Leave climate on or turn off at shutdown

Well, first you have to ask what advantage you get by turning everything off before shutdown. I don't see any. Next, is there an advantage to having everything off at start-up. Again, I don't see one, because most cars shut off the blower fan when cranking. Does a CX-5? I leave everything as I last used it at shutdown and I can't remember if the blower runs when cranking.

If your battery can't start the engine with the blower on, you prolly need a new battery.

Well, first you have to ask what advantage you get by turning everything off before shutdown. I don't see any. Next, is there an advantage to having everything off at start-up. Again, I don't see one, because most cars shut off the blower fan when cranking. Does a CX-5? I leave everything as I last used it at shutdown and I can't remember if the blower runs when cranking.

If your battery can't start the engine with the blower on, you prolly need a new battery.

Right the car is designed for you to leave everything on. So it wont matter anyway.

I found using full auto in the summer froze me out. It was just too intense. In the winter it wasnt quite as bad. So I ended up manually controlling the blower speed, and often controlled the vent settings as well.

But I leave the AC on year round. Never had a problem. I imagine the cars computer ensures no damage is done by leaving these HVAC systems on.

As Colt said: if this causes you any issue you need a battery. And I would have said the same thing in 1990. In 1970. In 1950.
So I wouldn't call this practice old school thinking. Maybe more like over precautious. [emoji38]

I don't think anyone is arguing that there's an advantage to shutting everything off. Just whether people held on to old-school habits.

As far as the 1950 comment, consider this: engine oil was like molasses, batteries weren't all that strong, and starters (or any electric motors for that matter) were horribly inefficient. On a frigid morning, you might need every ounce of electricity you could get to start a car. If you lived in a cold climate and bought a new battery every time you couldn't start your car because you were hell-bent on never turning your blower off, then you may have ended up a poor man, haha.

1970? Maybe, maybe not. It was the dawn of fuel injection in your everyday cars, and all of a sudden you needed 12V in several places during cranking, as opposed to a carb'd car with a mechanical fuel pump that only needed power to the starter.

1990? Sure, go for it. I still turned mine off then, just like I do now. :D

The bottom line is: there's no need to do it, but no harm in doing it. It doesn't matter. Do what makes you feel good!

The bottom line is: there's no need to do it, but no harm in doing it. It doesn't matter. Do what makes you feel good!

I agree, but...
As I was reading through all the posts in this topic I started to wonder.
Are there any die hards out there switching things on/off when the i-stop kicks in? :D

I agree, but...
As I was reading through all the posts in this topic I started to wonder.
Are there any die hards out there switching things on/off when the i-stop kicks in? :D

I will turn off the ac if I am stuck in traffic and doesn't look like it's going to move soon to extend the Istop for as long as possible

I agree with the consensus that it doesn't really matter, but the habit of doing an orderly shutdown so that the vehicle is in a known/stable configuration on restart is engrained in me from thousands of hours of flying a variety of aircraft which all have shutdown checklists. And I still get slightly peeved at my wife when I get in the car, start it up, and the radio is blaring, the wipers are wiping/scratching a dry windshield, and the HVAC is in some bizarre mode that I never use.

It's a fine line between being organized/thorough and anal retentive.

- Mark

Last edited:
I agree with the consensus that it doesn't really matter, but the habit of doing an orderly shutdown so that the vehicle is in a known/stable configuration on restart is engrained in me from thousands of hours of flying a variety of aircraft which all have shutdown checklists. And I still get slightly peeved at my wife when I get in the car, start it up, and the radio is blaring, the wipers are wiping/scratching a dry windshield, and the HVAC is in some bizarre mode that I never use.

It's a fine line between being organized/thorough and anal retentive.

- Mark

I*m right there with you...

Nothing orderly about me leaving the car after getting in from work. I*m half way up the stairs to bed before the wheels have stopped turning let alone stripping the car back to just come off the production line status. It never bothers it one iota.

Last edited:
here in the North east during the winter months, I make sure to turn off the Heater when turning off the car.
I just don't like cold air blowing on me when i first start the car, so I wait till the car is properly warmed up to turn the Heater back on and have warm air blowing.
I can't be the only one who practices this.

I think it makes sense to turn off the wipers and I kick myself when I forget. Ive done this on a previous car and they then froze to windshield and popped a fuse when I started it later due to being stuck.

I leave the fan on but always turn off the AC. That's mainly due to old habits as you said where there were concerns in older cars where it would cause stress on the vehicle, plus at times I noticed a smell if I left the AC on and then started the car up again later on (this was a older car, not my Mazda). The other reason is I mainly only turn on the AC when needed, depending on the weather, I'm usually fine with just the fan.

Last edited:
Back