Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reset ECU. Does it help?

Registered Member

2018 CX5 SE-L Nav+ 2WD 2.2D 150hp Auto

Has anyone noticed the category of the video is classed as "Comedy" hmmm. Is it April 1st yet?

Registered Member

i have a 2018 cx5 GT which was hesitating when i gave it gas . i recently installed a axle back from racing beats. i did the ecu relearned and it runs better than it ever did from factory. i'm waiting for the fix for the recall on the cylinder deactivation . and i think ill be ok.. the ecu relearn cant hurt .. it worked for me.. i just disconnect the ground over night . turn on the head light for good measure before i reconnected the ground terminal . i let it idle to normal temp. ran a/c for about 5 min. and took it for a 20 min. drive on the highway.. better than new. i'm glad i did the ecu relearn. don't knock it if you haven't tried it..
    Last edited by tony357; 07-28-2019 at 12:53 AM.

Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

It's not BS. Its relearning of short term fuel trims which then become the persisting long term fuel trims. So if you add a short ram intake for example and dont reset your ecu you'll likely throw a rich code. If you reset your ecu in the winter, and then again in the summer, you'll likely notice a difference in response as well. You can google open loop/closed loop and fuel trims to learn more

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

If you reset the ECM, you are returning the ECU to the factory default parameters. I always wrote down the radio station numbers ( you will lose then) and removed the neg battery cable for 15 minutes or so while pressing the brake pedal at time or two to remove any residual voltage. The power windows may need resetting also I'm told. Ed

Registered Member
    Contributor

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    So with everyone speaking of the computer learning one's driving habits...exactly how long does this take?

I specifically babied the thing through the break-in period...didn't go over 4,000 RPMs, no long times at the same rate of speed, no using Cruise Control, no Jack Rabbit starts & stops, etc.

Shouldn't one reset the ECU after break-in so that this base period of "bein' Grandma" is not in the computer?
    How long does the "learn procedure" last?
    Does it continue to learn or does it gather X Amount of Data and then set it's state of being until the next reset?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    I just watched the video.
    No. That's not going to restore your car to being faster. I call bullshit. The guy in the video says you should reset the ECU every "few 1,000 miles" (wtf) beause it becomes sluggish over time as the car learns how you drive. Resetting will return the car to it's like new and peppier self.
    Bullshit.
    If I already drive spiritedly and the car learns that, resetting would set me back then,no?
    My car is not one ounce slower then the day I bought it. Going on 2 years.
    You think yours is sluggish now? Guessing not.
    Here's the thing though, OP: if it's really that easy, just do it already. It certainly doesn't hurt a thing.
    And report back.
    I was always told pulling the battery cable is how you reset it, also very easy.
    In the time it took you to post, you could have done it. Not trying to be a dick but if it's really "press the brake 20 times" and the rest of that: just do it.
    Your responses drip of attitude. I know resetting the ECU on my 2014 Ford Mustang improved performance (acceleration at wot and mpg) but have not tried it on my CX-5. Has so little hp cannot imagine it would help much.

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

I get an automatic reset every time I get a new battery. :-)) ed

Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    So with everyone speaking of the computer learning one's driving habits...exactly how long does this take?

I specifically babied the thing through the break-in period...didn't go over 4,000 RPMs, no long times at the same rate of speed, no using Cruise Control, no Jack Rabbit starts & stops, etc.

Shouldn't one reset the ECU after break-in so that this base period of "bein' Grandma" is not in the computer?
    How long does the "learn procedure" last?
    Does it continue to learn or does it gather X Amount of Data and then set it's state of being until the next reset?
    No idea how many cycles it takes. It may be listed in the workshop manual.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member
    Contributor

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    No idea how many cycles it takes. It may be listed in the workshop manual.

I didn't think of that.
    Lemme go find one.

Maybe the "Relearn Cycle" is short.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    I didn't think of that.
    Lemme go find one.

Maybe the "Relearn Cycle" is short.
    If you find anything about how technically this learning is supposed to take place, please share it. I'm intrigued. All I've ever found is vague speculation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12