Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
Cx5 t, time vs speed

Road and track used to run a 0 to 100 speed checks on some new models. I'm not hung up on the 0 to 60 mph time but, would like to see a 40 to 80mph times which are useful for passing. I hope we can get that kind of data on the new 2.5T. Ed Hayes

I test drove both a GT-R and Signature CX-5 today. My $.02 worth:

+ The 2.5T augments the already fun to drive handling with some real spirited performance. There's plenty of torque available for any driving situation. I believe the real 0-60 numbers will be in the 6's. It was way faster then my '16 2.5 CX-5
+ I did not notice any turbo lag or dead pedal affect.
+ The Signature trim turns this into a fully loaded "luxury" SUV. It doesn't seem to lack anything that the other luxury SUV's have in their top trim packages. (except the price tag)
+ The Caturra brown leather will go with any exterior color. It's almost black.
+ The GT-R is nice but the Signature is worth the extra cost IMHO.

- The infotainment system is still not that great. NAV is still pretty primitive but at least AP/AA are finally available.
- MPG was averaging 13.5 but I was really driving it aggressively.
- It really needs a larger gas tank. Unless you baby it, you'll be living at gas stations.

I almost took the Signature home but negotiations are at a stalemate.

Ugh, I was hoping the brown leather would be lighter. So sick of black/dark interiors. Sad I may have to pass on the Signature for a GTR.

Living at the gas station? Even at 22 mpg, youre getting 330 miles per tank. Every car Ive owned gets me 300-400 miles per fill up, so that doesnt seem out of the ordinary.

I was also at the dealer today and drove a GTR (in Canada they aren't calling it a GTR far as I can tell), sat in a Signature and drove a regular GT back to back with the GTR. The regular GT is laughably slow compared to the GTR - it's fine as a daily driver but any enthusiast or anyone who likes gusto will want to the turbo. It was my first time driving the 2G CX-5 and it's an impressively quiet car and the interior is very nice - definitely in the realm of a luxury car. The Signature trim is nice but not actually significantly nicer than the GTR - in Canada it's $1,500 more and it's really just the nicer leather and more LED lights and I think I'd get the GTR instead.

OTOH I then went over to the Acura dealer and gave an RDX the gears. That thing is definitely a better car than the CX-5 - the A-Spec trim is about $10K more after taxes than a Signature and I'd say people who have the money should spring for it. Great backseat, great motor - the motor is a class ahead of the GTR.

The RDX has an estimated 0-60 of 6s and easily felt like it while I'd say the CX-5 is a mid/high 6 car.

All that said, can't go wrong with either car at their respective price points. I think Mazda will sell these at a good clip.

Hello ebin. So you drove a GTR and signature in Vancouver? My local dealer in Ontario was just telling me a few days ago that they were not expected for 1-2 months...

Can you please confirm this for me? What dealer did you go to? Thanks!

I was also at the dealer today and drove a GTR (in Canada they aren't calling it a GTR far as I can tell), sat in a Signature and drove a regular GT back to back with the GTR. The regular GT is laughably slow compared to the GTR - it's fine as a daily driver but any enthusiast or anyone who likes gusto will want to the turbo. It was my first time driving the 2G CX-5 and it's an impressively quiet car and the interior is very nice - definitely in the realm of a luxury car. The Signature trim is nice but not actually significantly nicer than the GTR - in Canada it's $1,500 more and it's really just the nicer leather and more LED lights and I think I'd get the GTR instead.

OTOH I then went over to the Acura dealer and gave an RDX the gears. That thing is definitely a better car than the CX-5 - the A-Spec trim is about $10K more after taxes than a Signature and I'd say people who have the money should spring for it. Great backseat, great motor - the motor is a class ahead of the GTR.

The RDX has an estimated 0-60 of 6s and easily felt like it while I'd say the CX-5 is a mid/high 6 car.

All that said, can't go wrong with either car at their respective price points. I think Mazda will sell these at a good clip.

Acura rdx:
0-60mph in
6.6s car and driver
Motortrend 7.1s
Consumer reports:7.0s.

