Oil level during break-in

Colorado_2018

:
2018 CX5
So I have just over 500 miles on the clock. Checked the oil last night and it's smack began high and low. Now coming from the CRV I'm used to the oil being high. I know I checked the oil when new but I don't think I got a good reading.

Is there any oil consumption during the break in period? Is between high and low normal this early? I don't know the car well enough yet so looking for what everyone else has experienced.

Last edited:
Normal for my 2.5L CX5. Anywhere between add and full is the safe level. My CX5 2.5 oil level is down about 1/8 inch during a 6,000 mile oil change interval. Ed

Thats probably about right. I wouldnt worry about it at this point unless it gets below min.

So I have just over 500 miles on the clock. Checked the oil last night and it's smack began high and low. Now coming from the CRV I'm used to the oil being high. I know I checked the oil when new but I don't think I got a good reading.

Is there any oil consumption during the break in period? Is between high and low normal this early? I don't know the car well enough yet so looking for what everyone else has experienced.

1/2 qt in 500 miles doesn't seem right to me, did you wait about 10 minutes after shutting off the engine before checking the dipstick and was the vehicle on level ground both times?

Last edited:
1/2 qt in 500 miles doesn't seem right to me, did you wait about 10 minutes after shutting off the engine before checking the dipstick and was the vehicle on level ground both times?

this is assuming it was at max when delivered
I suspect dealer prep would not top it off to the full line
keep an eye on it of course, but I thinks its OK based on the level you indicate it is at

I wouldn't worry about it. Just my experience but the Mazda dipstick is unlike any car I have ever had. At factory quoted capacities it will not register at the full mark on dipstick. I thought the same thing on my '15 when I first checked oil.

Mine was at the min level as received. Didn*t budge at all up to the first oil change.

New cars ive owned use oil as everytbing seats. Thry stopped after 500 to 1k miles.

I noticed a little loss during the first 1000 miles. Now with 21,000 it doesn't move. It's possible a new engine will use some oil until everything seats.
As someone else mentioned most owners don't check the oil level at delivery (I know I didn't) so it's hard to tell if you're using any or they just didn't fill it to the max level.

I noticed a little loss during the first 1000 miles. Now with 21,000 it doesn't move. It's possible a new engine will use some oil until everything seats.
As someone else mentioned most owners don't check the oil level at delivery (I know I didn't) so it's hard to tell if you're using any or they just didn't fill it to the max level.

I did on my 370z and z06. Z06 used more. Tail pipes blacked. Stopped at 500ish mi

What was the engine temp when you checked the oil level?

The dipstick range represents the desired level of the warm oil,with the engine after it has been warmed up, and shut down for at least 10 minutes. As per owners manual.(2thumbs)

Most likely your oil level is fine. Check your oil level repeatly for every several hundred miles driven to make sure the oil level is at the same level on the dipstick.

Like Kedis82ZE8 said earlier, Mazdas dipstick is unlike any other cars. At factory quoted capacities it will not register at the Full mark on dipstick. For 2.5L if you want the oil level to reach the Full mark during the oil change, it requires about 5.3 quarts instead of specified 4.8 quarts of the fresh oil.

In addition, Mazda seems to under-fill many fluids from factory such as engine oil、engine coolant、rear differential oil、and even the ATF. Id checked several brand new CX-5s at my Mazda dealer on engine oil level after I found my brand new CX-5 was at ⅔ between Full and Low marks, and all of them were at the same level below the Full mark!

What was the engine temp when you checked the oil level?

The dipstick range represents the desired level of the warm oil,with the engine after it has been warmed up, and shut down for at least 10 minutes. As per owners manual.(2thumbs)

I've checked it several times. Once about 10 minutes after shutdown, once later that night and once again in the morning. Checked several times since. When the engine is cold the mark may be slightly higher. I did see the oil check procedure in the manual - I think I've read that thing about 10 times now :)

Most likely your oil level is fine. Check your oil level repeatly for every several hundred miles driven to make sure the oil level is at the same level on the dipstick.

Like Kedis82ZE8 said earlier, Mazda*s dipstick is unlike any other cars. At factory quoted capacities it will not register at the *Full* mark on dipstick. For 2.5L if you want the oil level to reach the *Full* mark during the oil change, it requires about 5.3 quarts instead of specified 4.8 quarts of the fresh oil.

In addition, Mazda seems to *under-fill* many fluids from factory such as engine oil*engine coolant*rear differential oil*and even the ATF. I*d checked several brand new CX-5*s at my Mazda dealer on engine oil level after I found my brand new CX-5 was at * between *Full* and *Low* marks, and all of them were at the same level below the *Full* mark!

The dealer let you run around their lot and check oil??

