Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

Thanks for the videos.

I would just love that engine, but would of thought it should have twin turbos same as the diesel I have.
Unfortunately Mazda's push upmarket isn't convincing enough for me, I really don't like the tablet type 7" screen, for me it should be bigger and built in. Audi Q3 have ditched the on dash screen now and built it into the dash.

It also for me (for an upmarket push) should have extra gears, at least one more to give greater mpg returns on highways. And the dash while it looks ok isn't to my eyes an improvement on my 2015 car.

I don't think the UK will see it, as we don't even get the 2.5 na version offered.

Unfortunately Mazda's push upmarket isn't convincing enough for me, I really don't like the tablet type 7" screen, for me it should be bigger and built in. Audi Q3 have ditched the on dash screen now and built it into the dash.

But Their whole line up q5 q7 all Have tablet style navigation. Matter of fact I think all luxury car brands have this.
Sure the new Q3 has it built in but I guess its a matter or preference and taste.

Last edited:
Came to say this. Uh...it's ******* winter?

Yeah, but why stage it there? They did not randomly choose BC in December. They did it to showcase specific attributes of the CX-5.

Overall, these "opinion' pieces are very positive, with one guy saying that the CX-5 handles like an X1 and is like 95% of the 48K RDX. I think they have a winner and could see the increasing sales 20%.

Overall, these "opinion' pieces are very positive, with one guy saying that the CX-5 handles like an X1 and is like 95% of the 48K RDX. I think they have a winner and could see the increasing sales 20%.

95% of RDX?? That's an insult. The RDX has a significant "dead pedal affect", the interior is a cluttered mess and the engine sounds like crap. There's nothing about the RDX that's better then the CX-5 Sig IMHO.

I can confirm it does, though it says "Sig" and is barely noticeable.

Edited to add that badge says "Sg" not "Sig".

yup located below the Cx-5 badge on the rear left side trunk area

Not sure what they were going for when they used "Sg" to identify the Signature model. It's on a plaque with the AWD. I hardly noticed it when I picked up my Signature the end of Nov and very discrete. Maybe SGT (for SignatureTurbo) would have been better. GT-R sounds so much nicer than Sg but love the most everything about the Signature model.
20181206_230019.jpg

95% of RDX?? That's an insult. The RDX has a significant "dead pedal affect", the interior is a cluttered mess and the engine sounds like crap. There's nothing about the RDX that's better then the CX-5 Sig IMHO.

Yeah, his words not mine. I absolutely hate the Honda info system. As bad as the Mazda system is (and I don't think it is that bad), the Honda/Acura system is 100X worse.

Not sure what they were going for when they used "Sg" to identify the Signature model. It's on a plaque with the AWD. I hardly noticed it when I picked up my Signature the end of Nov and very discrete. Maybe SGT (for SignatureTurbo) would have been better. GT-R sounds so much nicer than Sg but love the most everything about the Signature model.
View attachment 220009
How odd.

But Their whole line up q5 q7 all Have tablet style navigation. Matter of fact I think all luxury car brands have this.
Sure the new Q3 has it built in but I guess it*s a matter or preference and taste.

And talking about screen size the mazda3 in the uk gets a 8.8"
And the x engine. This spring.

That's BS. Not all CX-5's are created equal. What Mazda's thrown at the CX-5 Sig. trim can go toe to toe with the upper trims of Q5, RDX, X3, etc. Materials, features, driver aids, performance, handling, etc, etc. The only thing lacking is the $10k higher price tag and the brand perception.

I see no reason why Mazda can't use trim level to differentiate "luxury" from the rest of the pack. Ideally they'd create a new brand like Infinity, Acura, etc but they're way too small.

It remains to be seen if consumers will perceive the Sig trim as luxury/performance at excellent value relative to the competition or an overpriced CX-5.

let*s just ignore digital dash tech, pano roofs and no car play. Carry on.

I can't wait for someone to add intake, downpipe, and tune to the new 2.5T and see if they can get 325 HP out of it on 93. With better wheels/tires you would have a cuv that would surprise most Q5, X3, GLC300 and Fpace owners. And all for $20K less. Of course there are still SQ5, X3M, GLC AMG, and Fpace SC that would be faster, but at much higher cost.

And.......void your warranty.

Back