Panoramic Roof...who wants it as an option?

Panoramic roof who wants it as an option?

• Total voters
:
2019 cx-5 signature. 2019 cx-3 awd touring
Just polling to see how many people would like to have a pano roof option,
I for one would like one...and many competitors in this segment offer them,

No thanks. It adds weight, is usually noisier, and allows more sunlight in during the day which is not a good thing in the summer given how poor the a/c is on the car already. And the way most manufacturers do things today this would likely be an included feature on GT and up with no way of getting rid of it unless you buy a lower end model. I'm perfectly happy having a regular moonroof with a solid shade that opens/closes when needed.

Mazda is going upmarket, so as you said, this will probably be offered on the GT and above trims.
I mean it's offered in Hyundai's!
I had this on the santa fe, and had no issues whatsoever.
it does give a more luxurious feel.

Id definitely be down for it. To me, this sunroof feels too small for the size of the car, Im always driving with the sunroof or the at least the cover open, and I absolutely love the luxurious look and feel of pano roofs (keep in mind our other car is a soft top Miata, so we obviously enjoy that openness feel). I wouldnt mind the added weight or the slight impact in performance from having one. I do love how it performs currently, but a slightly lesser performance wouldnt have kept me from buying this car. I just fell in love with the styling of the CX-9, and just couldnt see myself driving any of the other options available at this price point; regardless of performance. It was either this, spending $30k-$40k more, or buying used. Were completely happy with our decision and still love our 9, but as Ive stated before, pano roof is the only box that remains unchecked from my must have list. Oh... and I guess Im lucky that Ive never had any problems with my A/C... even during our Phoenix summers. So that wouldnt keep me from still wanting the pano roof either.

A pano roof would certainly brighten up the shorter winter days. I like being around natural light as much as I can in the winter.

A Mazda rep told me that a pano roof can compromise body integrity that's why Mazda won't do it. Not sure if that's fact or bs. Please discuss.

When I lived in the Pacific Northwest my sunroof (sunshade) was open most of the time. Now that I live in the Southwest I rarely open it, we go to great lengths to keep the hot sun out of our homes and cars. When shopping for a new vehicle a pano sunroof was a negative in my book.

All moon roofs affect body Rigidity.
And although Mazda might say they are not going to do this because it impacts performance and weight, if there is a market for it, they will. Remember back in the days when BMW only produced NA models and said they wont go Turbo? now mostly all their lines are turbocharged. Haha

A pano roof would certainly brighten up the shorter winter days. I like being around natural light as much as I can in the winter.

A Mazda rep told me that a pano roof can compromise body integrity that's why Mazda won't do it. Not sure if that's fact or bs. Please discuss.

And although Mazda might say they are not going to do this because it impacts performance and weight, if there is a market for it, they will. Remember back in the days when BMW only produced NA models and said they won*t go Turbo? now mostly all their lines are turbocharged. Haha

The truth is adding a pano-roof will affect the center of gravity and the dynamic of the car, but for normal driving, it won't make much of a difference unless you are on race. A least that is the reason why BMW M cars owners go for the carbon fiber roof instead. Having a car with pano roof it is a love-hate relationship. I love the fact that it make the car looks more spacious inside and it's cool looking up in the night. Sadly, the roof get noisy over time. If you have OCD like me this is not an option. Then it is the heat, even with a full thick shade you can feel hotter inside than in a car without it during the summer. I think if Mazda want to go with it, it should be an option for the signature or GT. trims There are people who likes it and other people who don't.

And although Mazda might say they are not going to do this because it impacts performance and weight, if there is a market for it, they will. Remember back in the days when BMW only produced NA models and said they won*t go Turbo? now mostly all their lines are turbocharged. Haha

Well--you are arguing the opposite side of the coin. With advancements in performance and reliability of turbos, plus the incremental increase in MPGs with smaller engines in the face of CAFE standards, turbos just make sense.

Pano roofs add weight, which car makers are desperately trying to shed (like ditching spare tires). So I agree "Never say never", but it's not like there's compelling efficiency or performance reasons to add a pano S/R; just "everyone else is doing it".

Cons:
--the glass is heavier than the normal steel
--the hole in the roof requires reinforcing the roof with added steel around it for the needed rigidity and roll-over strength
--the assembly results in a thicker roof reducing headroom inside
--it adds cost
--the added weight up high hinders handling
--the added weight hurts gas mileage

But everyone is doing it. Haha
And honestly to stay competitive and moving upmarket, they would definitely need to offer it. At least on their GT-R and Signature models.

Cons:
--the glass is heavier than the normal steel
--the hole in the roof requires reinforcing the roof with added steel around it for the needed rigidity and roll-over strength
--the assembly results in a thicker roof reducing headroom inside
--it adds cost
--the added weight up high hinders handling
--the added weight hurts gas mileage

I've had pano roof on my prev XC60 and rarely ever used it so with our CX9 same thing (rarely ever use it)...while the pano will add brightness into the cabin it does have a lot of cons into it like most have mentioned. So in short, No IDC for it...

So from what I can gather. It seems we have people who dont mind having it and then people who definitely do not want them ever not even a moon roof. So I guess pano roof or any type of moon roof going forward to satisfy both extremes should only be a stand alone option all across the trim line that can be deleted.
Would that make everyone happy?

Its glass. Of course there are cases where itll shatter. Just like our windshields. Just too bad they dont hold pano roofs in the same standard as windshields. I think pano roofs are a great option to have. I know it adds weight and structural ridgidity needs to be reinforced but how much performance or mpg actually suffers? Anyone have data on this?
I dont think anyone would really notice on a CUV.

Even if Mazda adds a pano roof I can't imagine it'll be anytime soon. This would take a redesign and testing. There's no telling when that might be. Those that want it might be waiting a while. Still, it would be nice of Mazda to offer the option.

Back