Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

Will the 2019 Signature have parking assist? This is where the display shows how close objects are to the front and rear of the vehicle?
That's a nice feature. I've used it on my mom's Cherokee.
But you don't need it with front and rear sensors, x traffic alert and the backup camera. #noneed

Will the 2019 Signature have parking assist? This is where the display shows how close objects are to the front and rear of the vehicle?

The Sig back up camera has a mode where you can get a 360 degree view of the vehicle. (front, back and both sides)

Just drove the Reserve trim tonight. Great vehicle without the turbo lag. I drove the non turbo two days ago for comparison.

The turbo will compliment the Miata ND nicely.

A couple days ago I said "no" and walked away from a '19 Signature purchase negotiation. Last night the dealer called and made one last chance to sweeten the deal and we agreed. They'll find me my first color choice (Sonic Silver) and make sure the port doesn't add those silly $400 roof rails. They gave me a modest MSRP discount and finally gave me what I wanted on my '16 Touring trade in. Mazda will give me $1250 in Trade in and Loyalty incentives.

After test driving an RDX and looking at Q5's it's a no brainer to go with the Signature. The 2.5T's seamless acceleration is so much nicer then the RDX and the quality and features of the Signature interior is at least as good and maybe even better then the highest trim levels from Acura and Audi. (Acura is way too cluttered and Audi's top trim adds too much $'s just to match Mazda's features.) BMW's are too tired/fugly looking IMHO. I test drove a 707 HP GC Trackhawk and it's wicked fast at 3.5 0-60 but close to $100k and 13 MPG and it's still just a Jeep. I skipped over Mercedes and not fond of Porche styling. Anything with a CVT rubber band tranny was off the table.

My conclusion is the Signature adds a healthy dose of 2.5T driving fun, comes fully loaded with all the latest driving aids/features, has cleaner styling and competes head on in the luxury SUV segment but at a kindler/gentler price tag. I also think Mazda's reliability will be better in the long run. (my '16 has been perfect). I think Mazda will do quite well with this trim.

Congratulations! Thanks for providing those comparisons between the RDX, Q5, and CX-5.

It's expensive for a Mazda but better value then it's competition.

People always seem to balk whenever they ask me what I paid for my CX-9. That's exactly what I tell them.

I'm trying to decide between a GTR and the Sig cars without yet looking on a car lot. Knowing differences will help me decide where to travel to take a further look.
When you run a comparison on Mazdas website they show as the same car on the built-in items.
The features list is more detailed and tells me this- Sig has grey silver wheels, GTR has brilliant silver; Sig has wood trim, GTR has none; Sig has brown lthr, GTR has other two colors and not same finish, etc.; Sig has badging, GTR none

What are the other differences? The MSRP is 2,020 diff between them before any additions. What do I get for ~ $2,000?
Help and thanks!

What are the other differences? The MSRP is 2,020 diff between them before any additions. What do I get for ~ $2,000?
Help and thanks!

Unique to the Signature:
Darker wheels
Signature Badge
Black headliner
Bright silver finish on door switch panel, glove box and power seat switch
Auto-dimming rearview frameless mirror w/Homelink
Front & Rear foot illumination with ambient lighting
Genuine layered wood trim
LED cargo room lamp, glove box illumination, room lamp and visor vanity mirror
illumination
Unique overhead console and steering wheel
360 view monitor
Front and rear parking sensor
Caturra Brown Nappa Leather-trimmed seats

I'm trying to decide between a GTR and the Sig cars without yet looking on a car lot. Knowing differences will help me decide where to travel to take a further look.
When you run a comparison on Mazdas website they show as the same car on the built-in items.
The features list is more detailed and tells me this- Sig has grey silver wheels, GTR has brilliant silver; Sig has wood trim, GTR has none; Sig has brown lthr, GTR has other two colors and not same finish, etc.; Sig has badging, GTR none

Help and thanks!

IMHO the most substantive difference was the Nappa leather seats. (wifey and I both thought they were nicer/more comfortable). The other nice feature is the 360 degree view monitor with front and rear parking sensors. Other then that, it's mostly "fluff" and 'bling bling" like fancier interior trim and lighting.

I was also at the dealer today and drove a GTR (in Canada they aren't calling it a GTR far as I can tell), sat in a Signature and drove a regular GT back to back with the GTR. The regular GT is laughably slow compared to the GTR - it's fine as a daily driver but any enthusiast or anyone who likes gusto will want to the turbo. It was my first time driving the 2G CX-5 and it's an impressively quiet car and the interior is very nice - definitely in the realm of a luxury car. The Signature trim is nice but not actually significantly nicer than the GTR - in Canada it's $1,500 more and it's really just the nicer leather and more LED lights and I think I'd get the GTR instead.

OTOH I then went over to the Acura dealer and gave an RDX the gears. That thing is definitely a better car than the CX-5 - the A-Spec trim is about $10K more after taxes than a Signature and I'd say people who have the money should spring for it. Great backseat, great motor - the motor is a class ahead of the GTR.

The RDX has an estimated 0-60 of 6s and easily felt like it while I'd say the CX-5 is a mid/high 6 car.

All that said, can't go wrong with either car at their respective price points. I think Mazda will sell these at a good clip.

Here you go.

https://youtu.be/Cp2ErgMdAtk

Back