New owner, traded in new CRV

Colorado_2018

:
2018 CX5
Hi all,

Just wanted to say hi and I'm glad to be here.

Just took delivery of a 2018 (built in September) Touring with preferred equipment in machine grey.

My CRV that I traded in was also a 2018 with just under 6k miles. As some of you may know there are some serious, real issues with the latest CRV (oil dilution and lack of cabin heat). I personally did not experience this issues to the degree of some but enough to know I wanted out. The main reasons I traded was after a while the turbo and CVT was not ideal for me. I could not see owning it long term.

With that said, I got a great deal on the CX5 and great trade in value on the CRV so all is good.

I must say, this is one of the best vehicles I've owned and each day it's more fun to drive. I know I'll find quirks but for now I'm very happy and excited for long term ownership. It's also one of the best colors in my opinion. I almost got black but changed my mind once I saw the machine grey. Much more fun to drive than the CRV and has performed well at low temperatures.

I'll be seeing you all around!

Another more fun to drive comment from a CRV owner?!? Hmmm. Seeing a pattern here.
And isn't it just damn sexier, too? You made the right choice brother. I test drove a CRV and crossed it off my list the minute I drove the Mazda.
Welcome to the club! Shoulda gone black though. [emoji3] #TeamBlack

Congrats and welcome! Hope you have many years of stress free and enjoyable ownership.

I*ve been following the CRV issues at a distance over at OdyClub. Can*t help but feel that Honda may have screwed the pooch when they moved production to NA. My 2017 Odyssey is great, but people are reporting fit and driving issues with 2018 and newer Odyssey*s too. Cutting corners to save costs (no rear speakers, removing second AC evaporator for the rear AC, rattling transmissions or harsher downshifts, etc).

Another more fun to drive comment from a CRV owner?!? Hmmm. Seeing a pattern here.
And isn't it just damn sexier, too? You made the right choice brother. I test drove a CRV and crossed it off my list the minute I drove the Mazda.
Welcome to the club! Shoulda gone black though. [emoji3] #TeamBlack

"I like my cars like my men" - 7eregrine
2zodj6g.png

Last edited:
Thanks. The stuff going on with the CRV is downright unfortunate. Not being able to get heat in the winter - not even enough to defrost. Or, having to change the oil every 500 miles. Again, not everyone has the issue but enough do to make me nervous about resale value down the road. I had to drive in sport mode under 32 to have enough heat and to keep the oil dilution at bay. Other folks are trying other crazy things to get heat. I finally just realized, why am I doing this? And you're right, the CX5 is just better looking. I walked in ready to get black but once I saw machine grey, I just couldn't.

I checked out this forum first and did not see major issues (saw some but not enough to scare me away). And it's just a perfect fit. I really appreciate the touch-feel of the controls for the HU in front of the center arm rest. Within a day I knew where every button was by feel and I can keep my eyes on the road.

The big problem was where to mount my phone but I solved that and all is good.

The only thing I've noticed so far is vibration when driving above 40 mph (not so much in the steering wheel but just overall (I did see the thread here about that).

Anyway - thanks for the welcome!

Hmm another cvt wasn't ideal, yeah they do suck once crv went cvt I knew it was over..my 07 exl treated me well too..shame. But hey you saw the light and picked a great color..welcome abroad;)

Last edited:
Welcome! I think machine grey is an excellent color. Near identical to my 370z back in 2012. Japan may do thin paint, but its super pretty in metallic!

Whay led you to go cx5 now, instead of waiting for the rav4 to at least evaluate it?

Whay led you to go cx5 now, instead of waiting for the rav4 to at least evaluate it?

Couple main reasons. I wouldn't buy a vehicle in the first year of a new generation. I got the CRV in year two and they still haven't worked out the kinks with the new 1.5L turbo. I know the Mazda is in year two but the engine is not.

It's a balance though because I wouldn't want to buy I the last couple of years either. I know the readability in those years would/should be better but I know I would want the newer model.

Also, I owned a 2012 Rav4 and we have a 2017 Sienna parked in our garage that my wife drives.

I wanted something completely different that should be reliable in the long run.

Couple main reasons. I wouldn't buy a vehicle in the first year of a new generation. I got the CRV in year two and they still haven't worked out the kinks with the new 1.5L turbo. I know the Mazda is in year two but the engine is not.

It's a balance though because I wouldn't want to buy I the last couple of years either. I know the readability in those years would/should be better but I know I would want the newer model.

Also, I owned a 2012 Rav4 and we have a 2017 Sienna parked in our garage that my wife drives.

I wanted something completely different that should be reliable in the long run.

Welcome and congrats!! This is the main reason we opted for our 2017 CX5. While it was a new model, the mechanicals are all proven. We test drove a 2017 CRV Touring before we bought the CX5 and my wife really disliked it. We are extremely happy with our decision and hope you will be too!

And Machine Gray is obviously the best color!
20180916-150524-HDR.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Thanks! I don't see too many CX5s here. Of course now that I bought mine I'm seeing a lot more. Always seems to work that way...

There were hardly any on the road when I bought mine in 2013. Nowadays I see several every single day, both Gen 1 and 2.

That said, CX-5 numbers still pale in comparison to the Colorado state car (Subarus) and other big box crossovers I see on the road here.

1.5T in Civic / Accord - if its the exact same mill why are there no widespread issues with them? Or there are?
Anyhow in US you are always safe with a Honda. People will buy Toyonda's even if they sold it with a decal 'Idiot driver, beware' on the bonnet.

1.5T in Civic / Accord - if its the exact same mill why are there no widespread issues with them? Or there are?
Anyhow in US you are always safe with a Honda. People will buy Toyonda's even if they sold it with a decal 'Idiot driver, beware' on the bonnet.

Not sure about the Accord as I'm not as familiar with its engine. I believe it may be a 2.0 though.

The Civic was part of the Recall in China and also Canada. For the US it's not in scope but could be if Honda (and owner complaints) feels it's necessary.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...-cr-v-turbo-engine-fix-details-rollout-plans/

There are many who got brainwashed by consumerReports for many years.
They only buy from Toyondas....
When they see I got three Mazdas (fourth one soon), they asked: "Why?!"

This's not true. Honda's reliability rating from Consumer Repirts has been low, #10 or #9, for the last several years, which truly reflects the fact that the reliability on Honda vehicles has been getting worse in recent years.

Car Brands Reliability: How They Stack Up

Ranking the brands and showing their most and least reliable cars

attachment.php

View attachment 217979

Consumer reports has been spot on about most cars ive owned.

With Toyotas........seems like those with 4Runners and FRS's are a tad bit more car knowledgeable. Otherwise, Camry owners generally are clueless with cars and just stick to the nameplate. I would too if I did not know better.

With Toyotas........seems like those with 4Runners and FRS's are a tad bit more car knowledgeable. Otherwise, Camry owners generally are clueless with cars and just stick to the nameplate. I would too if I did not know better.

Nah man, those cars are legit. My grandparents have always owned Avalons (optioned up Camry's), and their last one has 367K miles on it. Their current one only has around 200ish?. They do book scheduled maintenance and that's it. The cars just don't break.

Back