manual mode is very jerky in downshift.

I think compared to the Mazda 6, the Accord 2.0T does have some turbo lag and some torque steer but nothing like what cars used to have. But overall, I really like 2.0T in the Accord.

I can't wait to see how the CX-5 behaves with the 2.5T. My brother just got a BMW with xDrive and when he puts the power down, that thing moves fast regardless of the road conditions.

Last edited:

Long shot question, I know, but have you ever driven an Alfa Romeo Stelvio by chance? From what I have been reading 2018 models are going from about $10K-$12K below sticker (seems to vary by area). That puts some models in the CX-5 turbo price range.

-kp

Long shot question, I know, but have you ever driven an Alfa Romeo Stelvio by chance? From what I have been reading 2018 models are going from about $10K-$12K below sticker (seems to vary by area). That puts some models in the CX-5 turbo price range.

-kp

You're right. There appear to be some steep discounts on Alfa's. However I've ruled out any brands where there's only one dealer in the entire state. (just like Jaguar).

The '18 Audi Q5's are also discounted pretty heavily right now. The base trim comes close to CX-5 Sig. price territory but it takes the Prestige trim to include all the options that come standard with the Sig. and that jumps it up around $10k.

I'm going to test drive the 2.5T eventually, just to see how it drives. Doubt I'll trade in for it but just so I know what I'm missing :D I love the CX-5 and will keep it for a few more years then probably get a sedan next. I'd really like to get back into an accord again and I do like the new 2.0t touring models. Will probably see how it looks after the next refresh. Heck, if the next CX-5 refresh looks better I'll stick with that again but I kinda want a sedan again tho lol

You're right. There appear to be some steep discounts on Alfa's. However I've ruled out any brands where there's only one dealer in the entire state. (just like Jaguar).

The '18 Audi Q5's are also discounted pretty heavily right now. The base trim comes close to CX-5 Sig. price territory but it takes the Prestige trim to include all the options that come standard with the Sig. and that jumps it up around $10k.

If you buy the Alfa, keep a CX-5 around to use when the Alfa is down!

CX5 T: 227Hp on regular fuel. 250 Hp on 91 octane. Torques 310lb/ft at 2,000 rpm. Hp at 5,000 rpm.
RDX 272Hp at 6,500 rpm and 280 lb/ft at 1,600 rpm.
And the quickest 0 to 60 mph car of the 3 is the BMW X3 2.0T 248hp at 5,200 rpm and 158lb/ft at 1,450 rpm.

I think the X3 is the nicest appearance quality of the 3. When I made a simple comparison of features vs price the RDX is about $4,500 more than the CX5 and the X3 is another 1,000 over the RDX. These prices are for those who are foolish enough to pay MSRP to be first guy on the block to show off one. Ed

Just my opinion...while I wouldn't rule out an RDX as I cross-shopped a '15 RDX when I bought my CX-5 I don't entertain the European brands as I am long term owner. Call me stubborn if you will but I still don't believe their overall reliability issues have been addressed. Can you find a reliable one? Sure.... statistically..there are probably many who have good luck but overall it seems there will be issues long term. I've noticed as well when someone claims great luck with a European brand it isn't a fully loaded model but a base model lacking the problem areas. Nothing you haven't heard before but if I only bought or leased vehicles under warranty.. no problem with any brand assuming it isn't parked at the dealer every other week. That isn't me though but I don't look down on those that often turnover their vehicles. That is their choice.

Just my opinion...while I wouldn't rule out an RDX as I cross-shopped a '15 RDX when I bought my CX-5 I don't entertain the European brands as I am long term owner. Call me stubborn if you will but I still don't believe their overall reliability issues have been addressed. Can you find a reliable one? Sure.... statistically..there are probably many who have good luck but overall it seems there will be issues long term. I've noticed as well when someone claims great luck with a European brand it isn't a fully loaded model but a base model lacking the problem areas. Nothing you haven't heard before but if I only bought or leased vehicles under warranty.. no problem with any brand assuming it isn't parked at the dealer every other week. That isn't me though but I don't look down on those that often turnover their vehicles. That is their choice.

Seriously, who has time to go to the dealers. I rather use my time doing something else. When I had the Tacoma new which came with free oil change, I never once stepped into the dealership for the free work.

CX5 T: 227Hp on regular fuel. 250 Hp on 91 octane. Torques 310lb/ft at 2,000 rpm. Hp at 5,000 rpm.
RDX 272Hp at 6,500 rpm and 280 lb/ft at 1,600 rpm.
And the quickest 0 to 60 mph car of the 3 is the BMW X3 2.0T 248hp at 5,200 rpm and 158lb/ft at 1,450 rpm.

I think the X3 is the nicest appearance quality of the 3. When I made a simple comparison of features vs price the RDX is about $4,500 more than the CX5 and the X3 is another 1,000 over the RDX. These prices are for those who are foolish enough to pay MSRP to be first guy on the block to show off one. Ed

Wacky that the RDX has so much torque down low but you still feel all that turbo lag. I am convinced that BMW under states their true HP.

If you buy the Alfa, keep a CX-5 around to use when the Alfa is down!

I checked in on an Alpha forum. Most owners are quite happy, despite needing an occasional firmware/software update. Nothing like the gloom and doom you hear about elsewhere. Of course most owners there have the 2.0L 4 banger.

Have you never experienced a recall? Heck.. I have a Lexus (Toyota) GX 460 and had to take to dealer to replace the front passenger airbag w/Takata recall....also got hit with a water pump replacement under warranty.

The only vehicle that never saw the dealer for something under warranty was my wife's first new car. It was a '96 Mazda Protege LX. Gutless to a non-turbo diesel level but oh so reliable.

Wife had a 2007 Lexus ES which had numerous issues. Towed both time to dealerships (one was a engine surrounding issue that lost all oil when she was driving).

The last Mazda (Familia) GTR (also available as GTS)
4WD, 1.8L Turbo 210 HP, 185 ft/lb 5 Speed manual with LSD, Rally car descended

Now back as a CUV.. kind of like Mitsubishi Eclipse (burnout)
FamiliaGTR.jpg

Last edited:
I checked in on an Alpha forum. Most owners are quite happy, despite needing an occasional firmware/software update. Nothing like the gloom and doom you hear about elsewhere. Of course most owners there have the 2.0L 4 banger.

I would argue that enthusiast forums are not representative of the car. God knows what people would think about Mazda after reading these forums!

Back