Reset ECU. Does it help?

Don't make us watch a 4 minute video to answer your question. Help with what?

Checking to see if anyone has reset their ECU and if it helped. The video shows how to do this. Looking for feedback from those who've done so or share to those who are interested.

Last edited:
How am I not making this clear? "And it helped" you say. Helped what?
Helped problems go away?
Helped make it faster?
Helped mpg?
But you want me to watch a video on how to reset the ECU which most of us know already to understand your question? Come on man...

How am I not making this clear? "And it helped" you say. Helped what?
Helped problems go away?
Helped make it faster?
Helped mpg?
But you want me to watch a video on how to reset the ECU which most of us know already to understand your question? Come on man...

Sorry, didn't realize this was going to escalate to something.

The point was has anyone done this and was it worth it. Sorry I wasn't clear. Please disregard the comment and I'll look elsewhere.

I did it and my car automatically gained 50 HP, my MPG went above 35 and the car was hitting 80 mph in less than 6 seconds. Well worth it in my mind.

Sorry, didn't realize this was going to escalate to something.

The point was has anyone done this and was it worth it. Sorry I wasn't clear. Please disregard the comment and I'll look elsewhere.

He's not trying to be difficult.

For instance, I am at work and youtube videos don't work here.

Therefore, what specifically are you asking if an ECU tune would help with is what he is getting at. We talking Power? MPG? It isn't clear what you are looking for here.

Last edited:
He's not trying to be difficult.

For instance, I am at work and youtube videos don't work here.

Therefore, what specifically are you asking if an ECU tune would help with is what he is getting at. We talking Power? MPG? It isn't clear what you are looking for here.

Thanks!

Looking to see if anyone has gone through the process and seen worthwhile improvements for me to give this a try. Having not done this myself, as of yet, I'm not sure what to ask so I left it open to see if anyone noticed any benefits. Curious, have you reset your ECU and was it worthwhile?

(So far so good on the General tires.)

Last edited:
Thanks!

Looking to see if anyone has gone through the process and seen worthwhile improvements for me to give this a try. Having not done this myself, as of yet, I'm not sure what to ask so I left it open to see if anyone noticed any benefits. Curious, have you reset your ECU and was it worthwhile?

(So far so good on the General tires.)
Ah I see...improvements for anything?

I personally have not.

I just watched the video.
No. That's not going to restore your car to being faster. I call bulls***. The guy in the video says you should reset the ECU every "few 1,000 miles" (wtf) beause it becomes sluggish over time as the car learns how you drive. Resetting will return the car to it's like new and peppier self.
bulls***.
If I already drive spiritedly and the car learns that, resetting would set me back then,no?
My car is not one ounce slower then the day I bought it. Going on 2 years.
You think yours is sluggish now? Guessing not.
Here's the thing though, OP: if it's really that easy, just do it already. It certainly doesn't hurt a thing.
And report back.
I was always told pulling the battery cable is how you reset it, also very easy.
In the time it took you to post, you could have done it. Not trying to be a dick but if it's really "press the brake 20 times" and the rest of that: just do it.

I wrote down what the guy said to be sure I had to clear. I did try it but it didn't respond the way it was supposed to. So I didn't get anywhere. So it seemed clear that the ECU didn't get reset.

The reason I asked first was to find out experience from other people. It's not a risk factor so much but I didn't know if it might screw something up since I'm not that familiar with this sort of thing in that late model of a vehicle. Isn't that what forums are for?

Yeah I always thought the ECU kinda learned based on how you drive it. Since I drive my CX-5 in a very spirited manner, I don't see how it will help me there to reset it.

If you reset the ECU, it just goes back to factory setting and forgets all it learned from your driving.
For better or for worse. You decide.

It amazes me at how many people want to kill their cars with kindness. If you are not having any issues, why are you messing with it?

One of the problems I have with resetting everything for no reason it the potential for things to go wrong. At a minimum, you may have to reset your clock, radio stations, convenience settings, etc. Even worse is the potential for some flaky sensor or electronic device to stop working altogether. I had the misfortune to have to replace my battery and the Bluetooth stopped working. That required a trip to the dealer to get it to reset.

If your car is running good, leave it alone.

Has anyone noticed the category of the video is classed as "Comedy" hmmm. Is it April 1st yet?

i have a 2018 cx5 GT which was hesitating when i gave it gas . i recently installed a axle back from racing beats. i did the ecu relearned and it runs better than it ever did from factory. i'm waiting for the fix for the recall on the cylinder deactivation . and i think ill be ok.. the ecu relearn cant hurt .. it worked for me.. i just disconnect the ground over night . turn on the head light for good measure before i reconnected the ground terminal . i let it idle to normal temp. ran a/c for about 5 min. and took it for a 20 min. drive on the highway.. better than new. i'm glad i did the ecu relearn. don't knock it if you haven't tried it..

Last edited:
It's not BS. Its relearning of short term fuel trims which then become the persisting long term fuel trims. So if you add a short ram intake for example and dont reset your ecu you'll likely throw a rich code. If you reset your ecu in the winter, and then again in the summer, you'll likely notice a difference in response as well. You can google open loop/closed loop and fuel trims to learn more

If you reset the ECM, you are returning the ECU to the factory default parameters. I always wrote down the radio station numbers ( you will lose then) and removed the neg battery cable for 15 minutes or so while pressing the brake pedal at time or two to remove any residual voltage. The power windows may need resetting also I'm told. Ed

So with everyone speaking of the computer learning one's driving habits...exactly how long does this take?

I specifically babied the thing through the break-in period...didn't go over 4,000 RPMs, no long times at the same rate of speed, no using Cruise Control, no Jack Rabbit starts & stops, etc.

Shouldn't one reset the ECU after break-in so that this base period of "bein' Grandma" is not in the computer?
How long does the "learn procedure" last?
Does it continue to learn or does it gather X Amount of Data and then set it's state of being until the next reset?

Latest posts

Back