Thread: Yep, another snow tire thread...

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

Yep, another snow tire thread...

Man, we just got nailed with one hell of a snow storm today. Weather service, or dis-service in this case, was saying 1 to 3 inches around 11am when it started snowing, ended up with a winter storm warning with 4 to 8 inches with freezing rain and sleet. I left work early at 1 and begin my 25 mile drive home which normally takes 45 minutes, ended up being 2 hours!! Snow was coming down at a rate of 2 inches an hour, temps dropped from 30 when I left to about 25 while I was going home with windy conditions, no salt trucks or road plows to be seen! People were all over the road, if you had a FWD car with all seasons, forget it, you weren't going up the slightest incline. The road covered fast with snow and ice and it got slicker than I've seen in quite a few years. I'm running Continental Winter Contis with my AWD, and it was virtually like I was driving on blacktop, was actually passing cars creeping along at 10 mph and easily maneuvering around all the cars that slid into the side of the road and were trapped. If you're even considering snow tires, make the investment, you really won't believe the difference.

Registered Member

'14 liquid CX-5 AWD GT tech

That tire was a close second tr rep swayed me to michelin and historically not a big fan of mich..how's the hwy noise? Dry road handling?
    247 community defender of: gen1 steering, styling, seats and gated shifter, compression ignition, rwd, Asian twins, winter tires, manual: tailgates, transmissions, ebrakes, also liquid silver and Lawson's Liquids FTFW!

My automotive lineage:
    1983 Toyota Celica GTS 5MT- aka rustback
    1984 Toyota Supra 5MT- change averse much?
    1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 5MT- good times- newfound respect for term mid-engined oversteer!
    2002 MB C230 Coupe 6MT- 1st new car(chosen over GTI) and a good one until gremlins came
    +good house/bad driveway
    2006 Acura TL 6MT (shortest ownership by far 1year of tq steer&driveway fails>enough)
    2007 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L -not much to say boring excellence?
    2009 BMW 128i 6MT - End of the old-school bimmers probably should have kept.. wanted 4drs
    2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT - what can I say not so boring excellence? I continue to be impressed.
    2015 BMW X1 RWD Msport - Liked it, fast enough and still did donuts, e-steering wouldn't let me love it
    and then..?

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

Quote Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
    That tire was a close second tr rep swayed me to michelin and historically not a big fan of mich..how's the hwy noise? Dry road handling?
    These tires sound like an all-season, they are really quiet. I've had the Blizzaks on before these and these are way better handling in the snow and ice, much more predictable.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
    I heard the Michelins are better than the Blizzaks in terms of dry pavement driving. Since we get snowstorms that melt fairly quick and long periods of dry pavement, I'll probably check out the Michelins next time.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 76k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 buy

Registered Member

'14 liquid CX-5 AWD GT tech

Wife has DM-V1s and I can confirm they're awesome in bad conditions, but pretty bad in good conditions and they wear quickly..she does less than half the driving I do and wanted "snow claws"..short of going studded I think they're pretty much tops. The Michelin is soft but definitely a better handler than the bliz(also seems very good in wet/hydro resistance)- pretty nice balance and very tolerable in clear conditions.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member CanadaMazdaMan's Avatar

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD Deep Crystal Blue Mica

If you can find them in your area, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV's are what we're running on our 2017 CX-5 GT AWD. Really awesome on snow or ice, great lateral grip. Very low rolling resistance and quiet. Only drawback is price but I figured living in the North it was worth it. Had R2 SUV's on our Ford Escape and they were amazing over a 5 year period on from December 1st to April 1st, still had over half of their tread left...car had 55,000 miles on it when we traded it in for this one, hoping these do just as well!