Oil level during break-in

I have to wonder how many versions of the CX-5 oil pan are out there? I've done 8 oil changes in my garage and none ever exceeded that 85% mark with 5 quarts. I'll have to look more closely at mark on existing level and after next change. Far from a confident full though and comfortable at 85% of full but probably less. I have a Fumoto valve as well so that should keep some extra oil in the pan as well.

I have to wonder how many versions of the CX-5 oil pan are out there? I've done 8 oil changes in my garage and none ever exceeded that 85% mark with 5 quarts. I'll have to look more closely at mark on existing level and after next change. Far from a confident full though and comfortable at 85% of full but probably less. I have a Fumoto valve as well so that should keep some extra oil in the pan as well.

I wouldn't say there are many versions, I'd say maybe out of tolerance. My stepdaughter's '14 oil level is actually over the full mark at 5 quarts, my '14 was maybe a 32nd under the full mark. I often thought maybe it was a dipstick thing or maybe the dipstick tube was in too far or not long enough. I don't believe their quality control is quite up to Japanese legend... Tolerances are all over the place. Take a look at their MV oil filter, I've had a few of them actually drip after a few thousand miles- never had that with any oil filter, and as I've said before, the metal stamping of the exterior isn't consistent where you attach an oil filter wrench.

Most likely your oil level is fine. Check your oil level repeatly for every several hundred miles driven to make sure the oil level is at the same level on the dipstick.

Like Kedis82ZE8 said earlier, Mazda*s dipstick is unlike any other cars. At factory quoted capacities it will not register at the *Full* mark on dipstick. For 2.5L if you want the oil level to reach the *Full* mark during the oil change, it requires about 5.3 quarts instead of specified 4.8 quarts of the fresh oil.

In addition, Mazda seems to *under-fill* many fluids from factory such as engine oil*engine coolant*rear differential oil*and even the ATF. I*d checked several brand new CX-5*s at my Mazda dealer on engine oil level after I found my brand new CX-5 was at * between *Full* and *Low* marks, and all of them were at the same level below the *Full* mark!

I use 5 quarts and it is good, though I noticed on my last change I only drained a bit over 4 quarts, so my CX-5 ate up a quart of 0w20 between changes. I suspect that has mostly to do with my driving style and conditions though. So I am monitoring more closely now. I may try 5w30 instead as that may reduce the oil loss.

That said, Mazda seems to indicate that between the dipstick hole markers is fine, same with coolant being between the low and full marks on the reservoir. Though obviously you want it closer to the Full marks, it's ok if it's not completely at the full mark. ATF on the other hand, has a very specific mark the fluid has to be at, and I agree, mine was underfilled and when I drained 3.5 qts, it took 3.7 qts to fill and place correctly on the line.

Last edited:
I can't remember.... have you been using the Mazda moly?

Granted I am still at around 50K miles and haven't measure but my dipstick checks are consistently the same and I am not easy on rig either. Mine has had a steady diet of moly except for some brief periods where the dealer changed oil for warranty work. My leak/weeps aren't forgotten but currently they do not cause measurable loss unless actually AT. I need to check that again. The winter brings out the leak/weep.

A post a few up.. wonder if the dipstick is the same length on newer models?

I use 5 quarts and it is good, though I noticed on my last change I only drained a bit over 4 quarts, so my CX-5 ate up a quart of 0w20 between changes. I suspect that has mostly to do with my driving style and conditions though. So I am monitoring more closely now. I may try 5w30 instead as that may reduce the oil loss.

That said, Mazda seems to indicate that between the dipstick hole markers is fine. ATF on the other hand, has a very specific mark the fluid has to be at, and I agree, mine was underfilled.

I can't remember.... have you been using the Mazda moly?

No. I'm currently using Castrol Edge, which is what the dealer had been using for years before I started my own changes. Although I have had oil loss, it's given me 2 great UOA's so far. I may try the Mazda Moly and see if that's better on the oil loss front, but the price of using the Moly oil is substantially higher, whereas I can get a 5 qt. jug of this Castrol Edge at Walmart from between $19-$25. I have not found cheap Moly oil locally, and online prices have to add on shipping. It's good oil, but I'm unconvinced it's "double the price good".

I'm doing like 90% city driving these days, lot of stop and go, sometimes short trips. I don't think I'm helping matters much doing that.

Last edited:
Some have said trying 5w30 oil instead. I may give it a go if my next change is also a quart down. I didn't notice on the first 2 changes I did as I didn't think to check, so I don't know if the last change was a one off or if I am consistently down a quart.

Modern engine will in fact burn some oil as one thing thats been done to help improve efficiency is too reduce friction by loosening the rings and so on. Also oil is used to cool the bottom of the pistons ect. So seeing some loss is ok just keep an eye on it. Usually the manufacturers have a threshold thats acceptable which would probably seem really high to us. Like 1 qt per 1000 miles is one Ive heard. I am not sure what it is for Mazda though.

I havent seen much consumption at all on our CX-5 but its not high mileage yet. Also on the previous 2 Fords and VWs I didnt really see much there either.

I usually like to keep a quart of whatever the car takes on hand and Ive had to add so little usually ended up still having some after selling that car on....

IMO: Frankly... if one never lets an engine operate low on oil... even if it is puking it out ... you can run a "LONG" time. Obviously you won't win any environmental awards but my '84 Mitsubishi taught me how far one can stretch a rig with a "major" oil consumption issue.

I checked my oil level with 30 miles on my CX-5, it was right at the full mark.
Its possible that your Mazda dealer did a good job topping off the engine oil during new car pre-delivery inspection.

I havent seen much consumption at all on our CX-5 but its not high mileage yet. Also on the previous 2 Fords and VWs I didnt really see much there either.

I usually like to keep a quart of whatever the car takes on hand and Ive had to add so little usually ended up still having some after selling that car on....
A few vehicles I bought new mostly dont burn any oil during early days. The only exception is my 2001.5 VW Passat GLX 2.8L V6. It burns a quart of oil for every 3K miles when new, and burns a quart of oil for 1K miles after 10K miles! My 1998 Honda CR-V with 182,388 miles burns no oil when new, and burns quarts of oil for 5K miles right now.

IMO: Frankly... if one never lets an engine operate low on oil... even if it is puking it out ... you can run a "LONG" time. Obviously you won't win any environmental awards but my '84 Mitsubishi taught me how far one can stretch a rig with a "major" oil consumption issue.
Yeah with a major oil consumption issue on my Passat, the engine runs fine other than the hassle of frequent oil checks and top offs. Strangely theres no smoke can be seen at the tail pipe. But I worry about those expensive catalytic converters which may fail early with too much oil passing through.

That said, Mazda seems to indicate that between the dipstick hole markers is fine, same with coolant being between the low and full marks on the reservoir. Though obviously you want it closer to the Full marks, it's ok if it's not completely at the full mark. ATF on the other hand, has a very specific mark the fluid has to be at, and I agree, mine was underfilled and when I drained 3.5 qts, it took 3.7 qts to fill and place correctly on the line.

I bet some of the oil it "ate" was in the filter, even if you drained the filter into the measurement...

It*s possible that your Mazda dealer did a good job topping off the engine oil during new car pre-delivery inspection.

I think you are right. I changed my oil today, put in 5 quarts of oil and the oil level is now right in the middle of the full and low marks. I think I will buy a quart and top it off. I never ran a car, after an oil change, not at the full mark.

Back