2019 CX-9 rattle from sunroof area at highway speeds

:
CX-9 GT 2019
Oops, wrong forum, please move to lounge :)

My CX-9 is below 2k miles and it had developed a very annoying rattle at 50+mph speeds.

It comes from right side of the sunroof, above front passenger and sounds like some bolt is little loose. Manipulations with the sunroof doesn't help, but if I close the sunroof cover - it isolates the sound a little bit, I still can hear it is present.

Even though it seems to be internal sound, I would expect rough road to affect it. But it doesn't. Only speed.

Does it sounds familiar to anybody?
Is it something worthwhile taking to the dealership for a warranty claim? or waste of time?

Last edited:
Heck yes I'd take it to the dealer, do you want to listen to it as long as you have the vehicle?
Providing the sound is reproducible so they can hear it they should be able to locate and fix it.

Drove 100 miles in my 19 CX-9 GT today on the freeway. The car also turned over 2000 miles today. My CX-9 is super quiet at highway speeds. You should take it to the dealer to repair.

Take a video of the sound just in case you aren't able to reproduce the sound at the dealer.

phew... false alarm. When the issue started, I was hopping for a leaf that simply stuck in the roof somewhere and making a noise on a high speed. But I didn't find anything after quick lookups.

Recently I tried to check if the rail is attached ok and not loose. While checking I found a maple seed stuck deep in between rail and roof. It wasn't visible unless you look at it directly :) Problem solved.

After 500 miles I started to hear rattle from the glove box area. I asked my wife to help pin point and later we found out the rattle was from the sunglasses in the overhead sunglasses holder.

I thought I had a rattle near the rear passenger side door. Turns out it is just the level on the car seat base, lol

That's a problem with quiet vehicles, the little noises become much more apparent.

That's a problem with quiet vehicles, the little noises become much more apparent.

Ain't that the truth.

My 89 Mustang has so many rattles and wind noise it all just blends together...plus the exhaust isn't exactly quiet.
My 14 Explorer is so quite, I get annoyed by the small "tick" sound from my center console that I hear every once in a while.
My wifes CX9 is somewhere in between where there are a few louder sounds that can be annoying.

Back