Like Kedis82ZE8 said earlier, Mazda*s dipstick is unlike any other cars. At factory quoted capacities it will not register at the *Full* mark on dipstick. For 2.5L if you want the oil level to reach the *Full* mark during the oil change, it requires about 5.3 quarts instead of specified 4.8 quarts of the fresh oil.

In addition, Mazda seems to *under-fill* many fluids from factory such as engine oil*engine coolant*rear differential oil*and even the ATF. I*d checked several brand new CX-5*s at my Mazda dealer on engine oil level after I found my brand new CX-5 was at * between *Full* and *Low* marks, and all of them were at the same level below the *Full* mark!

Funny thing you mentioning the 5.3 mark. When I've changed oil in the past on my 2016, a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil put me right at the full mark. I've just had my oil pan replaced and have just replaced the oil and filter (didn't like what they had put in) and now I'm finding the oil level lower than it was with a 5 quart replacement, tells me the new oil pan is a tad bigger than the old one, also has a 17mm bolt for a drain plug now instead of the original hex plug. An extra .3 of a quart would probably put me at the full mark. Oh, and I really, really, really hate the Mexican oil filters. The body stampings are inconsistent as hell. Sometimes an oil filter wrench will fit, sometimes it won't.

Last edited:
I drop in 5 quarts on changes and IIRC it gets me to like 85% of the full mark. When I first got my CX-5 I would add to full but settled on 5 quarts.

When our new 2018 was delivered the oil was between the full and low dot on the stick, so I guess they do not come from the factory filled to the top dot.

The dealer let you run around their lot and check oil??
Because I know the GM well, and I told him at the time when I was picking up our CX-5 just unloaded from truck that the oil level is low and Id like to verify if other brand-new CX-5s are having the same oil level. Of course I didnt know Mazda uses different definition on oil capacity and Full mark on dipstick from everybody else! I also checked the oil level on those new CX-5s sitting on the showroom floor from time to time, the result is always the same - at ⅔ between Full and Low marks on the dipstick.

BTW, the engine coolant level is also always below the F mark in the reservoir among all of these brand new CX-5s Ive checked.

Funny thing you mentioning the 5.3 mark. When I've changed oil in the past on my 2016, a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil put me right at the full mark. I've just had my oil pan replaced and have just replaced the oil and filter (didn't like what they had put in) and now I'm finding the oil level lower than it was with a 5 quart replacement, tells me the new oil pan is a tad bigger than the old one, also has a 17mm bolt for a drain plug now instead of the original hex plug. An extra .3 of a quart would probably put me at the full mark. Oh, and I really, really, really hate the Mexican oil filters. The body stampings are inconsistent as hell. Sometimes an oil filter wrench will fit, sometimes it won't.
I think your experience of oil capacity is different from most CX-5 owners who is DIY on oil change. From this long thread CX-5 Oil Change with Filter almost every member reported the oil level is still below *Full* mark even with 5 quarts of fresh oil refill which is 0.2 quarts more than specified capacity. My personal experience is also the same, the oil level is at about * between *Full* and *Low* marks of dipstick with 5 quarts of fresh oil.

I originally thought you may have Fumoto valve which prevents a complete drain of old oil in the pan. But apparently you didn*t from your description. Added that the drain plug on your new oil pan is 17mm bolt instead of usual 8mm Allen head, I believe your dealer seems to have screwed something up during your oil pan replacement.

As the inconsistent quality on Mazda*s Mexician OEM oil filter, I guess I wouldn't use any *Value* line maintenance parts. I definitely would get Thai OEM oil filter which I*d made by Denso and looks like having good quality, after I use up my 20+ Japanese Tokyo Roki OEM filters.

Last edited:
I think your experience of oil capacity is different from most CX-5 owners who is DIY on oil change. From this long thread CX-5 Oil Change with Filter almost every member reported the oil level is still below *Full* mark even with 5 quarts of fresh oil refill which is 0.2 quarts more than specified capacity. My personal experience is also the same, the oil level is at about * between *Full* and *Low* marks of dipstick with 5 quarts of fresh oil.

I originally thought you may have Fumoto valve which prevents a complete drain of old oil in the pan. But apparently you didn*t from your description. Added that the drain plug on your new oil pan is 17mm bolt instead of usual 8mm Allen head, I believe your dealer seems to have screwed something up during your oil pan replacement.

As the inconsistent quality on Mazda*s Mexician OEM oil filter, I guess I wouldn't use any *Value* line maintenance parts. I definitely would get Thai OEM oil filter which I*d made by Denso and looks like having good quality, after I use up my 20+ Japanese Tokyo Roki PRM filters.

Not me. Mine is always at or slightly above the top hole using 5 quarts.

Back