Rumble in low rpm second gear

bobbypols

:
cx-5
Hi guys,

I have a 2015 Cx-5 60k miles, automatic gt. Some times when it moves in to second gear, there is a nasty vibration for second as the rpms climb. Mostly felt through the gas pedal, center column. Seems to happen more whe the car is cold (maybe?).

Has anyone experienced this? Seems like a tranny issue...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, other than that, enjoying the car very much.

Don't wait, take your CX-5 to the Mazda dealer checking the transmission before the 5-year/60K-mile powertrain warranty runs out!

Bought used, out of warranty. Im hoping its a cv axel joint as per the service bulletin and not a tranny issue.

Bought used, out of warranty. Im hoping its a cv axel joint as per the service bulletin and not a tranny issue.

Do you have a link to this TSB? I've had an occasional vibration in similar circumstances and always been curious what it was.

It's been there on and off since I bought the car in 2013. If anything it's gotten better over time. It's difficult to replicate so I never took it in, knowing I would be without the vehicle for awhile and apparently there was no fix until August 2016. Could be different than yours - does yours always do it?

I hear it more than feel it - a loud buzz in second gear around 2k that goes away as RPM's climb.

I experience it intermittently. Might go a day or two without experiencing it and then I would get it the next day. Typically less likely to happen when the car is warm I suppose but not certain since the car is new. Other things I can think of is torque converter shutter... I am having the transmission fluid flushed in a few days. If tranny debris is causing the torque converter to chatter, hopefully I will see a difference and let you know. Im not holding my breath however. I feel more than I hear it.

Mazdas powertrain warranty is transferrable. If your CX-5 is under 60K miles, dont hesitate to take your CX-5 to a Mazda dealer. Even if the mileage is a little over 60K miles, you still can contact Mazda North American Operations and seek for help for anything major.

No surprise, the mazda tech said he couldnt reproduce the sound. Ill have to keep coming back while its in warranty and get it documented. Thanks for the advice team.

I think I remember my 2014 T doing that on rare occasions. I think it happens just as it shifts and may very well be lugging caused by load at too low an rpm. I just ignore it. 46,000 miles and running just great. Ed

It could be a motor mount issue as well, amplified buy low rpm logging like erhayes said. Mine does it too, but I also have a polyurethane transmission mount which transmits a lot

Back