Panoramic roof who wants it as an option?

Panoramic roof who wants it as an option?

• Total voters
Yeah, last 2 springs/summers here have been brutal with the hail. My Mom's Subaru was absolutely wasted. I lucked out and didn't get caught up in any of the storms, but had I been, no way in hell I would want a sunroof over my head. Bad enough the hail was blasting peoples' windshields and back windows to hell.

Isnt it a total loss at that point anyway?

I love sunroofs and every car I've owned for 20 years has had one.
Never had one crack, rattle or leak.
Having said that: NO I don't want Pano. Buddy has one in his car. He said "It's nice for the backseat passngers. In the front seat it's no different then a normal sun roof. lol

Poll options aren't great. Should just be a YES / NO.
No it will... weigh the car down? How about just NO.

Last edited:
Isnt it a total loss at that point anyway?

I have Pano in my X3, if Im in the car and this happens, Im phuked.

f6d7f50ac97cda77165a9686146c81b4.jpg

Isn*t it a total loss at that point anyway?

Depends on the car and the value really.

I have Pano in my X3, if I*m in the car and this happens, I*m phuked.

f6d7f50ac97cda77165a9686146c81b4.jpg

2 years ago in May, that would have been exactly what your pano roof would have looked like if you were hanging around in Lakewood or Golden area. I was out east at the time and lucked out. We've had other hailstorms since then, but that one was the really bad one.

This year, I had a coworker who lives in the Springs who took some pics of some pretty big hail.

I don't know what it is, it feels like just the past couple of years have been way worse than normal on the hail front.

I love sunroofs and every car I've owned for 20 years has had one.
Never had one crack, rattle or leak.
Having said that: NO I don't want Pano. Buddy has one in his car. He said "It's nice for the backseat passngers. In the front seat it's no different then a normal sun roof. lol

Poll options aren't great. Should just be a YES / NO.
No it will... weigh the car down? How about just NO.

regardless of what your specific reason might be
yes = yes
no = no

Not me. I HATE sun roofs. The most common problems with them are water leakage, rattling, and glass breakage. And I dont need the sun on me when I drive. I think sun roofs should be offered as a single stand alone option thats not grouped with other options and trim levels. Im considering a 19 CX-5 Touring model. I would opt for the GT instead if the GT didnt have the sun roof as standard equipment.

Every car Ive owned had a sun roof and Ive never had an issue. Its not really a challenge for manufacturers.

Yeah, last 2 springs/summers here have been brutal with the hail. My Mom's Subaru was absolutely wasted. I lucked out and didn't get caught up in any of the storms, but had I been, no way in hell I would want a sunroof over my head. Bad enough the hail was blasting peoples' windshields and back windows to hell.

Id MUCH rather replace glass than get stuck with notoriously shoddy hail dent repair.

I*d MUCH rather replace glass than get stuck with notoriously shoddy hail dent repair.

What do you mean? They replaced her whole roof with a brand new one. Also, you're still going to have dented body work anyway. Is all the hail localized around the sunroof only lol?

So no, I don't want to be getting hit with the broken glass if I am caught driving in it. That sounds very much terrible.

What do you mean? They replaced her whole roof with a brand new one. Also, you're still going to have dented body work anyway. Is all the hail localized around the sunroof only lol?

So no, I don't want to be getting hit with the broken glass if I am caught driving in it. That sounds very much terrible.

Its safety glass. Its fine.

It*s safety glass. It*s fine.

Be that as it may, another distraction when caught in a bad hailstorm. And now the hail has a hole in the roof to pelt me with.

I wouldn't normally be so critical of a sunroof, if I lived in another area, I'd be totally for having one. But around here, and the kind of hail we've had the last couple of year, it just would make me very nervous to have one.

It*s safety glass. It*s fine.

One would probably close the shade as well, just in case.

My mom's X3 had a pano roof. It was factory tinted with UV protection so it never made the cabin hot. The motor on it failed and BMW wanted to charge too much to fix it, so we just left it closed and never used it again. It's nice for passengers, but as a driver you wouldn't notice the difference.

I think the only time I might get some use out of it would be if I had the seat fully reclined to look at the stars or something. (dunno)

I don't understand the point of a sunroof.
It's not like I can lookup while driving because (a) need to look at the road (b) the angle is inconvenient.
My first car had a sunroof. It was closed most of the time.
With my CX-5, it was harder to get one without the sunroof.

It's not like I can lookup while driving because (a) need to look at the road (b) the angle is inconvenient.

Pano makes the entire interior brighter, and makes it feel bigger

I've enjoyed my MAZDA CX7 & CX5 sunroofs. I find it very pleasurable in the evening. I have never had an issue with any of my 4 sunroofs. I am concerned IF they get double-size like some manufactures are doing. Ed

Makes driving more enjoyable imo. Like a convertible does. If you like being cooped up it probably wouldn't appeal.

Pano makes the entire interior brighter, and makes it feel bigger

That..my X1(that's going back tomorrow:( had one..its nice but I'm w/7 on this one- roof yes(bigger than Mazda's- sure) pano eh don't need it. The light is nice and I use tilt feature alot.. I did have mice chew clean through the drain tube on my old CR-V at around the same time I had my windshield replaced..that was a fun one.

Last edited:
My question to the OP.
Is the pano roof glass made of safety glass like the front windshield?
If not, No Way.

Back