Panoramic Roof...who wants it as an option?

Panoramic roof who wants it as an option?

• Total voters
It should be on all their next gen models. Which is probably in 2-3 years.

So from what I can gather. It seems we have people who don*t mind having it and then people who definitely do not want them ever not even a moon roof. So I guess pano roof or any type of moon roof going forward to satisfy both extremes should only be a stand alone option all across the trim line that can be deleted.
Would that make everyone happy?

Having such a stand alone option is almost never going to happen on a mainstream brand. Possibly on a German luxury brand at great expense but these types of stand alone features are very difficult to offer from an economic standpoint. This is why the large majority of automakers simply include it as standard on only the top trim or top 2 trims. If you're buying a base model, the cost is proportionally too high for most buyers to add as a standalone option. Then there's the problem of inventory. Most people don't like to wait for special orders so a dealer would have to stock both with or without pano's across the whole lineup of trims. My Mazda dealer only stocks about 4-7 CX-9s in total.

It should be on all their next gen models. Which is probably in 2-3 years.

It's certainly likely Mazda will fall to having one on the next gen due to customer pressure. Just read through social media posts (Youtube, forums, etc) and you'll see lots of people say they passed on the CX-9 for this one reason. That's not a reason Mazda wants to continue losing sales over.

It's not like Mazda didn't think about it for this gen, they carefully considered it and ruled against it because it goes against Mazda's mission: optimal driving dynamics. But going forward, they won't be able to be the only vehicle in class without the option. So we'll get a more top heavy feel in future CX-9's.

Next gen will be no earlier than 2022.

Well said indeed.

It's certainly likely Mazda will fall to having one on the next gen due to customer pressure. Just read through social media posts (Youtube, forums, etc) and you'll see lots of people say they passed on the CX-9 for this one reason. That's not a reason Mazda wants to continue losing sales over.

It's not like Mazda didn't think about it for this gen, they carefully considered it and ruled against it because it goes against Mazda's mission: optimal driving dynamics. But going forward, they won't be able to be the only vehicle in class without the option. So we'll get a more top heavy feel in future CX-9's.

Next gen will be no earlier than 2022.

In the intro videos for this current generation (videos in 2015 or 2016 for the 2016 model) Mazda people said that Mazda chose the current small sun roof to minimize weight and maximize fuel economy.

Correct. I heard that as well.
Its all part of the skyactiv packaging. But if they want to save more weight, lets add a CF roof. I kid I kid. Unfortunately Mazda needs to offer pano in the next gen cars as they are late to the game if they want to stay competitive. Sure there are many negatives to having a pano roof. But some drivers, like myself really like them despite this. And honestly how much of a performance hit will you get? This isnt a race car. Its a family hauler.

...how much of a performance hit will you get? This isnt a race car. Its a family hauler.

I'm not sure this is in line with Mazda philosophy? They certainly didn't make that the priority in CX-9 when it came to the size and access to the 3rd row seating.

Sure there are many negatives to having a pano roof. But some drivers really like them despite this.

That seems it could likely be more of a fad or novelty, but certainly not driver-centric.

Unfortunately Mazda needs to offer pano in the next gen cars as they are late to the game if they want to stay competitive.

I think the same was said about Tailfins ;-)

i agree that pano roof is not driver centric, but to some like myself, it adds a bit of driving enjoyment as well by allowing for a open environment feeling.

Tail fins or shark fins? i think they're both offered now right? ;)

Latest posts

Back