Interested in 2015 CX-5 or 2012 CX-9

AmyMarie

:
Honda Fit
In the market for certified used 2015 CX-5 or 2012 CX-9. CX-5 sport has 56,000 miles asking price 17,897. CX-9 sport has 49,000 approx. miles and listed at 15,987. Both seem to be good deals and this would be my first Mazda so looking for input on common issues, the good, the bad, the ugly. I can give more info on specs, but wanted to start with a general inquiry and go from there.

In the market for certified used 2015 CX-5 or 2012 CX-9. CX-5 sport has 56,000 miles asking price 17,897. CX-9 sport has 49,000 approx. miles and listed at 15,987. Both seem to be good deals and this would be my first Mazda so looking for input on common issues, the good, the bad, the ugly. I can give more info on specs, but wanted to start with a general inquiry and go from there.

The CX-9 would be a FORD/TOYOTA/MAZDA product. (crazy)

The CX-5 is a Mazda. (drive)

Cx9s have Lot of water pump issues. That drew me away from it. Also it's a PIA to replace, gotta remove timing chain. Costly fix.

This's a no brainer. Price aside, avoid the used 1st-gen CX-9, including the 2012 MY, at all cost!

In addition to costly repair on not-so-reliable water pump where the engine removal is required, even routine maintenance such as spark plug replacement and oxygen sensor replacement require major effort which are costly. If it's an AWD, the front transfer case will fail early which is also costly too. The replacement will fail again unless you make an effort to change the gear oil frequently as there's no drain hole and it's not on the Mazda's official maintenance list. There're other issues such as AC fan motor which would be less costly to replace.

Go to Barnes & Noble and check the used car reliability ratings for specific brand and model year on Consumer Reports which is very accurate. Or go to local library read the April issue of the Consumer Reports which has the same information.

To put this in perspective, i have a 2015 Touring AWD. Ive shopped it st multiple dealers, and have been offered as low as $7500 at the Toyota dealer(they buy it outright), to about 10k at the Mazda dealership (trade on a new Mazda). I have 98k miles, brand new brakes and tires, and interior and exterior is in "average to good" condition. Everything works exactly as it should in and on the car. If you're going to even consider paying 18k for that sport, ill sell you mine right damn now for $15k in my hands (you arrange for transport, bank fees, etc).

You have twice the mileage though. That could be 5 years of driving for him. 3-4 at least.

You have twice the mileage though. That could be 5 years of driving for him. 3-4 at least.

Yes, but I am still shocked that I was given $7K by a dealership for my 2001 Trans Am, in 2010, with 149K miles on it, paint all flaked off the hood, whole A/C system needing repair, and this vehicle has 50K less miles and is in 100% perfect condition (minus below average wear on paint and interior), and it's only 3 years old and worth about the same. Just shameful how bad Mazda retains value. I'm basically keeping this until the wheels fall off, and never buying anything to daily other than Honda, Toyota, or Lexus.

I found a 2015 with the Bose/moonroof package, and roof rails with just under 49,000 miles. Ended up paying high end market value on it but it's a clean car with one owner, no accidents drives fantastic, not used to how smooth it is after driving a tiny Honda Fit for 10 years haha. Have had it for 3 days and I love it! Thanks guys for the advice, very happy I joined the Mazda family.

Back