Would you like the option for a foot activated rear lift gate?

Should a Foot activated rear lift gate be an option?

• Yes

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 61.5%

• Total voters
I think thats exactly it. In this segment most consumers dont really care about chassis and direct fuel injection ect. Thats all gibberish. They are like oh foot activated tailgate. That will be handy when Ive got a kid hanging off me. Or whatever. Its why you see so many minivans loaded with this kind of stuff and its becoming the trend in CUV as minivans are waning in popularity.

valid point,
however, if you look at companies like Hyundai, they offer pretty neat features like this without blowing up the price bracket.
True all these luxury items are not a need, but if other competitors offer them, Mazda will have to eventually do the same to compete no?

Besides the price of our cars didn't jump all that much after mazda added luxury items like the heated steering wheel/ ventilated seats/ folding mirrors/ carplay/ 360 backup camera.

Without being specific to Hyundai, there's a reason people buy Mazdas over the competition. Typically, this reason is the driver feel. Mazda puts more of a focus on that, its part of what sets them apart. For example, the Kia Sorento is a feature-rich SUV with more cargo room than the CX-9. But IMO, it pales in comparison to the CX-9's aesthetic and driving feel. I can live with a little less cargo space, the lack of AA/ACP, and other minor features if I can drive something that I actually enjoy driving.

All that aside, Mazda has been very responsive to what the masses want lately. If enough people want a specific feature, and it makes sense for them financially, they'll incorporate it in a future MY or refresh.

Last edited:
I think thats right. The funny thing is my wife all that technical stuff is gibberish but she likes how it feels. She had a small car before and after the test drive she told me she liked it because it felt like she could zip around like before. Unlike a lot of other CUVs. Mazda still has to offer the whiz bang stiff though or they will loose our because people will eliminate due to lack of a feature before even test driving when doing their online research. I create a spreadsheet to narrow it down.

I think that*s right. The funny thing is my wife all that technical stuff is gibberish but she likes how it feels. She had a small car before and after the test drive she told me she liked it because it felt like she could zip around like before. Unlike a lot of other CUVs. Mazda still has to offer the whiz bang stiff though or they will loose our because people will eliminate due to lack of a feature before even test driving when doing their online research. I create a spreadsheet to narrow it down.

This is definitely true for a lot of buyers who do a lot of online research to narrow down candidates before test driving. The test drive is where Mazda always shines. And over the past few years, Mazda has lost some sales from those on this board due to the lack of AA/ACP. I just don't think a pano roof or the foot-activated liftgate is as much of a dealbreaker as AA/ACP is. Of course, this varies from person to person.

This is definitely true for a lot of buyers who do a lot of online research to narrow down candidates before test driving. The test drive is where Mazda always shines. And over the past few years, Mazda has lost some sales from those on this board due to the lack of AA/ACP. I just don't think a pano roof or the foot-activated liftgate is as much of a dealbreaker as AA/ACP is. Of course, this varies from person to person.

Agreed. We almost didnt buy it over CarPlay. The pano roof and foot activated tailgate are just nice to haves for me.

I don't think it's necessary. Another sensor/function with another cost. I might not mind a voice activated one however. "Open sesame."

definitely agree.
In the end Mazda for me drives a lot better than it's competition and the styling is also another great reason too.
But call me greedy, i would love to have all these other options.
I was thrilled when they finally added the heated steering wheel, definitely a need on the northeast (They offered this in Canada first though.)

and now the vented seats are going to be very very nice for me.

Without being specific to Hyundai, there's a reason people buy Mazdas over the competition. Typically, this reason is the driver feel. Mazda puts more of a focus on that, its part of what sets them apart. For example, the Kia Sorento is a feature-rich SUV with more cargo room than the CX-9. But IMO, it pales in comparison to the CX-9's aesthetic and driving feel. I can live with a little less cargo space, the lack of AA/ACP, and other minor features if I can drive something that I actually enjoy driving.

All that aside, Mazda has been very responsive to what the masses want lately. If enough people want a specific feature, and it makes sense for them financially, they'll incorporate it in a future MY or refresh.

What Ive always wondered is this: How much do these tech features really cost these days?

I know pano roofs and probably ACP have cost, but I have a hard time believing parking sensors, activated lift gates, LED interior lighting, etc. are more than a few dollars per car. So I push back on the idea that a cost or feature trade off is necessary for many of those things.

I remember ten years ago when a stupid AUX port to connect your iPod to the stereo was a big deal. There was no reason for every car to not have this 5-cent addition years before.

Yea the economies of scale really do drive it down. Thats why the margins are so good on the higher trim levels.

Back