key fob battery life

:
2018 Mazda CX-9 GT
i saw an older thread on here in regards the battery life for their key fobs. I picked up a 2018 CX-9 GT mid Feb 2018 this year. last 2 days i've had a message on my info gauge saying battery is low. i called the dealer asking if this was normal, they said they normally last about 1 1/2 - 2 yrs. Anyone have a battery go early on them for these fobs? i haven't tried the extra fob to see if there is any issues, but 9 months seems to suck. my last vehicle was a 2005 Jeep liberty and never had to replace any of the batteries in the keys for the 13 yrs i owned it.

Seems like the one you're using somehow the battery depleted faster than normal.

My 2018 going on full year still working normal. Maybe you have it in your pocket with other keys that keep jamming against the buttons?

i saw an older thread on here in regards the battery life for their key fobs. I picked up a 2018 CX-9 GT mid Feb 2018 this year. last 2 days i've had a message on my info gauge saying battery is low. i called the dealer asking if this was normal, they said they normally last about 1 1/2 - 2 yrs. Anyone have a battery go early on them for these fobs? i haven't tried the extra fob to see if there is any issues, but 9 months seems to suck. my last vehicle was a 2005 Jeep liberty and never had to replace any of the batteries in the keys for the 13 yrs i owned it.

I think 1 - 1.5 years is pretty normal. You may have just had a bum battery to begin with.

But--was your '05 Jeep a proximity key? Those fobs deplete much faster. A normal fob with a physical key only transmits a signal when you push a button on the fob. The proximity key is constantly communicating with the car when the ignition is on; that's how the car knows that "Key not detected" if you get out of the car while it's running.

I just replaced my keyfob battery. My car is a 2017 Signature. Car was first registered in early 2017.
It was a bit surprising that the battery went out so quickly.

I put a higher capacity battery (CR 2032) so hopefully this one will last longer.

Mine was good for just under two years before having to replace it.

Batteries are cheap. It takes about 3 minutes to change one...that includes finding the right size screwdriver to pry the case open. I thought my local hardware store was sold out of the right size the day I wanted that battery, but they did have some real cheapos--that one lasted about 9 months. A good Duracel or Everready will be good for a couple of years.

Now, I'm waiting for someone to invent a universal remote...same remote for my Mazda and my Toyota.

for whatever reason, i have not seen this message popup anymore. It only happened twice (both times on same day when running errands) & was thinking maybe it was positioned in a way in my pocket that maybe the system was reading a faint signal. For now i'll live like a rebel & not replace the battery and see what happens. if the message comes up again, i'll replace it

From what I understand, newer keyfobs with proximity sensors use battery life much faster than traditional keyfobs. I have a 2005 mazda 3 and I have yet to replace the keyfob battery... However on our newer Highlander, the battery only lasted 2 years. I've been told that the key always emits(always on), hence you just walk up to your car door and it unlocks when you touch the handle, and you just hit the start button while the fob is in your pocket, it's "always on".

So this sounds kind of normal for newer "smart" key fobs.

This is also a security hazard as well, and @PT, they essentially do have "universal keys"(more like signal relay replicators). The guy on "Ratchets and Wrenches" on youtube explains this... as essentially the smart keyfob constantly emits the radio signal key that is to match with the car... they have signal readers and replicators... which is not good... big security flaw, but doesn't seem too wide spread yet.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/839854/car-theft-keyless-entry-hacker-UK-driver-warning

Last edited:
Back