Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yep, another snow tire thread...

Donated: $5

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT FWD w/Tech Soul Red/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by kdaug View Post
    I can't find anything in my owners manual about winter tire pressures. I run 17" winters and 19" all seasons, so put the owners manual recommended 34 lbs into my 17" winters. When I recently purchased my 2018 CX-5 I had my old winters on separate 17" rims switched over. If Mazda was recommending an extra 4 lbs for winters why wouldn't my dealer tell me that? Whenever I get my winter(or allseason) tire pressure topped up at COSTCO they never mention adding an extra 4 lbs for my winters either.
    In the 2018 downloadable owners manual (pdf version) there's a section on winter driving (p 3-54) that says:

▼ Snow Tires

Use snow tires on all four wheels

Do not go faster than 120 km/h (75 mph)
    while driving with snow tires. Inflate snow
    tires 30 kPa (0.3 kgf/cm2, 4.3 psi) more
    than recommended on the tire pressure
    label (driver's door frame), but never more
    than the maximum cold-tire pressure
    shown on the tires.
    Tire Rack did tell me this when I got my winter setup from them back in 2015. I guess all dealers are not created equal.

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

Quote Originally Posted by kdaug View Post
    I can't find anything in my owners manual about winter tire pressures. I run 17" winters and 19" all seasons, so put the owners manual recommended 34 lbs into my 17" winters. When I recently purchased my 2018 CX-5 I had my old winters on separate 17" rims switched over. If Mazda was recommending an extra 4 lbs for winters why wouldn't my dealer tell me that? Whenever I get my winter(or allseason) tire pressure topped up at COSTCO they never mention adding an extra 4 lbs for my winters either.
    It's a big misconception that dealers know all about the vehicles they sell. The dealer is only as good as the guy/kid turning the wrench on your car. I wish I had a dollar for every time I had to point out a TSB.
    Last edited by madar; 01-27-2019 at 06:48 PM.

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD non-Tech

Quote Originally Posted by brillo54 View Post
    In the 2018 downloadable owners manual (pdf version) there's a section on winter driving (p 3-54) that says:

Tire Rack did tell me this when I got my winter setup from them back in 2015. I guess all dealers are not created equal.
    You are absolutely right!!! Add 4.3 lbs extra to winter tires. I finally found it, NOT in the "Tires" Inflation Pressure section or "Specifications" Tire Pressure" section where I looked high and low, but in the "Driving Tips" Winter Driving section of my Owners Manual that you pointed out. Thanks for setting me straight. I'll definitely be asking/telling my dealer and COSTCO about this.
    Last edited by kdaug; 01-27-2019 at 08:08 PM.

Donated: $5

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT FWD w/Tech Soul Red/Parchment

Also, if you're interested, here's Tire Rack's explanation for why they think manufacturers recommend this:

WINTER / SNOW TIRE TECH: HIGHER TIRE PRESSURES FOR WINTER DRIVING

Several vehicle manufacturer's owner's manuals recommend operating winter tires several psi (typically 3-5) higher than their recommended pressures for summer and all-season tires. While none of them actually provide the reason why, there are several scenarios that would support the practice.

First and foremost is that winter tires feature more aggressive tread designs, softer tread compounds and are often molded with deeper beginning tread depths than summer or all-season tires. While the combination of these design elements allows winter tires to remain more pliable in sub-freezing temperatures to provide more traction in snow and on ice, it often results in tires that have somewhat reduced responsiveness to driver input. The 3-5 psi higher recommended inflation pressures increase tire stability and help offset the reduction in responsiveness.

Additionally ambient air temperatures in winter typically range 40- to 50-degrees Fahrenheit colder than typical summer temperatures for the same location. The lower ambient temperatures allow tires to be more efficient at radiating heat and the tires will run cooler, building up less hot tire pressure. In this case, the 3-5 psi higher recommended inflation pressure increase helps offset the reduced hot tire pressures resulting from less heat buildup.

And finally, all tire pressures are intended to be measured cold, which means when the tires are at the same temperature as the air outside. Unfortunately, unless you park your vehicle outside or in an unheated, detached garage, and measure its tire pressures first thing on dark, cold mornings, the influence of attached garages or higher ambient air temperatures later in the day often means that drivers are actually measuring tires that are not completely cold. In this case the 3-5 psi higher recommended inflation pressure increase helps offset the reduced tire pressures associated with the conditions in which the tire pressures are typically measured.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

92 MX-3; 17 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    The Nokian WRG3 SUV's are absolute trash, and I'll never own another tire made by that company again. Absolute junk.
    Your experience with the Nokian WRs was terrible. But, that was not my experience with 3 sets of Nokian WR series tires on 3 different vehicles over a number of years. My experience with these tires is with sedans - not the SUV version. So, maybe the SUV version is just not the same. Living in a northern climate the all season "plus" tires are a great choice if you don't want the hassle or feel you need a dedicated set of snow tires. All the major tire brands are adding similar all season plus tire to their line up.

I've got some dedicated snow tires for a rear wheel drive vehicle - but will consider an all season plus tire for the CX-5. I'm also hoping that over the next 12-18 months we will get a few more choices for our 19" wheels.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123