VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas

Thread: Help Me Deal With This 2018 Mazda 3 Lemon

Registered Member

2018 Mazda3 Touring 2.5L

Red face Help Me Deal With This 2018 Mazda 3 Lemon

Bought a brand new 2018 Mazda 3 Touring 2.5L on Friday November 16, 2018. It had about 10 miles on the odometer as I drove it home (about 17 miles). Sat there comfortably garaged until Sunday Nov 18 and was set to go out to visit family about 7 miles away. Started it up and instantly noticed check engine light (engine system malfunction) stayed on, but went off driving to my destination with no noticeable performance issues. Reached destination, and after 1 hour, was time to depart and started the car and now 4 lights were illuminated with the engine running. Looking up the symbols, there were actually 5 warning guidances: the engine system malfunction, DSC malfunction, TPMS system malfunction, and 2 SCBS malfunction warnings. I turned the engine off and on, but all these lights remained on. I looked under the hood and almost burned my finger as the engine was super-hot. I let it rest for another Ĺ hour, turned engine on but all lights remained on. Tried to see how the car would run and realized the engine was not firing properly, and the car was not drivable. As it was a Sunday, I decided to leave the car where it was until the following day and call Mazda to arrange a tow to the nearest Mazda dealer.

On Monday morning, I called Mazda telling them this brand new Mazda 3 with 34 miles on it was currently undriveable. After waiting over 2 hours, the tow truck finally came and brought me to the nearest dealership (not the one I purchased the car from) at 12:30pm. They told me they would need to perform a diagnostic and not to expect it completed that day. To add salt to the wound, they said there were no available loaners, and no shuttle service to leave the dealer. So I had to taxi my way out of there. The rest of Monday and Tuesday my calls returned the information that they have examined the vehicle, and all the wiring and they still have not figured out the problem and solution. On Wednesday morning, I went to pick up a loaner car and they indicated they have ordered a new control unit (ecm / pcm ?) that should arrive next Monday, and that they hoped that would solve the problem.

So today itís Friday, November 23rd, now and I am wondering, should I be stuck with this lemon?

Some questions for you all:

Assuming they are ultimately able to fix this new car, what experience do you have to share about negotiating strategies for receiving compensation: lifetime free oil change? Significant extension of warranty? Other?

This has been extremely frustrating as you can imagine, and my Mazda customer experience may have been permanently tarnished.

Do I have any options to ask for a new vehicle to replace this one even if they are able to fix? I bought this car as a brand new one, but I canít even consider it a new car anymore as I had it for only a few days and itís spent more time in the shop and with the mechanic/technician who has been picking and poking at it inside and out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

17 Mazda 6 GT

That definitely sucks. Problem is though, it's not typical of the product or the industry to see something like this happen.
    I strongly suspect this is a one off problem, and if they can fix it, you'll probably be fine.
    The damage sustained is in the emotional connection with the car, more so than just the mechanical problem.
    Like you, if it were me, I'd always have this incident in the back of my mind when driving the car, even years down the line.
    I don't know anything about the U.S lemon law, but I'm guessing one incident will not qualify you for a return/refund.
    As for compensation, absolutely ask for stuff. At least ask for your money back that you spent on the taxi.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman12 View Post
    That definitely sucks. Problem is though, it's not typical of the product or the industry to see something like this happen.
    I strongly suspect this is a one off problem, and if they can fix it, you'll probably be fine.
    The damage sustained is in the emotional connection with the car, more so than just the mechanical problem.
    Like you, if it were me, I'd always have this incident in the back of my mind when driving the car, even years down the line.
    I don't know anything about the U.S lemon law, but I'm guessing one incident will not qualify you for a return/refund.
    As for compensation, absolutely ask for stuff. At least ask for your money back that you spent on the taxi.
    Agree on all counts. I think that for the Lemon Law to take effect, the dealer has to attempt to fix the issue at least 3 times, without resolution. I believe the rules vary from state to state though.

Definitely fight for compensation on the taxi you had to take and the hardships you had to endure. You could probably squeeze them for 3-5 free oil changes, maybe a free major service.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Can I ask why you did not take it back to the dealer you purchased it from?

Registered Member

2018 Mazda3 Touring 2.5L

I specifically wanted a new car with 15 or less miles on the odometer because I want it to be a truly new car, new car smell, broken in by me. Didn't want a car that was sitting in the lot for awhile, test driven by many folks, used as a loaner, etc. So this Will be in the back of my mind -- just destroying all the great vibes of having that spanking new vehicle.

Registered Member

2018 Mazda3 Touring 2.5L

The Mazda 24/7 roadside assistance stipulated that I could get towed to the nearest Mazda service facility. I was at a family member's residence and where I was towed was closer than the Mazda facility that sold me the car. In retrospect, the Mazda folks told me I could have towed it to my dealer (which would have been 14 miles away) vs where I ended up (6 miles away).

2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed

It could be something as simple as a loose ground connection or a failing battery. Weird things can happen when electrical power is intermittent.
    2014 3S GT, Deep Crystal Blue, Eibach Pro-Kit, Enkei PF01s, Koni Sports, Pirelli P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS tires, 225/45/18
    2008 MX-5 Touring (Mazdaspeed CAI, HIDs, Progress/Koni Sports/Racing Beat sways, SST Magnaflow muffler and tips)

Registered Member

2018 Mazda3 Touring 2.5L

Mazda technician checked most of the relevant wiring before ordering the new pcm unit. Let's see if this does the trick...

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

The Mazda 3 is pretty reliable. Sucks to hear about your issues. Seems like a obvious issue. They should be able to get this fixed.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.