Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

A little upset you are technologically challenged and can*t use these high tech options? It*s ok. It*s not for eveyone maybe you never learned or experienced how to appreciate these features. Don*t get offended dude. Uber everyday is cheaper than owning a car? Haha. Yeah sure it is!

Meh. I just figured out today with the help of a co-worker how to use the "Group Me" app, so I'm not feeling strong on arguing that at present.

Thanks for a post that's actually on the topic. While I don't mind some off topic comments and as guilty as the next person at times, I didn't come here for conversations far and away not about the CX-5 and real car talk. This forum is showing me far too much "one up'smanship and talk far astray from Mazda CX-5's! Seems one must sift through a ratio of about 1 in 10 BS posts to read the CX-5 specific stuff. I will add that I'm on several other motorcycle and vehicle forums and this one is being dominated but a few people who feel the need to have the last word or bashing others comments back and forth-unlike I see anywhere else? Every forum has it's own flavor but this one, the highest traffic Mazda I could find is becoming a bit tedious. Can we talk CX-5's?
Rant over...

I agree. I use to visit the forum a lot since I joined over 10 years ago and discuss things Mazda but there are a handful of trolls on this site that destroy the site. So I don't visit as often. I don't like Unobtanium and can only tolerate so much but he has probably destroyed this site single handedly. Some think his offensive and off handed comments are funny but he drives away so many forum members.

Yeah, I've been here forever too. But dont visit nearly as often.
I agree. I use to visit the forum a lot since I joined over 10 years ago and discuss things Mazda but there are a handful of trolls on this site that destroy the site. So I don't visit as often. I don't like Unobtanium and can only tolerate so much but he has probably destroyed this site single handedly. Some think his offensive and off handed comments are funny but he drives away so many forum members.

Its funny that people driving automatics are upset at MRCC. You can turn off MRCC, you can buy a base Sport without MRCC, you can buy a Mazda 6 sport manual without MRCC. The existence of MRCC should be down to market economics, # of users buying it and using it and may not mean "RIP Mazda". I am assuming CD has ripped out his regular cruise control module as well and never uses it at all - since he likes driving. Maybe he has ripped out his auto shifter and added a pedal - you know "since he likes driving".

You guys are bashing Mazda -with such arguments. Pretty weak and desperate.

I think the target audience that mazda is traditionally known for is becoming smaller as they incorporate more gimmicks faster than performance. Now they are offering the turbo on the cx5, awd on the 3 with manual (but they jacked up the rear suspension), but from what I've seen here in the last 2 or 3 years is that the people buying are what I would usually call the appliance toyota/Honda crowd, with less interest on driving experience and more emphasis on gimmicks. It's not bashing; it's and observation that is reflected on this forum and the FB pages. I just hope the more performance oriented offering apppeal to a possibly different audience.

Last edited:
I think the target audience that mazda is traditionally known for is becoming smaller as they incorporate more gimmicks faster than performance. Now they are offering the turbo on the cx5, awd on the 3 with manual (but they jacked up the rear suspension), but from what I've seen here in the last 2 or 3 years is that the people buying are what I would usually call the appliance toyota/Honda crowd, with less interest on driving experience and more emphasis on gimmicks. It's not bashing; it's and observation that is reflected on this forum and the FB pages. I just hope the more performance oriented offering aren't appealing to a now different audience.
Yeah my feeling as well. I am not bashing either, just also noticing the trend.

Thanks for a post that's actually on the topic. While I don't mind some off topic comments and as guilty as the next person at times, I didn't come here for conversations far and away not about the CX-5 and real car talk. This forum is showing me far too much "one up'smanship and talk far astray from Mazda CX-5's! Seems one must sift through a ratio of about 1 in 10 BS posts to read the CX-5 specific stuff. I will add that I'm on several other motorcycle and vehicle forums and this one is being dominated but a few people who feel the need to have the last word or bashing others comments back and forth-unlike I see anywhere else? Every forum has it's own flavor but this one, the highest traffic Mazda I could find is becoming a bit tedious. Can we talk CX-5's?
Rant over...

I agree. This whole recurring lifestyle/story finance thing is getting old fast. A little bit of off topic is normal and not an issue but when it turns into an off topic pipi slinging match I'm going to start deleting posts and handing out infractions.

LOL CD. When I had my '06 Tribute, guys your age would ask me what the hole in the radio was for (cassette player!). I must admit that, even though I really like my '18 CX 5 Touring, I wouldn't mind Mazda bringing back something more rugged like the Tribute.
Then again, that CX 4 with a turbo and leather would also be pretty sweet!
(I do like the smell of leather, but don't like having to get all kinds of things I don't want (e.g., moonroof) to get it.)

I think the target audience that mazda is traditionally known for is becoming smaller as they incorporate more gimmicks faster than performance. Now they are offering the turbo on the cx5, awd on the 3 with manual (but they jacked up the rear suspension), but from what I've seen here in the last 2 or 3 years is that the people buying are what I would usually call the appliance toyota/Honda crowd, with less interest on driving experience and more emphasis on gimmicks. It's not bashing; it's and observation that is reflected on this forum and the FB pages. I just hope the more performance oriented offering apppeal to a possibly different audience.

I noticed on several YouTube review videos for various makes/models that Euro performance models are watered down for the states. For instance the new 2019 Audi Q3 (not yet released) has more engine and a dual clutch, whereas, Audi will not give the same choices and not the dual clutch in the states. They said in general that Americans hate dual clutch and do not like performance like the Europeans so they will not send over models that suited for the appliance crowd. It must be that Mazda is just following suit to sell the most cars possible to the majority demographic.

