No auto hold feature?

:
2019 CX-9 GT
Bit disappointed that my brand new 2019 CX-9 GT does not have the auto hold feature, when the CX-5 Touring does. It's a real handy and convenient feature that is easy to get accustomed to and makes you a bit annoyed when you don't have it. Surprised they didn't add it as a feature with the 2019 refresh that saw the addition of 360 camera, Apple Carplay, cooled seats, etc. There's a spot for it just behind the electronic parking brake button. Anyone have any insight or equally as disappointed as I am about this?

what is the auto hold feature?
is this different from hill launch assist feature?

It's a button you press to activate the brake auto hold system when you start your car, or any time after the car is started. When the system is activated and you come to a complete stop, the vehicle keeps the brakes on after you lift your foot off the brake. Great for city driving when you're at stoplights. It keeps the brakes on without you having to apply pressure to the brake pedal. When the light turns green and you want to move, you simply press on the accelerator and the brakes disengage. It may not seem like a necessary option, but my other car has this feature and it is very easy to get used to, especially if you do a lot of city driving. Puzzling the CX-5 has it and CX-9 does not.

It'll probably make its way to the cx-9 eventually. To be honest considering the 2019 has cooled seats, and folding mirrors, and now there is a poll for panoramic sun roof & hand free trunk opening on top of this feature ppl are SPOILED to say the least as far as what they want out of this car. They can only do so much and keep it at the same price point....if ppl want all these crazy other features fine guy buy a vehicle in the luxury segment with all those features bundled IMO.

You def get what you pay for with the CX-9 and I love mine and plan on driving it for many years.

2018 Mazda6 has it as well. Extremely odd the Mazda flagship vehicle does not have every available option found in the lower models.

2018 Mazda6 has it as well. Extremely odd the Mazda flagship vehicle does not have every available option found in the lower models.

I typically see this with smaller cars, and I agree... I wanted the feature after trying out one of the new Civics. Perhaps Mazda figured people would be OK with the stop and go cruise control alone and save cost along the way

Funny I tested an RX350 2yrs ago with this feature and when I engaged/used it I didn't like it so if my CX9 had it most likely won't use it...to me it's a useless feature just like the auto stop-start feature in my other vehicle...just a total gimmick to save fuel but is just annoying!

It'll probably make its way to the cx-9 eventually. To be honest considering the 2019 has cooled seats, and folding mirrors, and now there is a poll for panoramic sun roof & hand free trunk opening on top of this feature ppl are SPOILED to say the least as far as what they want out of this car. They can only do so much and keep it at the same price point....if ppl want all these crazy other features fine guy buy a vehicle in the luxury segment with all those features bundled IMO.

You def get what you pay for with the CX-9 and I love mine and plan on driving it for many years.

but you do know Hyundai offers all this right? you don't need to increase the price so much or go to a luxury segment to get these, these are all luxury items that's pretty much offered by all competitions.
You also need to know companies need to stay relevant and competitive to stay in this segment., so why wouldn't Mazda offer these options in the future? they might not want to, but they probably will have to.

It's a button you press to activate the brake auto hold system when you start your car, or any time after the car is started. When the system is activated and you come to a complete stop, the vehicle keeps the brakes on after you lift your foot off the brake. Great for city driving when you're at stoplights. It keeps the brakes on without you having to apply pressure to the brake pedal. When the light turns green and you want to move, you simply press on the accelerator and the brakes disengage. It may not seem like a necessary option, but my other car has this feature and it is very easy to get used to, especially if you do a lot of city driving. Puzzling the CX-5 has it and CX-9 does not.

That is a pretty neat feature,
i guess you can always manually activate the Electronic side brake when at a stop and press the gas when you need to go, as this disengages automatically.

That is a pretty neat feature,
i guess you can always manually activate the Electronic side brake when at a stop and press the gas when you need to go, as this disengages automatically.

Don't think that's recommended when in Drive.

I know it seems nitpicky, but auto hold is becoming a very standard feature available in all levels of car. A shame it is not even available on the top trim of Mazda's flagship vehicle, when other vehicles in the lineup have it. Puzzling.

Wonder if this is available on the 2019 cx5?

i found this.
and there doesn't seem to be any warnings on the manual against activating the EPB on drive mode.
The only warning is to NOT drive with the EPB active (driving with the EPB pulled)

"If the accelerator pedal is depressed with the EPB applied and all of the following conditions met, the parking brake is released automatically.

The engine is running.

The driver's door is closed.

The driver's seat belt is fastened.

Selector lever is in the D, M, or R position

http://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-9/cx-9_8gc7ee17g/contents/05050107.html

Don't think that's recommended when in Drive.

I know it seems nitpicky, but auto hold is becoming a very standard feature available in all levels of car. A shame it is not even available on the top trim of Mazda's flagship vehicle, when other vehicles in the lineup have it. Puzzling.

Last edited:
My thought is this...

The Mazda already has full stop/go Radar cruise - anytime you use it to automatically stop you behind a vehicle in front of you, it goes into "HOLD" and actually displays that message on the IP.

(But of course if you are not on "Radar Cruise" and there is no vehicle in front of you - there is no way to get into "Auto brake hold" (or whatever each manufacturer calls it) -

But since Mazda already has a complete working "Auto brake hold" - it should be a simple (almost free) extra step to add a button or whatever to have it ALSO WORK while not in Radar Cruise - right?

i can't believe they took this feature out on their flagship model...what the heck??
just checked the cx-5 and that has it. =/

Back