I test drove both a GT-R and Signature CX-5 today. My $.02 worth:

+ The 2.5T augments the already fun to drive handling with some real spirited performance. There's plenty of torque available for any driving situation. I believe the real 0-60 numbers will be in the 6's. It was way faster then my '16 2.5 CX-5
+ I did not notice any turbo lag or dead pedal affect.
+ The Signature trim turns this into a fully loaded "luxury" SUV. It doesn't seem to lack anything that the other luxury SUV's have in their top trim packages. (except the price tag)
+ The Caturra brown leather will go with any exterior color. It's almost black.
+ The GT-R is nice but the Signature is worth the extra cost IMHO.

- The infotainment system is still not that great. NAV is still pretty primitive but at least AP/AA are finally available.
- MPG was averaging 13.5 but I was really driving it aggressively.
- It really needs a larger gas tank. Unless you baby it, you'll be living at gas stations.

I almost took the Signature home but negotiations are at a stalemate.

Thanks for the update. Is the brown similar to what is in the Mazda 6? Good point on the gas tank.I keep thinking they needed to increase the tank size and the wheels and tires for the 2.5T.

Its hard to pay for a loaded RDX when certified AMG GLC 43s are around.

Road and track used to run a 0 to 100 speed checks on some new models. I'm not hung up on the 0 to 60 mph time but, would like to see a 40 to 80mph times which are useful for passing. I hope we can get that kind of data on the new 2.5T. Ed Hayes
I'll let you know because that's what important to me, as well. [emoji106]

I haven*t ordered one of these but my dealer has ordered one in my name! I think that*s what you call a *puppy dog sale*! It*s got the same nappa interior and all the toys but the 184 diesel. I*d rather have the 2.5T.

Ugh, I was hoping the brown leather would be lighter. So sick of black/dark interiors. Sad I may have to pass on the Signature for a GTR.

Living at the gas station? Even at 22 mpg, you*re getting 330 miles per tank. Every car I*ve owned gets me 300-400 miles per fill up, so that doesn*t seem out of the ordinary.

But I don't run the tank bone dry. I usually fill up when my tank is at 1/8-1/4. At a 12 gallon fill and 20-22 MPG that's only a usable range of about 220-240 miles. I personally think it'll be hard to keep MPG decent in this car because there's so much fun torque at the drivers disposal. By contrast the Audi Q5 has a 18.5 gallon tank.

I'll probably take a closer look at a Q5 and RDX before I decide.

But I don't run the tank bone dry. I usually fill up when my tank is at 1/8-1/4. At a 12 gallon fill and 20-22 MPG that's only a usable range of about 220-240 miles. I personally think it'll be hard to keep MPG decent in this car because there's so much fun torque at the drivers disposal. By contrast the Audi Q5 has a 18.5 gallon tank.

The normal Mazda CX-5 add fuel light comes on with 2-3 gallons in reserve. So with a 15.3 gallon tank, you are getting that light with 12 gallons uses. 240-260 miles before fill up while driving around in the city. That is not a lot and only 300 on the highway.

Good luck with your car search!

Last edited:
I sat on the RDX but did not drive it. The seats are nice. Dash board looks too busy. That middle control knob is weird. A report online also expressed same opinion.

Exterior the cx5 still looks better.

I sat on the RDX but did not drive it. The seats are nice. Dash board looks too busy. That middle control knob is weird. A report online also expressed same opinion.

Exterior the cx5 still looks better.

The infotainment system in all Honda vehicles are a pain. Confusing and complicated. I just don't get why things need to be so complicated. I am actually no fan of the Mazda connect system either and prefer the simple archaic system in my 2014 GT.

Yeah I plan to check out a couple used 2018 Q5 under $40k, but it wont have all the features of the CX-5, so the quality and drive will really need to impress me.

I wanted to like the RDX, but they botched the redesign in my view. Especially the busy interior. Mazda is by far the only Japanese brand with a sense of modern style.

Acura design is getting better. The dash looks terrible and unnecessary, but at least the beak is gone. That said, the top trim is still $10k more than the Signature.

Fortunately, I will not be ready to purchase a new CX5 turbo for ~ 2years. Hopefully the interior offering will include a light gray or Parchment. In addition; One hope that after 4+ frustrating years, they will get the infotainment issues sorted out. Ed

Back