Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oil level during break-in

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

I havenít seen much consumption at all on our CX-5 but itís not high mileage yet. Also on the previous 2 Fords and VWs I didnít really see much there either.

I usually like to keep a quart of whatever the car takes on hand and Iíve had to add so little usually ended up still having some after selling that car on....

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    IMO: Frankly... if one never lets an engine operate low on oil... even if it is puking it out ... you can run a "LONG" time. Obviously you won't win any environmental awards but my '84 Mitsubishi taught me how far one can stretch a rig with a "major" oil consumption issue.
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - Liquid Silver Metallic (04/2014 build-07/2014 delivery) - 45K Miles

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Oil level during break-in

Quote Originally Posted by MyFirstMazda View Post
    I checked my oil level with 30 miles on my CX-5, it was right at the full mark.
    Itís possible that your Mazda dealer did a good job topping off the engine oil during new car pre-delivery inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    I havenít seen much consumption at all on our CX-5 but itís not high mileage yet. Also on the previous 2 Fords and VWs I didnít really see much there either.

I usually like to keep a quart of whatever the car takes on hand and Iíve had to add so little usually ended up still having some after selling that car on....
    A few vehicles I bought new mostly donít burn any oil during early days. The only exception is my 2001.5 VW Passat GLX 2.8L V6. It burns a quart of oil for every 3K miles when new, and burns a quart of oil for 1K miles after 10K miles! My 1998 Honda CR-V with 182,388 miles burns no oil when new, and burns Ĺ quarts of oil for 5K miles right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
    IMO: Frankly... if one never lets an engine operate low on oil... even if it is puking it out ... you can run a "LONG" time. Obviously you won't win any environmental awards but my '84 Mitsubishi taught me how far one can stretch a rig with a "major" oil consumption issue.
    Yeah with a major oil consumption issue on my Passat, the engine runs fine other than the hassle of frequent oil checks and top offs. Strangely thereís no smoke can be seen at the tail pipe. But I worry about those expensive catalytic converters which may fail early with too much oil passing through.

Registered Member

Red 2016 CX-5 GT Teck Isense

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    I use 5 quarts and it is good, though I noticed on my last change I only drained a bit over 4 quarts, so my CX-5 ate up a quart of 0w20 between changes. I suspect that has mostly to do with my driving style and conditions though. So I am monitoring more closely now. I may try 5w30 instead as that may reduce the oil loss.

That said, Mazda seems to indicate that between the dipstick hole markers is fine, same with coolant being between the low and full marks on the reservoir. Though obviously you want it closer to the Full marks, it's ok if it's not completely at the full mark. ATF on the other hand, has a very specific mark the fluid has to be at, and I agree, mine was underfilled and when I drained 3.5 qts, it took 3.7 qts to fill and place correctly on the line.
    I bet some of the oil it "ate" was in the filter, even if you drained the filter into the measurement...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123