BLACK Interior

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
I was looking at the 2019 CX5 T this morning on the website and was really disappointed with the interior color options for the turbo versions. I don't particularly like a Black interior because it seems more closed-in, dark. and hot here in FL. I now have a 2014 Touring with soul red and light grey interior. The competition like the ACURA RDX & THE BMW X3 all offer 3 to 4 different interior colors for each exterior colors. If MAZDA wants to move up with the next tier then they better get their color offerings rethought. Ed

I was looking at the 2019 CX5 T this morning on the website and was really disappointed with the interior color options for the turbo versions. I don't particularly like a Black interior because it seems more closed-in, dark. and hot here in FL. I now have a 2014 Touring with soul red and light grey interior. The competition like the ACURA RDX & THE BMW X3 all offer 3 to 4 different interior colors for each exterior colors. If MAZDA wants to move up with the next tier then they better get their color offerings rethought. Ed
Totally agree and Ive been complaining lack of color choice on interior and the totally black interior many times for CX-5. I believe new CX-5 2.5T Signature will have black/dark roof liner which would make the thing worse!

BYW, light gray interior is my preferred color for my Sonic Silver, but theres no gray interior for any Mazda vehicles.

I would have loved a light gray interior with my liquid silver.I still don't "get" Mazda's thinking regarding color choices and cost cutting on the smaller items ( lack of : glove box light,lighted window switches,courtesy lights at the bottom of the door or footwells).But they sure as hell can offer multihundred dollar rebates of different kinds.If Mazda wants to sell some damm cars then offer more damm choice.Probably get more women buyers if they offered colors the others do.I know this is dead horse category comments but still irks me sometimes.Rant over.

erhayes, did you go aftermarket leather to get gray interior or what? Thanks, Jmaz

I would have loved a light gray interior with my liquid silver.I still don't "get" Mazda's thinking regarding color choices and cost cutting on the smaller items ( lack of : glove box light,lighted window switches,courtesy lights at the bottom of the door or footwells).But they sure as hell can offer multihundred dollar rebates of different kinds.If Mazda wants to sell some damm cars then offer more damm choice.Probably get more women buyers if they offered colors the others do.I know this is dead horse category comments but still irks me sometimes.Rant over.

erhayes, did you go aftermarket leather to get gray interior or what? Thanks, Jmaz

I agree and it is not consistent. You can get the Mazda 6 in Silver with the Parchment interior - in both regular and in Nappa leather for the Signature model. But this option is not available in any other model.

I have never heard of CX5 interior in grey, just black or tan. (omg)

You are going to have to take some pictures, or perhaps yours is black.(kiss)

The 17 and 18 CX-5 offers Parchment interior.

It is more of a white with a grayish hue as opposed to tan.

It's in my 18 CX-5. I love it and am so happy that I was finally able to get away from that drab looking tan or black.

I would imagine the Parchment is still available for the 19 MX-5.

Last edited:
Short answer: Adding more exterior and/or interior colors will increase the total no. of CX-5 combinations. I suspect more combinations in addition to the long overseas shipping distance would make it too unwieldy for Mazda to add more colors.

Long answer: There are 131 combinations for the 2019 CX-5. I had some spare time and just out of curiosity I calculated the total number of CX-5 combinations as an exercise in trivia:

Sport: 2 drive trains (fwd/awd), 2 option package choices (none/i-Activsense), 4 exterior/interior colors (red/black, silver/black, eternal blue/black, black/black).

Therefore there are 2 * 2 * 4 = 16 combinations for the Sport trim level.

Touring: 2 drive trains (fwd/awd), 2 option package choices (none/Preferred equipment), 12 exterior/interior colors (red/beige, red/black, grey/beige, grey/black, silver/black, eternal blue/black, deep blue/beige, deep blue/black, black/beige, black/black, white/beige, white/black).

Therefore there are 2 * 2 * 12 = 48 combinations for the Touring trim level.

Grand Touring: 2 drive trains (fwd/awd), 2 option package choices (none/Premium), 12 exterior/interior colors (red/beige, red/black, grey/beige, grey/black, silver/black, eternal blue/black, deep blue/beige, deep blue/black, black/beige, black/black, white/beige, white/black).

Therefore there are 2 * 2 * 12 = 48 combinations for the Grand Touring trim level.

Grand Touring Reserve: 1 drive train (awd), 12 exterior/interior colors (red/beige, red/black, grey/beige, grey/black, silver/black, eternal blue/black, deep blue/beige, deep blue/black, black/beige, black/black, white/beige, white/black).

Therefore there are 1 * 12 = 12 combinations for the Grand Touring Reserve trim level.

Signature: 1 drive train (awd), 7 exterior/interior colors (red/black, grey/black, silver/black, eternal blue/black, deep blue/black, black/black, white/black).

Therefore there are 1 * 7 = 7 combinations for the Signature trim level.

Therefore there are 16 (S) + 48 (T)+ 48 (GT) + 12 (GTR) + 7 (Sig) = 131 grand total combinations for the 2019 CX-5.

When you order a CX-5, your order is not sent to the assembly plant in Japan because its too far away. Instead you wait for a CX-5 to be driven off a cargo ship that matches the model year, trim level, drive train, option packages, and exterior/interior color that you selected.

Adding more color combinations could make it unwieldy for a smaller auto maker like Mazda. Im not a automotive production expert though. Because of the long overseas shipping distance, it would mean longer wait times if you want to wait for the dealer to get you exactly what you order. The 2019 CX-5 has 1-2 interior colors per exterior color. You can do the math like I did above and see what happens to the total no. of combinations by offering 3-4 interior colors for each exterior color instead of 1-2. Auto makers know that people are impatient for their new car to arrive and wont like longer waits.

If BMW and Acura are able to offer more color combinations for the X3 and RDX, it might be because both cars are assembled here in the U.S. unlike the CX-5.

Back