It is tough to see it for me because I do love performance. The cool thing about the European cars is a lot of them are using a gas sipping turbo 2.0 in many models. A coworker that has a modded 17 GTI gets averages a high 20 mpg on interstate travel without the turbo involved. On the other hand his 2.0 with a 91 octane and dsg tune can hang with a lot of super cars. So it can be both a econo car and a performance car depending on how the driver wants to treat it and or mod it. That's the other thing. Those cars accept mods really great and with just a couple thousand dollars aftermarket can really be a good bang for the buck.

I know I am repeating the same crap, but it just seemed like Mazda was just a couple steps from catering to the performance dudes like a few of us. I guess there just aren't enough of us to make it worth it and then you hear about those like Audi that decided to water down the models they are sending to the states. Then I see Elon Musk tweet yesterday that they are getting closer to autonomous driving. I guess the days of taking a nap in the diver's seat are getting closer.

LOL CD. When I had my '06 Tribute, guys your age would ask me what the hole in the radio was for (cassette player!). I must admit that, even though I really like my '18 CX 5 Touring, I wouldn't mind Mazda bringing back something more rugged like the Tribute.
Then again, that CX 4 with a turbo and leather would also be pretty sweet!
(I do like the smell of leather, but don't like having to get all kinds of things I don't want (e.g., moonroof) to get it.)
Lol! I had a cassette player in my Jeeps, the last of which I was driving in 2013 before I bought this lol!

I like to have fun with my teenage nephew. Showed him an old cassette and a pen and asked him how to use the two together lol.

Last edited:
Man, this thread went to s*** real fast, lol.

I was at a local Mazda dealer on Saturday to have the service guys take a look at my CX-9 (front fender lining is a little wavy and shows minor gaps). I talked to a salesperson and asked about the 2019 CX-5, he says that they only have one on the lot and it's a GT Reserve (that they aren't allowed to sell yet). Apparently the 2019s won't be coming to the dealership until early January. I wish I had more time, I would have loved to give it a good test drive.

For the record, the whole "MRCC = ded Mazda" argument doesn't make sense to me. All it shows me is that Mazda is growing into their new direction, which is an attempt to compete with premium automakers. The brand still exudes the "driving matters" motto to me. For example, when driving on the highway from AB to MB, I had MRCC set and the LKAS active. If I wanted to pass someone, I just had to step on the gas. No need to deactivate anything, and the system doesn't restrict you from doing that. With the LKAS active, you can feel the steering wheel twitch when you cross the lines, but it doesn't aggressively pull you in the opposite direction. On top of that, if your signal is on, LKAS doesn't get triggered.

IMO, Mazda's integration of automation is done in a way that benefits the driver without taking anything away from them. I think the only thing that goes against their motto is the limited availability of a manual transmission and the reversion to torsion beam rear suspension (in the 3, you get a manual transmission but you also get the suspension, so you win some and lose some).

Well looks like the local dealer has a couple of Signatures on their website (for almost $39k, jesus christ).

I may stop by when I get some time this week and see if I can try out the turbo. Of anything with Gen 2, that's about the only thing I have interest in trying. I'm sure I'll like the turbo, too bad they didn't offer it a Gen 1 package.

Well looks like the local dealer has a couple of Signatures on their website (for almost $39k, jesus christ).

I may stop by when I get some time this week and see if I can try out the turbo. Of anything with Gen 2, that's about the only thing I have interest in trying. I'm sure I'll like the turbo, too bad they didn't offer it a Gen 1 package.

A Gen 1 turbo would be sickhouse!

yes a forum that actually is on topic would be nice =)

Rant over...

thanks...of course this was meant for commuting and i'm glad "some" people actually understand this. =)

Remember, guys, Young is talking about commuting in [I assume] NYC/LI.
That is a far cry from "driving".(bang)
He's saying that MRCC relieves a lot of the stress and hassle from the commute, and it surely does. Nothing wrong with that.
When he goes for a fun drive, I suspect he's fully engaged.(drive2)

That said, the response he provoked with his choice of words is not surprising. :)

We can only speculate why Mazda is doing what its doing. I guess its down to survival - which is very hard considering their size and the current market. When they were with ford - they got a lot of benefits and shared costs. like the V6 in CX-9 was a Ford engine which Mazda could not have developed alone due to limited resources. With Ford's divorce - Mazda has gone too conservative.
I still think the base 2.5 NA does enough to differentiate with the other econo crowd - but you are correct all I have owned were Toyotas and a Scion tC.
I also don't feel Gen1 and Gen2s have a vast difference in terms of performance. A slow Gen1 CX-5 was a little more slower but upgraded in every which way - no biggie.
AWD 3 - shocked me the most but its more about gaining more customers than about performance.

I also don't feel Gen1 and Gen2s have a vast difference in terms of performance. A slow Gen1 CX-5 was a little more slower but upgraded in every which way - no biggie.

Vast difference? No, you are right. But Gen 2 is actually worse on the performance vs. Gen 1 CX-5. +2 hp and a bit lower to the ground than Gen 1 wasn't enough to compensate on the Gen 2.

Just an FYI, True Car price I was quoted on a 2019 Signature with a MSRP of $38285 was $35717+TTL

yes you are probably right, the "original" target audience that mazda catered to is probably diminishing,
but as Mazda grows as a company they unfortunately have to make some changes to increase their market share.
Yes it would be great to have more performance line ups in their models.
But you know as well as i do, there's no other manufacturer in their segment that can out handle the Mazda, out perform? sure more HP is always great, but they are still on top of their game on handling and styling,
and is the reason why they still attract new buyers regardless of some of the "gimmicky" tech that they do and do not offer.

yes you are probably right, the "original" target audience that mazda catered to is probably diminishing

I don't think it's a diminishing audience, that's why there are tons vocal about it.

That said, they obviously saw a way to grow bigger, hence the new direction. Like it or hate it.

Back